Starting TRT and, of Course, I Have a Question

The results are in!

Albumin = 5.1 (range = 3.5 -4.8 gm/dl)

SHGB = 35 (range = 10 - 80 nmoles/l)

Cortisol = 25.2 (range = 6.7 - 22.6 mcg/dl)

Total test = 387.1 (range = 193 - 950 ng/dl)

If you plug all of that into a calculator it means my bio-available test is 192 ng/dl. :confused:

Prescribed:
Dual testosterone 200mg/ml in two .4ml injections per week.

Arimidex .5mg capsule, take one with each injection.

This is my first time on TRT and I’m curious if those more informed than myself think the dosage seems appropriate. The main goal is fat loss, restore libido, strength, etc., I’m 5’7" or so with probably 20% - 25% bodyfat at 195 lbs, down from a recent 200+.

My first thought was the test injection was a bit high at 80mg, twice per week.

Testosterone dose is a bit high for a starting dose, you may not need that much. Most guys don’t.

Too much Adex for a starting dose too. Adex is powerful stuff, seriously. Browse the intermet and you’ll find plenty of guys who tanked their E2 with it. It’s best practice to start low and titrate up if necessary. Try .25mg after each injection to start.

Please read these stickies: [there are 7]

• advice for new guys <== note first paragraph
  • protocol for injections

Need more info about you as per the first sticky.

You should have had LH/FSH tested before starting TRT.

Labs: - do you have other lab work? [with ranges]
TT
FT
E2
PSA if over 40
LH/FSH
Prolactin if LH/FSH are low [expected]
TSH

Fat gain can be from low T and low thyroid function.

Labs: - do you have other lab work? [with ranges]

TT = 387.1 ng/dl (range = 193 - 950 ng/dl)

FT = (T4) 1.23 ng/dl (range = .8 - 1.8 ng/dl)
(T4 Thyroxine) 7.7 mcg/dl (range = 4.5 - 11.7 mcg/dl)
(T3 Free) 3.0 pg/ml (range = 2.0 - 4.4 pg/ml)
(T3 Total) 1.0 ng/ml (range = .8 - 2.0 ng/ml)
(T3 Reverse, LC/MS/NS) 18 ng/dl (range = 8 - 25 ng/dl)
(T Uptake) 1.2 TBI (range = .8 - 1.3 TBI)

E2 (estradiol?) = 9.0 pg/ml (range = 0-47.0 pg/ml)

PSA if over 40 = .528 ng/ml (I’m 35) (range = 0 - 3.9 ng/ml)

LH/FSH = (LH = 7.0 mIU/ml range = 1.2 - 8.6 mIU/ml)

FSH = 2.8 mIU/ml (range = 1.27 - 19.26 mIU/ml)

Prolactin if LH/FSH are low [expected] = 8.89 ng/ml (range = 4.04-15.2 ng/ml)

TSH = 2.39 mcIU/ml (range = .3-5.0 mcIU/ml)

A few more numbers:

Insulin = 4.0 mU/ml (range = 2.6 - 24.9 mU/ml)

DHEA Sulfate = 325 mcg/dl (range = 160 - 449 mcg/dl)

Thyroglobulin Antibody= 12 IU/ml (range = 10 - 115 IU/ml)

IGF-1 = 197 ng/ml (range = 88 - 246 ng/ml)

TPO Antibody = 8.1 IU/ml (range 5.0 - 34.0 IU/ml)

Sorry, I had read some of the stickies, I’ll read the rest ASAP. I was posting from a tablet too and it’s a pain in the ass lol.

Thanks for taking a look at my numbers.

I just received my results earlier today and haven’t started the injections or Arimidex yet. I work third shift so I won’t even have everything until tomorrow.

I’m planning to cut the test dose in half (80 mg total per week in two 40 mg shots) and see how that works since I’m going back for more bloodwork in a month. I figure I can adjust the dose from there, if needed.

I was planning to cut the arimidex pills in half to halve that dose as well but they’re .5 mg powder filled capsules. I’m not sure how I’ll make that work.

Picked up the remaining stuff today.

Copy Pasta from one of the stickies:

-age - 35

-height -5’7"-5’8"

-waist- 37" (around the navel)

-weight -192.4 lbs when I woke today

-describe body and facial hair- very thick, here and there a white hair or a dozen.

-describe where you carry fat and how changed- mostly on my face and torso, under my arms.

-health conditions, symptoms [history]

-Rx and OTC drugs, any hair loss drugs or prostate drugs ever -no

– real dangers! see this http://propeciahelp.com/overvi…

-lab results with ranges:
Albumin = 5.1 (range = 3.5 -4.8 gm/dl)

SHGB = 35 (range = 10 - 80 nmoles/l)

Cortisol = 25.2 (range = 6.7 - 22.6 mcg/dl)

Total test = 387.1 (range = 193 - 950 ng/dl)

(T4) 1.23 ng/dl (range = .8 - 1.8 ng/dl)

(T4 Thyroxine) 7.7 mcg/dl (range = 4.5 - 11.7 mcg/dl)

(T3 Free) 3.0 pg/ml (range = 2.0 - 4.4 pg/ml)

(T3 Total) 1.0 ng/ml (range = .8 - 2.0 ng/ml)

(T3 Reverse, LC/MS/NS) 18 ng/dl (range = 8 - 25 ng/dl)

(T Uptake) 1.2 TBI (range = .8 - 1.3 TBI)

E2 = 9.0 pg/ml (range = 0-47.0 pg/ml)

LH = 7.0 mIU/ml range = 1.2 - 8.6 mIU/ml)

FSH = 2.8 mIU/ml (range = 1.27 - 19.26 mIU/ml)

Prolactin if LH/FSH are low [expected] = 8.89 ng/ml (range = 4.04-15.2 ng/ml)

TSH = 2.39 mcIU/ml (range = .3-5.0 mcIU/ml)

Insulin = 4.0 mU/ml (range = 2.6 - 24.9 mU/ml)

DHEA Sulfate = 325 mcg/dl (range = 160 - 449 mcg/dl)

Thyroglobulin Antibody= 12 IU/ml (range = 10 - 115 IU/ml)

IGF-1 = 197 ng/ml (range = 88 - 246 ng/ml)

TPO Antibody = 8.1 IU/ml (range 5.0 - 34.0 IU/ml)

-describe diet [some create substantial damage with starvation diets] - for the past 3 weeks or so (beginning immediately after my initial blood draw) I’ve been using the keto diet 5 days out of the week and carb re-feeding on the weekend, up to 200 grams/day. For the past week or so I’ve added intermittent fasting to the mix, during my keto days.
Example: I wake up at around 6pm, eat a couple of chicken thighs or some 80/20 ground beef then go to work and eat again after the kids are at school, around 8:45am and that’s more of the same or some eggs or cream cheese with stevia. LOOOTS of water and unsweetened coffee.

-describe training [some ruin there hormones by over training]- up until I pulled something in my left pec/delt tie-in I was benching twice a week with accessories, and deadlifting and squatting once per week. The goal was to compete in a bench competition this March, but I kept losing strength, hence the initial bloodwork.There was usually some light leg work thrown in on bench days.
Bench = 275 for 8 but the most I’ve put up for a single within the past few months is 315.
Squat = never learned to squat properly, fragged a knee trying to hit 405. I don’t go beyond 315 any more and always over a bench or box.
Deadlift = I don’t go beyond 405. I can usually hit that for a few reps.

Since deciding to shed fat, strength be damned and starting the keto plan, my workout routine now looks like this:

At work, throughout the week, every working day:
10 sets of 15 lateral raises
10 sets of 5 strict pull ups
10 sets of 10 (each side) step ups holding a random object
10 sets of 10 curls with another random object

On the weekend:
C.T.'s 100 rep trap bar workout
200 rep set on flat bench (I saw it on youtube, tried it and loved it)

-testes ache, ever, with a fever?- they’re a bit sensitive sometimes, particularly the left, but no fever

-how have morning wood and nocturnal erections changed- less frequent than when I was in my 20’s

The wife just gave me the first shot good for 40 mg of test and I took one arimidex capsule.

I had a follow-up blood draw a couple of weeks ago and the doctor just called and gave me a brief overview of the results. Conflicting schedules so I can’t make it out there. The first shot was .4 ml (80 mg) but after that I dropped it to .3 ml (60 mg).

After just over 1 month with two 60 mg injections per week (prescribed two 80 mg injections per week) my total test was 437. A gain of 50 ng/dl lol. It’s progress!

He suggested bumping the dosage to 100 mg twice per week. I was planning to drop down to 100 mg once per week…

Good thinking. I wouldn’t increase it by another 120mg in a single go. Moving to 100-120 a week would be a next logical step.

-Jim

[quote]The_Jed wrote:

-describe diet [some create substantial damage with starvation diets] - for the past 3 weeks or so (beginning immediately after my initial blood draw) I’ve been using the keto diet 5 days out of the week and carb re-feeding on the weekend, up to 200 grams/day. For the past week or so I’ve added intermittent fasting to the mix, during my keto days.
Example: I wake up at around 6pm, eat a couple of chicken thighs or some 80/20 ground beef then go to work and eat again after the kids are at school, around 8:45am and that’s more of the same or some eggs or cream cheese with stevia. LOOOTS of water and unsweetened coffee.

[/quote]

Ketogenic diet with I.F. & intermittent fasting have their place, but, honestly, you probably should put that to the side for right now. Just eat real food. If you want to limit carbs, then fine, but going full keto it really probably not of any benefit. Especially if you’re re-feeding a couple days a week, you’re really not running too much on ketones. You’re just in a middle zone that kinda sucks.

My advice is to eat about 100-200 grams of carbs per day from some clean source like rice, sweet potato, apples, citrus, etc.

I wouldn’t even have taken the arimidex if I were you, unless blood tests show a need for it. At 80-100 mg testosterone per week, a lot of guys would not need any arimidex. Almost nobody with T = 437 would need arimidex. Especially so in your case, where your E2 was very low in the initial tests, meaning that you don’t aromatize a lot of T to E anyway. You actually should try to RAISE your E2 somewhat, not lower it.

Arimidex is a strange drug - it can negate a lot of the benefits of TRT in many guys who take it, irrespective of whether their numbers look good on it. I often see posts by guys who seemed to have good numbers on arimidex but felt better when adjusting their protocol to eliminate the need for arimidex. So my feeling is that it is always better to try doing without arimidex first and only introduce it if symptoms of high estrogen arise.

Thanks, fellas.

Shortly after the previous post I fucked up my shoulders, said to hell with it and stopped taking the test. I’ll just age and be small.
shrug