T Nation

Starting Strength: The Guide

Oh, and what are people’s thoughts on Practical Programming…?
Worth getting for progression post SS?

I’m currently at the very novice stage and I’m expecting to get a good 5 maybe 6 months outta SS but I don’t wanna just stop there

[quote]Jereth127 wrote:
Oh, and what are people’s thoughts on Practical Programming…?
Worth getting for progression post SS?

I’m currently at the very novice stage and I’m expecting to get a good 5 maybe 6 months outta SS but I don’t wanna just stop there[/quote]

I did SS for ~8 months making pretty constant gains. From there I moved to WS4SB, more out of wanting to switch up. Only been doing it for about a month but I’m really enjoying it.

Yes, after SS you should read Practical Programming. Your first post-SS program should be something like WS4SB, Madcow’s 5x5, Texas method, etc so you can get by with that for a few mmonths. Practical Programming will tell you how to organize your training. It’s not everything you need to know but it gets you started in the right direction. It’s definitely recommended.

I’ve been thinking about giving Starting Strength a try, but I’m wondering about the squats. It just doesn’t seem like a day is enough to recover from them especially since they’re being done three times a week.

Is recovery really not that much of an issue in this case?

Not at all. I took my squats from 270 to 375 in 5 months squatting 3 times a week.

[quote]Ronsauce wrote:
I’ve been thinking about giving Starting Strength a try, but I’m wondering about the squats. It just doesn’t seem like a day is enough to recover from them especially since they’re being done three times a week.

[/quote]

It just depends on how advanced are you.

Not very, but more so than an average beginner who’s never lifted before, and with respect to squatting, I’m even less advanced.

My workout today(my third day of the program) had me squatting 225 for my 3 sets of 5. It was absolute agony. If I do manage to go up next workout or next week, it’ll probably only be by maybe 10lbs. I also work as a mover, so recovery isn’t exactly helped by carrying people’s shit up and down stairs up to 6 days a week.

In any case, I’ll proceed along with it. If it takes its toll on me too much, I could always do away with the squatting on the middle day of the week…even though I know messing with the program is nothing short of blasphemy.

Figure I’ll bump this thread with my SS experience.

I loved the program. I was a newbie and I ended up lifting more than twice what I started out lifting after 3 months. In that 3 months I gained over 10 kg of body weight. Thats over 22 pounds for you Americans. I started out at 70kg (150 pounds) and found that it changed my life. I highly recommend this program as a beginning point.

[quote]Bunyip wrote:
Figure I’ll bump this thread with my SS experience.

I loved the program. I was a newbie and I ended up lifting more than twice what I started out lifting after 3 months. In that 3 months I gained over 10 kg of body weight. Thats over 22 pounds for you Americans. I started out at 70kg (150 pounds) and found that it changed my life. I highly recommend this program as a beginning point.[/quote]

Well done, where did your lifts start and where are they now?

Seeing as I about to come off SS after 5 months I’ll just answer my own question.

[quote]Jereth127 wrote:
But,(yes, a but) wouldn’t you run the risk of becoming lactose intolerant by consuming that much milk every day…?
Such a thing would clearly be detrimental to your training and diet[/quote]

No. GOMAD never gave me any such problems and milk will now be a staple in any bulking diet I may go on in the future.

My results-40LB increase in weight with a 5-7% increase in BF%.(Only very recently have I cut the carbs a bit and started some cardio to halt fat gain but I really wasn’t concerned by BF% so I really ate my brains out for a while)

Ok I’m currently on starting strength and am progressing well
but one REALLY BAD THING is hindering my progress
i’m having trouble finding the time to eat
currently at school (highschool), food in class was banned , so i can’t eat during class
after breakfast (at around 8 o clock), the next meal i can eat is lunch at 12:45
but i can only workout during lunch, so i get around 20 mins to eat
then, after school, i have about 3 hours homework everyday (in the Internation Baccalaureate
program, it’s f*cked up hard), but during that time, my eating is ok
are there any tips you guys no that could boost my calories up? I wil DEFINATELY
progress much more if i could just get my calories up a bit more
(p.s, my lifts have progressed as follows (in pounds)
squat : 95x2 to 130x3x5
deadlift: 120x6 to 155x3x5
press: 60x6 to 75x3x5 (hard time putting on weight for press)
bench: 95x5 to 105x3x5
I weigh 133 pounds, and am 5 foot 10
I know by just looking at those numbers , you’re thinking : SUPER SKINNY
but yea, any feedback would be appreciated)

2 gallons of whole milk - chug between classes

haha alright cool
but one thing, i don’t know if this happened to you guys
i used to be drink a fair amount of milk before I used to
work out (around 5 glasses a day) but then something weird
happened. When I first started starting strength, i tried
the gallon a day, and I got a really bad and painful stomach
ache, something I never got from drinking milk. So I don’t know
if I can even take that much milk, or maybe it was just b/c it was
my first day?

it can be a bit much if you start that much straight off.

[quote]Ronsauce wrote:

[/quote]

This is something I have been wondering about myself. Why so much squatting? Three days a week seems like a bit much when you are also hearing that you need a WEEK to recover from doing it ONCE.

What am I missing?

Just a guess…starting strength is for beginners and beginners can’t squat with loads heavy enough that would be required for squats to tax your body so much that you’d need a week to recover from it.

*Try recovery methods. (foamroll, stretch, ice)

[quote]TheMojo wrote:
Just a guess…starting strength is for beginners and beginners can’t squat with loads heavy enough that would be required for squats to tax your body so much that you’d need a week to recover from it.

*Try recovery methods. (foamroll, stretch, ice)[/quote]

ah. Thanks for the input.

So if you haven’t already built a solid base, then your probably not lifting enough to require 5 to 7 day’s worth recovery. Makes sense I guess. I mean why would Rip instruct people to over work themselves right? Must be kosher

Would this program be advantageous for someone who is 28, probably around 25-30%BF, someone who hasn’t lifted for about 2 years and before that only had 1 serious year of lifting experience?

It seems simple enough that it will hold my dedication and fit my schedule. Any harm in doing some incline sprint intervals on the off days?

Will I get way fatter consuming large #'s of calories, or will the muscle gain trade off be worth the agonizing fat-loss later on?

I’ve gained about 30lbs in the last 3 years and my activity level is almost non-existent, it’s time for a serious change.

[quote]Mr. Frost wrote:

[quote]Ronsauce wrote:

[/quote]

This is something I have been wondering about myself. Why so much squatting? Three days a week seems like a bit much when you are also hearing that you need a WEEK to recover from doing it ONCE.

What am I missing?
[/quote]

The answer to your question is pretty much what the entire Starting Strength program is based on. There are a couple of articles with interviews of Rippetoe floating around here somewhere. Search for them and a lot of your questions will be answered.

Chris

Edit - Read this:

Just because I am evil, I thought I’d bump this thread. And, also for the benefit of @jfallon9

And, @yogi and @dt79, and @T3hPwnisher

Sorry brahs.