Starting Strength: The Guide

[quote]scanzler wrote:
…Quick question from someone about to go on it.

I’m 6’1 and 152 (not 175 as i recently thought, just weighed today) and bout to go on SS.

I don’t know how much weight to put on the bar, since all this seems barbell work. I don’t have much muscle at all, and I’m looking to change that by eating big, drinking whey, and doing SS.

How much should I start out with as far as weight goes? Just counting the weights themselves, not the bar.

• thanks in advance
    [/quote]

Start with an empty bar and put your lower body exercises (Squats and deadlifts) up by 10 lbs/workout. Put the others up by 5 lbs.

[quote]stuward wrote:
blue_star_cadet wrote:
What is a reasonable benchmark to set for beginner lifts? I’ve only heard 2x BW for squats and 1/2 your bench for standing press. The reason I ask is because my squat gains are slowing down/stalling and if your standing military press is supposed to be 1/2 of your bench, my bench should be much higher.

[/quote]

Thanks, appreciate it. This site is pretty sick.

[quote]stuward wrote:
scanzler wrote:
…Quick question from someone about to go on it.

I’m 6’1 and 152 (not 175 as i recently thought, just weighed today) and bout to go on SS.

I don’t know how much weight to put on the bar, since all this seems barbell work. I don’t have much muscle at all, and I’m looking to change that by eating big, drinking whey, and doing SS.

How much should I start out with as far as weight goes? Just counting the weights themselves, not the bar.

• thanks in advance

Start with an empty bar and put your lower body exercises (Squats and deadlifts) up by 10 lbs/workout. Put the others up by 5 lbs.
[/quote]

Ok, do you mean just do the bar for the first week, and increase it by 10lbs/5lbs the second week and so on? Or do you really mean the very second WORKOUT?

Hard to believe but you guys do know more then me.

Squats are done every workout so yes, you can put the weight up every time. The other exercises are done every second workout so put the weight up each time you do them. You should be able to make progress every workout, at least getting more reps, for quite some time.

here’s some advice for those planning to do the program (or already doing it). This may apply to people with some training experience rather than absolute beginners - or both, but I already had some training experience when I started:

Once a lift stalls, it’s a good idea to add in some pure hypertrophy exerices at the end of the workout(s). I personally have a hard time developing my shoulders and 3 sets of military press a week weren’t helping with hypertrophy at all.

So when I stalled on the military press like expected, I added 6 sets of pure bodybuilding exercies for shoulders (front and lateral raises basically) I kept on progressing easy the next session - and I can visually see the growth in the area, which could only mean more strength to come.

this could be applied to anything: if your bench stalls and you feel like the problem is your chest, add some partial dumbell presses each week. Or good mornings if you feel your lower back/hams are weak in the squat/deadlift.

Believe it or not, hypertrophy through curls will help a stalled pull up (i do supinated) and tricep isolation may help with weak triceps. The key is to only apply these methods when you stall and make sure you don’t do this for 10 bodyparts at the same time.

I would say 6 extra sets of hypertrophy work (8-12 range) every week per body part is a good start. Also, having some training experience and effectively spotting your weaknesses would be great assets.

hope this works for everyone else as well

I know the most the average person can hope to gain in a month is 2-3lbs, but what about beginners? I have heard really conflicting things about this, everything from 2 to 5lbs, which seems a bit on the high side. How much did you gain when you started out?

Thank you for this thread!
Makes it alot easier for a beginner to get started.

Is there only 1 set of deadlift?
Or am i misreading the program?
Started the program 2 weeks ago, and really like it!
Good way to get started!

theres only set dead of deads, but i also perform several warmup sets working into the main weight.

a beginner myself to the routine, but i must say it really is a decent routine. of course, im still getting weight increases from muscle memory (had a layoff before this) but even so, i can tell the difference in strength.

is pleased thus far

[quote]eggywontgrow wrote:
theres only set dead of deads, but i also perform several warmup sets working into the main weight.

a beginner myself to the routine, but i must say it really is a decent routine. of course, im still getting weight increases from muscle memory (had a layoff before this) but even so, i can tell the difference in strength.

is pleased thus far[/quote]

Im also doing warmup sets, but only two. Are you doing more? And i notice myself how my muscles ar learning the new movements, never trained with weights before, so its a new exsperience.

[quote]kalv wrote:
eggywontgrow wrote:

is pleased thus far

Im also doing warmup sets, but only two. Are you doing more? And i notice myself how my muscles ar learning the new movements, never trained with weights before, so its a new exsperience.[/quote]

i usually stick to 3 warmup sets before my work set. i tend to go with 2-3 warmups for most lifts.

This is going to sound very noobish, but that’s because I am.

When you go 3x5 is “3” the number of reps and “5” the number of sets?

When you go 3x5 is “3” the number of reps and “5” the number of sets?

[quote]IronNeverLies wrote:

When you go 3x5 is “3” the number of reps and “5” the number of sets?[/quote]

Other way around.

How do you guys manage missed workouts on this Rippetoes? I missed last week’s and forgot to go today, but going tomorrow would mean rewiring next week’s schedule entirely or squatting two days in a row, which might mess me up on the second day.

What do you do? Change your schedule (M/W/F to T/Th/S or other way around) or just squat with lower weights/increases in poundages each time?

[quote]blue_star_cadet wrote:
How do you guys manage missed workouts on this Rippetoes? I missed last week’s and forgot to go today, but going tomorrow would mean rewiring next week’s schedule entirely or squatting two days in a row, which might mess me up on the second day.

What do you do? Change your schedule (M/W/F to T/Th/S or other way around) or just squat with lower weights/increases in poundages each time?[/quote]

I think you need a day between workouts.

If i only miss one, i continue with the one i missed the next time i`m supposed to workout.

If you missed one, and still want to get three a week, then just change M/W/F to T/Th/S for a week and continue next week as if nothing happened:)

At least that`s what i think.

[quote]kalv wrote:
blue_star_cadet wrote:

What do you do? Change your schedule (M/W/F to T/Th/S or other way around) or just squat with lower weights/increases in poundages each time?

I think you need a day between workouts.

If i only miss one, i continue with the one i missed the next time i`m supposed to workout.

If you missed one, and still want to get three a week, then just change M/W/F to T/Th/S for a week and continue next week as if nothing happened:)

At least that`s what i think.
[/quote]

Seconded

If anybody is interested in an used copy of SS, i got one on sale on ebay.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=190265129164&_trksid=p3907.m32&_trkparms=tab%3DSelling

Hey, I have a question bout the program. I have doing with great success. My numbers have greatly improved over the last few months. But the issue is that it is taking longer recover than it used too. I worked out last week on mon and I was still too sore to do my wed squats.

I have only been going up in 10lb increments the last few weeks, so I have not been taking big jumps. I rest 6-8 hours a day, and I have greatly improved my eating habits, but I will admit they still need to improve. What do you suggest that I do?

Are you using a recovery drink/PWO shake? I noticed a significant decrease in recovery time when I started using Surge. Also, try doing some foam rolling.