T Nation

Starting With Heaviest Weight First?

Hi, I’m new to this forum. Not new to weight training. I was training in my early 20s (now 30) and got in decent shape, though didnt have anything like a decent diet. Then suffered a couple of nasty injuries which have set me back, oh and I met a girl/got married (contentment crept in)!

I’m looking at building muscle, not too much and then getting cut - i’ve put on a shed load of fat in the past few years!

My basic training follows this pattern - 5 days chest/back/arms/shoulders/legs.

Chest: Hammerstrength incline/decline/flat/incline flies with dumbbells

Back: Hammerstrength wide grip pull down/row/isolated row/lower back hyperextensions with weigths

Arms: Tricep - v bar pushdown/reverse grip pushdown/overhead barbell extensions
Biceps - smith machine/dumbbells

Shoulders: dumbbell side/rear/front/shrugs

Legs: extensions/calf raises/seated curl/press

I do 10-12 reps 4 sets for all of these

Does this sound like a decent program? I’m not mentioning diet for now as I am reading through past posts.

Also, I was bouncing some ideas of a guy I work with who is in decent shape. He suggested that I should start with the heaviest weight first and then reduce with each set. Reckons it maximises tear - that increasing weight with sets builds up lactic acid so you won’t lift as much and creat as much trauma when you get to your third/fourth set.

Any advice would be good.

[quote]Paul Davies wrote:
My basic training follows this pattern - 5 days chest/back/arms/shoulders/legs.

Chest: Hammerstrength incline/decline/flat/incline flies with dumbbells

Back: Hammerstrength wide grip pull down/row/isolated row/lower back hyperextensions with weigths

Arms: Tricep - v bar pushdown/reverse grip pushdown/overhead barbell extensions
Biceps - smith machine/dumbbells

Shoulders: dumbbell side/rear/front/shrugs

Legs: extensions/calf raises/seated curl/press

I do 10-12 reps 4 sets for all of these

Does this sound like a decent program? I’m not mentioning diet for now as I am reading through past posts.

Any advice would be good.[/quote]

Welcome to the forums… Now trash your current program and create a new one.

Seriously, lose the Hammer Strength machines and create a program that is designed around compound exercises:

Squat
Bench press (Barbell or Dumbell)
Deadlift
Standing Military Press

Look into Bill Starrs or Mark Rippetoe’s 5x5 Programs and follow them - you will see results.

Or, you could listen to your buddy, get discouraged, and give up after 2 1/2 weeks.

Good luck.

starting with the lightest weight in an exercise and increasing it every set messed me up mentally, i need to have that heavy weight and maximal effort right from the start

[quote]cyph31 wrote:
starting with the lightest weight in an exercise and increasing it every set messed me up mentally, i need to have that heavy weight and maximal effort right from the start[/quote]

Messed you up mentally? Um, okay.

Did you even read his post?

The OP is a beginner for all intensive purpoeses. I’m pretty sure lifting with maximum effort is not exactly ideal for him at this juncture.

Agreed with Polish Rifle. Ditch the machines and focus on the basics. Also, for back development, do a variety of rows (bent over BB, cable w/ varying grips) and pullups (weighted if you can). This, combined with what Polish Rifle outlined, will be a ticket to success. I used to be a machine-guru until about 2 weeks ago, I became totally addicted to squats and deadlifts.

Nice thoughts…!!

Shelly Smith…

weight training

Definitely take a look at Rippetoe’s Starting Strength or Bill Starr’s 5x5 program. You need to build a foundation of strength before you can use machines for everything. Even Waterbury’s (an author here) total body training programs can be very beneficial for you for a limited amount of time… search his articles here. Best of luck. Remember: train heavy, use compound movements (barbell rows, military press, bench presses, deadlifts, squats), eat big, and lift consistently.

[quote]PB Andy wrote:
Definitely take a look at the date of the OP […] [/quote]
fixed

Squat
Deadlift
Dip
Bench
Overhead Press
Pull Up
Chin Up

5x5 or whatever it takes to get to 25
Ramp it starting with 70% of max up to 85-90%
Concentric as fast as possible

[quote]Paul Davies wrote:

I’m looking at building muscle, not too much and then getting cut

Any advice would be good.[/quote]

advice??, you never write this kind of things on T-Nation

GUYS LET THIS DIE IT’S AN OLD ASS THREAD!

Holy necrophilia!!! I didn’t realize that the original post is over a year old. Heh. That’s great. OP gets ripped into twice thanks to what looks like a spam bot.

fucking spam bot!