Starting Tire Flipping

I finally got the tire. They guy said it was between 600 and 700 lbs. Its fuckin heavy! I was only able to get 1 1/2 flips of it today, but it was only my first day

[quote]Ghost22 wrote:
pyrosive wrote:
Alright cool, thanks. Any advice for technique or any tips? Or is it just a basic pick it up and flip it.

Get someone to show you or look it up.

The key is to push INTO the tire not to try to pick it up. It’s kind of hard to explain, but you actually set your feet further back and push into the tire to get it off the ground. [/quote]

FWIW I weigh 123 and can flip a 400lb tire multiple times so go at least 700.

I did a contest last year and got a lot of good advice on technique. Don’t deadlift it. Like this poster mentioned, drive into it with your chest like you’re trying to push it. Stabilise it with your arms wrapped around a bit. As you push, the front edge will catch on the ground forcing the leading edge down and the rear end up. As the rear end rises a bit, keep forcing it up with your chest until you can get a knee under it to push it all the way up and over.

I may have a video on my profile. I can’t remember.

Thanks for the vid and advice. I was trying to deadlift it too much I guess

This is how you should flip a tire.

Yeah,that’s me in the vid. =p

Got 3 consecutive today. Rested 1 minute, then got another one.

Very happy about this. Hoping to get 3 followed by another 3 after a 2 minutes break on friday

[quote]pyrosive wrote:
Got 3 consecutive today. Rested 1 minute, then got another one.

Very happy about this. Hoping to get 3 followed by another 3 after a 2 minutes break on friday[/quote]

Congrats!

We flipped a tire for the first time on Wednesday. About a 300 lb tire. Flipped it 12 times down, rested one minute and flipped it 12 times back. (one rep) Did four reps and was toasted! Two days later and my forearms still hurt. I will have to improve my technique.

I’m lucky enough to have a kick ass tenant that got two tires for my back yard. One is 250, the other is 450. I do conditioning with the 250: flips super set with sledge hammer. I flipped the 450 twice today and it was hard as hell. I don’t remember the 400 being so tough.

Does anyone find a difference flipping on grass versus concrete? I’d always done it on a hard surface but am doing it on grass now.

I just took it up to my gym and dropped it off there so everyone could use it. Its on a pretty flat surface now on pavement so it should be easier to flip

http://www.elitefts.com/documents/tire_flipping.htm

Nice article. My flips are actually at 7 so I’m looking for a new tire right now. Should take a bit longer to find this one but hopefully I will

[quote]mistabreeze wrote:
http://www.elitefts.com/documents/tire_flipping.htm[/quote]

Hey, that was great, leave it to elitefts eh? Now I just need to get my hands on one.