T Nation

Starting Strength: The Guide


#101

Well, if you’re happy with your strength levels, then you’ll most likely lose fat (and some muscle) with your current calorie intake. Unfortunately you can’t produce muscle out of nothing. Your body needs the calories in order to pack on mass (muscle).

If you’re eating the extra calories required to gain muscle, there is a chance that you’ll put on some fat, which, once you’re done “bulking”, you’ll burn off with extra HIIT and lowered calorie intake.

Right now I’m eating a lot of food, mostly healthy lean meats, milk, vegetables, fruits, some carbs, protein shakes and weight gainer shakes (high calorie). I’m hoping to reach about 170 lbs and then start cutting whatever fat I may put on during the big eating process.

The important thing to remember is that you’re not just eating and sitting on your ass. You’re still going to the gym and busting your ass off, so it’s not like you’re going to get all fat. Just eat big (but healthy), lift big, and get good rest.

It isn’t necessary to drop the HIIT, but, if you want to put on muscle, you’ll have to eat even more daily calories in order to break that ‘daily requirement’ because of the extra you’re burning off with your sprints, etc.


#102

So you guys think that I should up my calorie count rather than dropping the HIIT?


#103

Anyone know if it is advisable to do the Crossfit wod AND starting strength?


#104

[quote]Therizza wrote:
Anyone know if it is advisable to do the Crossfit wod AND starting strength? [/quote]

Do SS first. Experiment with Crossfit as you go along, especially the skills training. You can also do some metabolic training as you go. Eventually you will be strong enough from the SS program to fully participate in all the Crossfit workouts. Then cut out the SS add strength training for maintenance based on what you did in SS.

So yes, you can do them both but don’t try to do both full tilt at the same time.


#105

thanks


#106

Therizza, you should look up Max Effort Black Box on the crossfit forums, it’s a combination between heavy lifting and crossfit, I’ll find the template and post it in this thread


#107

Max Effort Black Box goes something like this

Day 1:
Squat 3x5
Overhead Press or Bench 3x5
Deadlift 1x5

Day 2:
WOD

Day 3:
WOD

Day 4:
Off

Rinse and repeat, you can change the ME lifts to whatever you need, but that’s the basic template


#108

That’s what I was talking about when I said “add strength training for maintenance based on what you did in SS.”


#109

Haven’t been around for a while thought I would post for some feedback. For the record this is at the end of the 3rd week I believe.

My squat is now at 205 3x5, but I do it powerlifting style (wider stance) with chucks on because I just think it’s better for me as a lanky individual. It’s not what Rippetoe calls for, but it’s what I feel the most comfortable with

My deadlift which I had been having trouble with I finally was able to get 315 today 1x5, which I think was really more of a mental victory than anything else.

My pressing is okay at around 105-110, which is good coming up from 85.

My bench however is only at 155 and I have been stalling on it. I tried to bench 155 today and I got 4-5-5 with a spot on the last rep of the last set. I’ll probably just try 155 again until I can get it by myself.

I don’t know if this is canon Rippetoe, but I count being able to get a weight by yourself as progress. The progress I am making may be slower then a rank novice, but it is still progress, so I am satisfied.

All in all I was very happy with starting strength in that I was able to consistently make gains about every time I walked into the weightroom. I’ve gotten at least 20lbs on most of the lifts in 3 weeks.

I don’t know how much longer these gains will last, but I think I’m just going to ride it out until I can’t increase the weights anymore. Also, I’ve found that even though carbs aren’t great for body composition, I need them, especially after a workout, in order to continue making progress.

My only gripe about my experience with starting strength is that I feel out of shape aerobically, but I don’t really want to incorporate running into my program, because then I would have to eat more food, which would just be annoying at this point.

Thoughts?


#110

Not to argue with the mighty Coach Rippetoe(not being sarcastic, I actually think the guy is amazing) but would I be able to substitute the standing military press for thew Arnold Press…?
I don’t see why not at the moment but I do know very little about this stuff…


#111

Bump


#112

[quote]Jereth127 wrote:
Not to argue with the mighty Coach Rippetoe(not being sarcastic, I actually think the guy is amazing) but would I be able to substitute the standing military press for thew Arnold Press…?
I don’t see why not at the moment but I do know very little about this stuff…

[/quote]

The Arnold Press just adds complexity to a lift that does the job.

“Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not simpler.” - Albert Einstein


#113

Will adding cardio (running 3-4 miles a day) hurt my gains? I’ve been improving in strength more or less every workout, but I can’t add much more than 10 lbs to an exercise before hurting my form.

I really want to restrict fat gains (started lifting maybe two months ago, on Rippetoes for a month and a half and with proper form for a month or so) and I’ve almost gained 15 lbs from 165, roughly 15% body fat.

I don’t want to compromise my strength gains, but I really don’t want to get fat again either.


#114

Running could hurt your gains but your volume is borderline. Long distance running can consume muscle. The distance you are running will not help any and may slow down your gains. You would be better off with some short sprints or HIIT. You will get the same cardio benefits and better fat burning in a shorter time with better muscle preserving results.

Fat Gain vs muscle gain is a balancing act. You can’t serve 2 masters. Either you will have to put up with the fat gain or settle for less that optimal strength and muscle gains.

Whether you gain fat or muscle will mostly be a factor of your diet. Cardio is just a way of creatng a calorie deficit. You can do that easier by just eating less.

You can maximize your chances of a clean bulk by making most of your diet consist of lean meat, fish and poultry, lots of veg and fruit, fish oil tablets and other good fats. Minimize dairy, grains, potatoes and beans except on lifting days. These are the foods that will provide energy for your workouts and will provide the calorie surplus needed for growth.


#115

i have another post regarding my routine i made. but i think it would be alot simpler-AND SMARTER- if instead of designing my own routines which probably suck, to just follow a tried and tested one that is proven to work, hence me being in this thread. just a question or 2 if anyone has time:

-do deadlifts stand for conventional deadlifts, or could i switch in something like romanian deads?

-could i add in some core work at the end of the day? (weighted crunches, side bends etc) -one exercise per day, for 2-4 sets, or should i leave this out?

-bb bench press gives me shoulder problems. could i switch this out for db presses or inc db presses?

editing in questions:
-eventually, would you not come to a point where squatting 3x a week is too much (once uve built up strength and can handle much heavier loads). once u achieve this, or once the routine fails to provide results, what routine would you recomend moving onto?

-would it be okay to perform some gpp on 1 off day? (light sandbag carrying, farmers) or would this be overkill?

sorry for all the questions, but id just feel more comfortable knowing everything i feel i need to know before starting. :slight_smile:

other than those 4 questions, im looking forward to starting this from monday, rather than follow on with some routine i made which probably wouldnt be as efficient.

thanks in advance to any help provided


#116

How much fish oil would you say most people need in a day? I am starting to increase my beef consumption, but I just use regular fish oil (bulk stuff from Costco or whatever.) Does minimizing dairy also apply to Rippetoes’ ‘gallon of whole milk a day’ thing? Like, only do this on lifting days or something else?


#117

[quote]blue_star_cadet wrote:
stuward wrote: You can maximize your chances of a clean bulk by making most of your diet consist of lean meat, fish and poultry, lots of veg and fruit, fish oil tablets and other good fats. Minimize dairy, grains, potatoes and beans except on lifting days. These are the foods that will provide energy for your workouts and will provide the calorie surplus needed for growth.

How much fish oil would you say most people need in a day? I am starting to increase my beef consumption, but I just use regular fish oil (bulk stuff from Costco or whatever.) Does minimizing dairy also apply to Rippetoes’ ‘gallon of whole milk a day’ thing? Like, only do this on lifting days or something else?

[/quote]

it would depends on if you need the calories. I eat dairy, but not much of it. Some full fat cheese now and again and cottage cheese every night. Not a huge deal.

On fish oil:
8-10 1gram caps of generic fish oil/day should be fine. Or you could just take 3-4 with each solid food meal.

Stuward was speaking of carbs for the “Only on lifting days” things I’m betting.


#118

[quote]eggywontgrow wrote:
i have another post regarding my routine i made. but i think it would be alot simpler-AND SMARTER- if instead of designing my own routines which probably suck, to just follow a tried and tested one that is proven to work, hence me being in this thread. just a question or 2 if anyone has time:

-do deadlifts stand for conventional deadlifts, or could i switch in something like romanian deads?[/quote]

Conventional Deads. You could sub in RDLs if you wanted, but I’d stick to what’s written. Don’t screw with something that isn’t broken.

[quote]
-could i add in some core work at the end of the day? (weighted crunches, side bends etc) -one exercise per day, for 2-4 sets, or should i leave this out?[/quote]
Shouldn’t hurt anything. If you do want to add something in, I’d suggest getting off your back and doing some weighted work or static holds.

Are you benching correctly?

Scaps back and down, upper back tight, elbows tucked, feet driving into the floor, tight core, good arch, etc.

You can run starting strength a few times. once you stall, just back the weight down a bit, and start over. Chances are it won’t have stopped working. I wasn’t a newb when I did it, and still got a good 3-4 months out of the thing with resetting.

Eat more, and probably yes. Check this out:


#119

[quote]boyscout wrote:
blue_star_cadet wrote:
stuward wrote: You can maximize your chances of a clean bulk by making most of your diet consist of lean meat, fish and poultry, lots of veg and fruit, fish oil tablets and other good fats. Minimize dairy, grains, potatoes and beans except on lifting days. These are the foods that will provide energy for your workouts and will provide the calorie surplus needed for growth.

How much fish oil would you say most people need in a day? I am starting to increase my beef consumption, but I just use regular fish oil (bulk stuff from Costco or whatever.) Does minimizing dairy also apply to Rippetoes’ ‘gallon of whole milk a day’ thing? Like, only do this on lifting days or something else?

it would depends on if you need the calories. I eat dairy, but not much of it. Some full fat cheese now and again and cottage cheese every night. Not a huge deal.

On fish oil:
8-10 1gram caps of generic fish oil/day should be fine. Or you could just take 3-4 with each solid food meal.

Stuward was speaking of carbs for the “Only on lifting days” things I’m betting. [/quote]

That’s right. Dairy and carbs are great for gaining weight and that’s what Rippetoe’s gallon a day is all about. Read up on carb cycling. You probably want to be about 500 cal deficit on non-lifting days and about 500 calorie surplus on lifting days. That’s just a guideline, your needs may vary.

Thibideau gave a recommendation of 1 gram fish oil for each % BF. I take 8-10. I think more is overkill.

If you eat a lot of beef, try to get grass fed beef. It has a better fat profile and contains lots of CLA which can also help your BF%. I buy my beef from a local farmer, a quarter of a cow at a time. It costs a little more than from the grocery store but not much.


#120

[quote]stuward wrote:
If you eat a lot of beef, try to get grass fed beef. It has a better fat profile and contains lots of CLA which can also help your BF%. I buy my beef from a local farmer, a quarter of a cow at a time. It costs a little more than from the grocery store but not much.[/quote]

I’m freakin’ jealous. I wish I could buy beef like that, but I don’t have the freezer space. I don’t think I can fit another freezer in my efficiency apartment.