Starting Strength: The Guide

Mainly, today’s milk is pasteurized.

1 Like

Gotta give credit where credit is due:

2 Likes

It is pretty cool to see someone like that make progress and receive enjoyment from lifting.

I’m not a big fan of Rippetoe, and I disagree with his stances on a lot of things - basically his complete lack of thinking that stretching, cardio, high bar squats, etc. are of any good, but I do think he’s done some good in terms of getting people under the bar who may not have otherwise gotten there.

I’ve heard some people say “But he hasn’t trained anyone who’s been successful in powerlifting/weightlifting!” From what I can tell, that’s never really been what he’s tried to do. Maybe he thinks he could, which is debatable, but it seems to me his focus has been more on introducing more and more newcomers to barbell training, and getting them started. Training 100lb deadlifters to reach 300, rather than 600lb deadlifters to reach 800.

I’ve read, and own, all of the books him and his associates have written, and have followed Starting Strength myself when first starting out. I do think there is certainly nothing wrong with focusing on a few basic, compound movements, and spending some time just getting strong when starting out. In fact, for most, it’s probably the best option. It certainly can be boring though, especially to younger males.

I think learning to squat with goblet squats (and maybe just sticking to those if needed), possibly avoiding the bench press (due to shoulder issues), using the trap bar over the normal bar for deadlifting, doing more upper body pulling, etc. are all good options when training certain people (elderly, injured, or those with zero interest in ever competing) that Rip seems to either be against or prefers to not mention, but otherwise the principles are not a bad idea. It sometime acquires a cultish following, but so does everything else in the fitness/training industry.

1 Like

I just figure the sheer statistical odds would dictate that, of the hundreds if not thousands of supposed trainees he woudla had over his 30 year run as a coach, at least ONE would continue to pursue training beyond that 300lb deadlift and get a decent level in some sort of strength sport and be able to say “Yeah, Mark Rippetoe was my coach at the beginning of my training”.

But I can’t find that guy. People pointed to that Jordan F. dude, but even he got started before Rip, and then ended up going his separate ways due to what appear to be disagreements with the Starting Strength brand.

I enjoy Mark as a writer and crackpot. He’s a very entertaining curmudgeon, and I think he has the exact right mentality needed to succeed in lifting. I just disagree with the majority of his conclusions.

Chase Lindley?

1 Like

Finally! Appreciate being able to be linked to a name. Looks like what I would expect too.

1 Like

The dude has a 330 pound standing Press. What a monster.

I do too.

@liftangryordie500

Just looked up Chase Lindley. Pretty impressive dude, especially that press. Definitely not the highest ever or anything, but at his age, that’s pretty good.

1 Like

Maybe there is some merit to his opinions.

Definitely the ones he got from Bill Starr, haha.

4 Likes

Yeah! Bill Starr did popularize 5 x 5 training.

Sad part is that Bill is being forgotten