Press 52.5 1
Powerclean 70 1

After 9 weeks I am doing this

Squat 3x5x135
Bench 3x5x70
Press 3x5x47.5
Deadlift 1x5x142.5
Powerclean 5x3x72.5 – just

I am getting in 3000kcals with 1g/lb protein. I do my workouts at about 0730 after waking at 0630,because it’s empty, 3 egg omelette approx 50g oats.

My week:

M - A + Mobility
T - Mobility + 2x40m circuits (HR ~70%)
W - B + Mobility
Th - Mobility
F - A + Mobility
S - Mobility
Su - 2x20m cycle + 40-60m scull

As you can see my squat is really the only thing that has lept out of the box. I don’t do chins or dips. I have been trying to mix up the weights in the warm up set varying how intense/not intense ie rest periods + weight.

My mobility takes about 20-30 minutes and is a sort of grasso complex/defranco/ballet mix.

I am going to deload in Week 10 because I am going away for a week, will probably do the Turbulence Training BW split.

Is it a case of just being patient and waiting to see what happens after the deload. Then reassessing.

Currently I have been thinking of maybe doing

-5/3/1
-W4SB IV
-Getting Ready to Powerlift (using 5/3/1RM for ME) (http://www.elitefts.com/documents/getting_ready.htm)
-Madcow 5x5
-OVT

Have not really read much about Sheiko cycles but with my numbers I do not think I am there yet. I would also like to attempt Smolov Squat some time.

I would kind of want to be lean around mid-April time as I have a dance show. So will probably switch to a high volume program and a deficit for a month.
[/quote]

It looks like you would benefit from eating more. How much weight have you gained?

Specifically, it looks as though you’re gaining predominantly neural gains from doing squats 3x/week. Which means you’re not gaining muscle, or the added weight more muscle moves.

You might want to change up routine anyway, but more food will probably help.

I just read this post, if you’ve gotten this addressed already, please forgive my presumption.

Cheers Otep :smiley:

“It looks like you would benefit from eating more”

M - A + Mobility = 3000kcals
T - Mobility + 2x40m circuits (HR ~70%) = 2750kcals
W - B + Mobility = 3000kcals
Th - Mobility = 2500kcals
F - A + Mobility = 3000kcals
S - Mobility = 2500 kcals
Su - 2x20m cycle + 40-60m scull = 2750kcals

Probably not enough in hindsight seeing as I was burning, HR monitor measured, about 500 kcals per circuit session, although the monitor probably mis-read during the exericeses.

“Specifically, it looks as though you’re gaining predominantly neural gains from doing squats 3x/week.”

Could you please explain that to me. I have not come across that concept before. PM if you want. Would really appreciate.

"You might want to change up routine anyway, but more food will probably help. "

I am probably going to go back to rowing more often so I don’t know where the lifting will ago. However taking time off and concentrating on lifting has really helped increase my lifting knowledge base and stuff about nutrition.

Starting to read about Neural improvement, although a layman explanation would still be cool, it looks like a whole new field …

…O.O

The Physiology of Training
By Gregory Whyte
Contributor James Cracknell
Published by Elsevier Health Sciences, 2006
ISBN 0443101175, 9780443101175

Well stuff me silly and call me bobcat that is really really interesting.

[quote]TheDudeAbides wrote:
http://www.T-Nation.com/free_online_forum/music_movies_girls_life/mark_rippetoe_quotes

[/quote]

Nice find, Dude.

http://www.T-Nation.com/free_online_forum/music_movies_girls_life/mark_rippetoe_quotes

[/quote]
Great stuff!

''On the ethics of meat eating:

Okay, have you ever been around chickens? They are stupid, uncooperative, inconvenient, ill-tempered creatures. They get what they deserve. **** chickens.‘’
Awesome! :smiley:

[quote]stuward wrote:
TheDudeAbides wrote:

Nice find, Dude.

[/quote]

HEY, where have you been?!!

How do you know how much weight to do for your warms ups?

[quote]GoGoPlata47 wrote:
How do you know how much weight to do for your warms ups?[/quote]

Do you have the book? I believe Rippetoe covers it there.

If you don’t, you should start all warmups with the empty bar. The last warmup set should be with about 85-90% of the weight you are going to do your actual sets with. I’d say do 3-5 warmup sets per exercise.

stuward wrote:
TheDudeAbides wrote:

Nice find, Dude.

HEY, where have you been?!![/quote]

I’ve been lurking this thread and a couple of others. T-Nation in blocked at work so I can’t keep up with everything anymore. That and a couple of flames I got from a couple of punks that think they know it all. Anyway, it’s good to see you guys on this thread still active.

Stu

I’m starting this program after much reading up on it. I realise now it’s clearly perfect for me right now. I’m really looking forward to seeing a huge improvement in my lifts and my weight creeping up!

Thanks guys

[quote]GoGoPlata47 wrote:
How do you know how much weight to do for your warms ups?[/quote]

http://startingstrength.wikia.com/wiki/FAQ#Three_Flavors_of_Starting_Strength

Use the log book calculator, the warm up sets are

2x5
1x5
1x3
1x2

[quote]echelon101 wrote:
GoGoPlata47 wrote:
How do you know how much weight to do for your warms ups?

http://startingstrength.wikia.com/wiki/FAQ#Three_Flavors_of_Starting_Strength

Use the log book calculator, the warm up sets are

2x5
1x5
1x3
1x2
[/quote]

Thanks a lot man. Hey I don’t think I will be able to do PC’s at my gym do to the quality of the gym so can I do “Practical Programming Novice Program” or no? Thoughts? In the article he M.R. says all three are great workouts so I am assuming I can.

Practical Programming Novice Program?

barbell rows may (supposedly) replace power cleans

although I remember reading that Mark only preferring the cleans

Have got the book, can’t put it down…

Fantastic, amazing read. I really would recommend people get the book, not scour the internet to try and piece all the information together. Just go crazy and spend that $30, you won’t regret it, trust me.

I do have one concern though.
We all know by now that Rip strongly recommends consuming a gallon of milk a day. This seems like a fantastic idea…
But,(yes, a but) wouldn’t you run the risk of becoming lactose intolerant by consuming that much milk every day…?
Such a thing would clearly be detrimental to your training and diet

Oh, and what are people’s thoughts on Practical Programming…?
Worth getting for progression post SS?

I’m currently at the very novice stage and I’m expecting to get a good 5 maybe 6 months outta SS but I don’t wanna just stop there

[quote]Jereth127 wrote:
Oh, and what are people’s thoughts on Practical Programming…?
Worth getting for progression post SS?

I’m currently at the very novice stage and I’m expecting to get a good 5 maybe 6 months outta SS but I don’t wanna just stop there[/quote]

I did SS for ~8 months making pretty constant gains. From there I moved to WS4SB, more out of wanting to switch up. Only been doing it for about a month but I’m really enjoying it.

Yes, after SS you should read Practical Programming. Your first post-SS program should be something like WS4SB, Madcow’s 5x5, Texas method, etc so you can get by with that for a few mmonths. Practical Programming will tell you how to organize your training. It’s not everything you need to know but it gets you started in the right direction. It’s definitely recommended.

I’ve been thinking about giving Starting Strength a try, but I’m wondering about the squats. It just doesn’t seem like a day is enough to recover from them especially since they’re being done three times a week.

Is recovery really not that much of an issue in this case?