Starting the Velocity Diet

My first foray into the diabolical world of T-Nation posting, and I choose to chronicle my success/failure on the velocity diet. Maybe my ambition exceeds my willpower, maybe not…time will tell.

The facts

I am 31 years old and have been training seriously for 5 years now.

I am posting here to help maintain my willpower during this experiment.

My goal is to lose 10 pounds of blubber while maintaining or increasing all of my lifts.

Currently my raw lifts are…

BP 400
Sq 480
Dl 520

My current bodyweight is 230, 37 inch waist, and I stand a stocky 5’11".

As soon as all my supps arrive from this lovely site, it is a head first dive into the unknown for me. I am planning a 16 day cycle, which puts me at thanksgiving…heh heh. I figure the highly restricted calories alone will account for the 10 pounds, possibly by the end of week 1.

With the support of all the great people on this site, I hope I can stay the course.

Lift heavy, lift hard, go home!

Eric

I think you’ll be setting a record if you can get 10 pounds the first week. The average seems to be between 5 and 7 pounds. I’ve been on the diet just over 2 weeks. I was down 6 pounds after week one, and lost another 3 this past week.

Good to see you’re motivated to keep lifting heavy while on the diet, but unless you weren’t getting much protein in your regular diet, I doubt you’ll break a PR. I’m not saying it can’t be done, but it would be very difficult.

i lost 15 lbs my first week on the diet, and am down quite a few on my second current run.
it really depends on what you have been eating before the diet.

if you are eating healthy foods, weight wont be much. but if taco bell/carls jr was your staple food before, you will lose more

[quote]Doug Adams wrote:
I think you’ll be setting a record if you can get 10 pounds the first week. The average seems to be between 5 and 7 pounds. I’ve been on the diet just over 2 weeks. I was down 6 pounds after week one, and lost another 3 this past week.

Good to see you’re motivated to keep lifting heavy while on the diet, but unless you weren’t getting much protein in your regular diet, I doubt you’ll break a PR. I’m not saying it can’t be done, but it would be very difficult.[/quote]

Hell the last time I did the diet I lost 10lbs in about 4-5 days. Like BFC said, it’s all about how calorie-restricted you were before you started the diet and how much water your body naturally holds onto.

Also it’s related to how easy your body sheds excess water on a low carb diet. 10lbs in the first week is certainly not even close to the record.

Hey man, I started the V-diet as well on 11/6. If you need a motivational partner during this deal just holler at me. I’ve done it once before. The first few days are the roughest but after that it’s easier.

Let us know how you’re doing.

Day 1 was today. Surprisingly not much difficulty, except when the bacon cheeseburger ad came on the radio! Other than that today went great. Had a good workout, upped my workload as usual. Only thing I noticed was my squat was not as explosive, but that was probably unrelated to the diet.

Work days are going to be a breeze on the diet. The trouble will arise on the weekends when I am home and have the refrigerator close by. I plan on keeping busy as much as possible on the weekends to avoid temptation. Hope that little psychological game works!

Heres the daily food log

meals 1,2,3,4,6
2 scoops Low-Carb Metabolic Drive, 1 tsp milled flax, and 3 fish oil tabs

meal 5
1 scoop Metabolic Drive Complete
3 fish oil tabs

works out to roughly 1700 calories

Hog lover, any support is appreciated, and I hope I can offer the same to you.

11/9/06 workout

squat
135x10 225x5 315x1 405x1 485 tanked

hang clean (super set with squat)
225x3x3
245x2x3

total superset time 13 minutes

RG Bent over row
135x12
215x4x12

Bench (super set with rg row)
135x10 225x5 315x1 365x2x2

time after super set 28:30

Decline DB tri ext
45x4x9

Standing DB curl (super set with tri)
45x4x10

total workout time 40:30

upped volume about 5% and decreased time by 4:30 over previous workout.

Other than the tanked squat quite successful!

Keep up the good work! I am on day 18 and things are going great. If you are like me the key is to fight the small battles one at a time. Just don’t give up! It can be so easy to lose to temptation.

Neo