T Nation

Starting Strength: The Guide


#161

No i don’t have a recovery shake (poor grad student with not a lot of income), but I can do the foam rollers, I have access to some.


#162

[quote]gisfinest01 wrote:
Hey, I have a question bout the program. I have doing with great success. My numbers have greatly improved over the last few months. But the issue is that it is taking longer recover than it used too. I worked out last week on mon and I was still too sore to do my wed squats.

I have only been going up in 10lb increments the last few weeks, so I have not been taking big jumps. I rest 6-8 hours a day, and I have greatly improved my eating habits, but I will admit they still need to improve. What do you suggest that I do? [/quote]

This is to be expected. When my progress started to slow and I was getting sore, I only added 5 lbs each week. The point is to delay deloading for as long as possible. Eventually, and I mean eventually you will have to graduate to a more advanced program.


#163

Okay I will try the smaller jumps and see what happens. Then if it keeps happening, Ill do a deload.


#164

I am in Week 6 of SS

I stalled on proper squat technique at the start of Week 3 deloaded and built back up to the same weight 115kg (345lbs) and can now rep that. Although trap pain is annoying now. Because of trap pain I started to do Front Squats at the start of Week 5 then got from 85kg - 97.5kg (completing) by the end of Week 6.

My deadlift is firmly stuck at about 140kg (300lbs) which is annoying me now end. My shoulder press is hovering around 115lbs. My powerclean is slowly creeping to completely 72.5kg (160lbs).

Finally my bench which started at a 2RM of 67.5kg (150lbs) is now at 72.5kg (160lbs) of which I am missing the last 3 reps, even though I try to do the combo below, so I drop down to 70kg but hopefully by end of Week 7 (a bench week) I might touch 75kg and be 5kg off BW 1.0x . Which is pretty sweet.

If I feel that I can’t do a weight without losing technique then I don’t do it. Also I always stop at active failure and just add on the missed reps into a final set, ie I might do 4-4-3-4, so will always do 15 reps.


#165

I am on the Starting Strength program now but will be on holiday in 2 weeks but will still get gym access! However, I will also be playing pick up basketball (half court-- sometimes it gets me sore) 2-3 times a week on days I will not be lifting, will that be alright?


#166

Only you will be able to tell.


#167

Last year around the same time, before I moved to Australia from Hong Kong. I had been doing the same and still moved my ATG squat from 125lbs 3x5 up to 200lbs+ for 3x5 in about 6-8 weeks. (Some of it the strength gains was muscle memory and also I didn’t have school at all–holiday-- so I had loads of time to recover)


#168

This workout scares me. I don’t want to do it alone!!


#169

It scares you?


#170

???

Let’s break it down to really simple terms - start with the bar and add 5 lbs each workout, for each exercise.


#171

Hey guys, I have been doing SS for about 6 weeks now and would like to add bentover rows (I believe that is the correct term) to the program to help my upper back. Would it be best to do them on the days I don’t deadlift? Also, does anyone know a good set/rep to use for them? Is it a big deal if I have 5 lifts on on workout B and only 4 on workout A? Because if I add rows like I plan to, thats what will happen.


#172

[quote]ninjaboy wrote:
It scares you?[/quote]

I’m used to doing DB bench and curls and that crap not squats, deadlifts and powercleans. I guess I am afraid I am going to loose my balance or something.


#173

Ah, that’s why you start with the bar. One of the main points of this workout is to get you familiar with the big lifts, and then to build strength in them. Also, if you have access to a power cage, you can do squats pretty safely. As long as you focus on keeping your form correct, and start light, you shouldn’t have any problems.


#174

[quote]fisch wrote:
Hey guys, I have been doing SS for about 6 weeks now and would like to add bentover rows (I believe that is the correct term) to the program to help my upper back. Would it be best to do them on the days I don’t deadlift? Also, does anyone know a good set/rep to use for them? Is it a big deal if I have 5 lifts on on workout B and only 4 on workout A? Because if I add rows like I plan to, thats what will happen.[/quote]

Workout B
3x5 Squat
3x5 Standing military press
3x5 Barbell row

I believe Rippetoe prefers the trainee to do power cleans, and rows if necessary. I opted for barbell rows … just because.


#175

I have just looked at the front page again I swear I cant recall anything about

2x8 dips/chins in SS book (1st ed). I am currently going through SS, pretty well, but should I put them in?


#176

[quote]echelon101 wrote:
I have just looked at the front page again I swear I cant recall anything about

2x8 dips/chins in SS book (1st ed). I am currently going through SS, pretty well, but should I put them in?[/quote]

I think that is from the website

I added them in because I did not have the book, but used this website instead. I’m still alive :wink: I also think it helped. The choice is yours to make.


#177

Well I am following the program in it’s raw form, eventhough I am technically not a lifting novice, although am with a pure strength program. I have been getting some pretty good gains since I am in Week 8.

I am going on holiday for 5 days in December (Week 11) so I will probably “deload” into the Turbulence Training bodyweight split with chins. Then go back to Rippetoe SS then retest my maxes in Week 14.

If I am bored then I might go WS4SB because that looks fun or then again I might be rowing again so I will be getting my own program.


#178

check out 5/3/1 - it’s been fun so far; it appears to be really good for long term gains


#179

[quote]TheDudeAbides wrote:
fisch wrote:
Hey guys, I have been doing SS for about 6 weeks now and would like to add bentover rows (I believe that is the correct term) to the program to help my upper back. Would it be best to do them on the days I don’t deadlift? Also, does anyone know a good set/rep to use for them? Is it a big deal if I have 5 lifts on on workout B and only 4 on workout A? Because if I add rows like I plan to, thats what will happen.

Workout B
3x5 Squat
3x5 Standing military press
3x5 Barbell row

I believe Rippetoe prefers the trainee to do power cleans, and rows if necessary. I opted for barbell rows … just because. [/quote]

I do Power cleans instead of the rows, but one of the assitance exercises in the book is rows, and I don’t ever feel my upper back being worked (sometimes slightly by the deads, but not very much, mostly hams and lower back from deads). I do chins or dips depending on the day also.


#180

Should I get the first or second edition?