T Nation

Starting Tire Flipping

I'm looking to get into tire flips. I won't have problems finding the tire, but I need some advise on what weight and size to get. I'm 5' 8" 190 and I can deadlift 425, what do you think would be a good weight for the tire to be?
Anything I need to know about the technique?
Basically I want to know whatever a beginner getting into tire flips needs to know
Thanks

Is that a 425 with out straps or with and I would shoot for a 500-600 lbs any lighte will be to easy and much heavier you will start to let your form get loose and this is a exercise with a horrible reputation for tearing biceps so you dont want to start to heavy.

Without straps. I do use chalk however. Thanks for the info. I was thinking of starting with a 400-500 lb tire but maybe Ill look more towards the 500 end

yeah I would not go even a pound below 500

Yeah the 500 atleast

Alright cool, thanks. Any advice for technique or any tips? Or is it just a basic pick it up and flip it.

With a 425 deadlift, I say go for a 600-700 tire. You’ll be able to flip it and should be somewhat of a challenge once you get over 5-6 reps. This leaves you plenty of room to progress with just one tire. You’ll outgrow anything lighter very quickly.

Oh wow. Alright thanks guys. Hopefully Ill find one soon

[quote]malonetd wrote:
With a 425 deadlift, I say go for a 600-700 tire. You’ll be able to flip it and should be somewhat of a challenge once you get over 5-6 reps. This leaves you plenty of room to progress with just one tire. You’ll outgrow anything lighter very quickly.[/quote]

I’ll second this. My max deadlift is 450lbs, and I was able to flip a 725 tire in my first session at a local strongman gym. Only one rep amidst a load of fails, and I was beat up something stupid for about a week after that session, but if you go too much lighter it’ll get too easy pretty quickly. You could still use it for higher reps or medleys and stuff, but if you can only get one you may as well make it heavier so you get more mileage out of it. If I was getting one I’d ideally want a 700.

How do you determine the weight of the tire when you go to pick one up? It’s not stamped on those tractor tires, is it?

[quote]JPCleary wrote:
How do you determine the weight of the tire when you go to pick one up? It’s not stamped on those tractor tires, is it? [/quote]

There are charts with specifications in them. If you getting a tire from a place like a tire store they can look it up easily. Also, if you have the space you can get a few different sizes.

agreed, 500 lbs is way to light for a tire flip if you’re pulling over 400… 600-700 at least. though bicep tears are common, if you get your form down, it shouldn’t really be a problem. remember to drive forward with your shoulders and legs and then use the momentum to get it up… i like to throw a knee up under the tire, but some guys just use their gut

[quote]JPCleary wrote:
How do you determine the weight of the tire when you go to pick one up? It’s not stamped on those tractor tires, is it? [/quote]

if you’re getting it from a tractor place, i’m sure they’ll have a scale, most places with giant tires like that will have huge scales

What’s the price you all have paid for one?

I’ve used tires from the Military and trained with them in the parking lot of where I train, so I’ve never bought one, but I’m thinking about having one in my garage.

[quote]pyrosive wrote:
Alright cool, thanks. Any advice for technique or any tips? Or is it just a basic pick it up and flip it.[/quote]

Get someone to show you or look it up.

The key is to push INTO the tire not to try to pick it up. It’s kind of hard to explain, but you actually set your feet further back and push into the tire to get it off the ground.

Alright thanks everyone, I’ll look up the technique and I already got an email from a guy about the wanted ad I put on craigslist.

How exactly does the tire’s weight correspond to how much you’re lifting?

Like, for example, for a 600lb tire, when you get underneath it with your hands and go to flip it, how much weight does it feel you’re lifting? Obviously it’s not the full 600 pounds, but it wouldn’t necessarily just be half either.

[quote]pyrosive wrote:
Alright thanks everyone, I’ll look up the technique and I already got an email from a guy about the wanted ad I put on craigslist.

How exactly does the tire’s weight correspond to how much you’re lifting?

Like, for example, for a 600lb tire, when you get underneath it with your hands and go to flip it, how much weight does it feel you’re lifting? Obviously it’s not the full 600 pounds, but it wouldn’t necessarily just be half either.[/quote]

Man dude, that seems like a pretty small detail when you’re doing tire work. I couldn’t begin to figure that one out.

I was just wondering. I’m still gonna do them, but it would be cool to know how much I’m actually lifting

[quote]BradTGIF wrote:
What’s the price you all have paid for one?
[/quote]

Just about everyone I know has gotten their tire for free. I got mine for free and am possibly getting a second one for free. If you can find a scrapyard that has junk tires, they will generally give them away because otherwise they have to pay a disposal fee.

[quote]pyrosive wrote:
I was just wondering. I’m still gonna do them, but it would be cool to know how much I’m actually lifting[/quote]

You’re lifting a 600 pound tire. Seriously, you can’t get all wrapped in converting this stuff. It means nothing and translates to nothing.