T Nation

Starting to Hate the Bench Press

Try performing heavier rows, or any heavy horizontal pulling exercises. It will help your bench.

I honestly believe that sometimes problems like this are all mental. About a year and a half ago I started lifting again after several years off the iron. I’m not tiny guy. Then I was about 185 pounds at 6’1.

For about a month, my one rep max was 135 pounds. One day, for whatever reason, I walked into the gym with a different attitude and benched it for 12 reps, no problem. A few days later I was struggling to put it up twice again.

I took another short break from lifting and came back with a generally better feeling about life. 135 wasn’t even worth a warm up set.

I don’t know if you could be having a similar problem-your so focused on overcoming 235 that you almost expect to fail- take some time to think about it, build yourself up, and decide to overcome any mental/emotional blocks that might be hindering your goal.

[quote]Westclock wrote:
Incline dumbell press is what you need.

Flat bench just doesn’t use your chest that well if your tall, your range of motion is ungainly and awkward.

[/quote]

I’ve always felt that the incline bench is a lot more awkward for me. I have a 6’7 wingspan, and Bench press has always been a weird movement for me. Anything you know about incline technique and tall people?

In what part of the ROM do you stick?