T Nation

Starting Strength: The Guide

thanks again for the help boyscout, much appreciated.

[quote]boyscout wrote:
stuward wrote:
If you eat a lot of beef, try to get grass fed beef. It has a better fat profile and contains lots of CLA which can also help your BF%. I buy my beef from a local farmer, a quarter of a cow at a time. It costs a little more than from the grocery store but not much.

I’m freakin’ jealous. I wish I could buy beef like that, but I don’t have the freezer space. I don’t think I can fit another freezer in my efficiency apartment.

[/quote]

I actually have a whole side on order since the farmer had an extra quarter. They only do a few cows each year and the last quarter I had ran out too soon.

in the original post it it suggested you perform either power cleans or bb rows. however, in another thread, its suggested you perform power clans and not bb rows. any clarification to what the original routine states?

also, would your upper back not be lacking work with the loss of bb rows? or have i missed something?

cheers for the reply guys!

[quote]eggywontgrow wrote:
in the original post it it suggested you perform either power cleans or bb rows. however, in another thread, its suggested you perform power clans and not bb rows. any clarification to what the original routine states?

also, would your upper back not be lacking work with the loss of bb rows? or have i missed something?

cheers for the reply guys![/quote]

Rippetoe’s original program states power cleans, but they’re hard to learn. I did rows, but tried to learn to power clean well (unsuccessfully).

Both will hit your upper back. Rows will do more lat work. either will work most likely.

last question for this thread, i promise!

i got a friend to record me tryint to power clean. ive no idea if the form is correct etc, so if anybody has any experience and could have a look, that’d be great.
Apologies in advance over the recording coming out sideways, no idea to how remedy this.

Explore Inderpal Ladhar

about the form; the only thing i can say is…you might want to try to get underneath it more. you got the weight up fine b/c it was (or looked) light for you.

i’ll let others fine tune it though.

[quote]B rocK wrote:
about the form; the only thing i can say is…you might want to try to get underneath it more. you got the weight up fine b/c it was (or looked) light for you.

i’ll let others fine tune it though.[/quote]

thaks for a quick reply :slight_smile:

the movement itself felt very natural, ill stillw ait upon others for their input. the weight was fairly light-60kg. id say my max is only around 80kg, i guess this starting strength routine makes more sense with every post i make :smiley:

[quote]eggywontgrow wrote:
B rocK wrote:

i’ll let others fine tune it though.

thaks for a quick reply :slight_smile:

the movement itself felt very natural, ill stillw ait upon others for their input. the weight was fairly light-60kg. id say my max is only around 80kg, i guess this starting strength routine makes more sense with every post i make :D[/quote]

Don’t jump 20Kg at once. Do max 10Kg jumps for lower body and 5Kg on upper body, then slow it down as it gets harder.

how effective is this program?

[quote]ffmacareno wrote:
how effective is this program?[/quote]

Very, although I suppose it depends on your training age and goals.

Okay, so short and to the point (unlike my previous post which did not have one):

I am done with SS for now, because I am finding myself unable to make progress. It’s been a solid 5 weeks.

Final tally:
Squat: 225 3x5 (40lb increase-stalled)
Bench: 155 3x5 (only a 10lb increase-stalled)
DL: 320: 1x5 (only a 10 lb increase-stalled)
Power Clean: 155 3x5 (40lb increase-no stall)
Press: 115 3x5 (30 lb increase-stalled)

I may actually get to train with some powerlifters in my area next week, so I was thinking I’d take some time off from lifting until then.

My question: Any thoughts on what to do from a break after SS that will help me maintain my strength levels? Also, I am a bit worried that a week of doing nothing while eating at my current rate (approx 4000 calories) would blow me up very quickly.

HIIT Cardio? LSD? Some kind of GPP? what is a good option?

when I say I stalled, I mean most recently

Taking a week off will not cause you to lose strength. It will probably do you good. If you want a program to go to after SS, try Madcow’s 5x5, Texas method or WS4SB. There are lots of options.

Hi Stu,
I was thinking about doing EC’s maximum strength after my program, but I’m going to wait to see what this power lifter I know has in mind, though I doubt its as comprehensive.

Maybe I just wanted to make sure I felt good before I lifted again on Wednesday, and I feel strange not doing anything.

I just got MS from the library. It looks like a good program. It’s discussed widely on jpfitness and Eric comes on to answer questions fairly often.

Edit: I’ve been doing some more reading. You will make faster progress on Madcow’s 5x5. Expect about 20% improvement over about 12 weeks or so. With Max Strength, you could expect about 10% over 16 weeks. If you’re just finishing Starting strength, do Madcow or Texas method first, then do MS.

Hi Stuward,

Thanks for the advice. I do happen to have practical programming for strength training, which has the texas method in it, although when I searched for madcow on the internet I found it to be just as comprehensive as rippetoe’s guide.

It even has a spreadsheet! Still I’ll hold off for a bit, and see what this powerlifting dude has to say. Again thanks a bunch for the advice, Madcow looks really good.

what % of your 1 rep max are you supposed to use with starting strength? and is the progression like add weight when you feel good or new max or % increases per week? would 75% 1 rm for bench/squat/military press/cleans and 90% 1 rm for deads be good?

Using 1RM for a guide is not a good idea as most beginners don’t know their true 1RM. As well, the test for 1RM will cause adaptation and the 1RM will change. In fact, the hallmark of a beginner is that he makes progress quickly. Just pick a weight that is reasonably easy and put the weight up EVERY workout by regular amounts. Don’t make big jumps or you will stall prematurely.

What is a reasonable benchmark to set for beginner lifts? I’ve only heard 2x BW for squats and 1/2 your bench for standing press. The reason I ask is because my squat gains are slowing down/stalling and if your standing military press is supposed to be 1/2 of your bench, my bench should be much higher.

…Quick question from someone about to go on it.

I’m 6’1 and 152 (not 175 as i recently thought, just weighed today) and bout to go on SS.

I don’t know how much weight to put on the bar, since all this seems barbell work. I don’t have much muscle at all, and I’m looking to change that by eating big, drinking whey, and doing SS.

How much should I start out with as far as weight goes? Just counting the weights themselves, not the bar.

• thanks in advance

[quote]blue_star_cadet wrote:
What is a reasonable benchmark to set for beginner lifts? I’ve only heard 2x BW for squats and 1/2 your bench for standing press. The reason I ask is because my squat gains are slowing down/stalling and if your standing military press is supposed to be 1/2 of your bench, my bench should be much higher.[/quote]

http://www.exrx.net/Testing/WeightLifting/StrengthStandards.html