T Nation

Starting Strength Questions...

I’ve been using the starting strength template for about 4-5 weeks or so and I’m seeing some good results, but I got a few questions:

Invert Rows - I’m thinking that power cleans or bent over barbell rows would be more effective for back, but what is your opinion?

Overhead Press - This lift is stalling, I used wrist wraps my most recent workout and was able to add weight, but I don’t think that is a permanent solution. Should I switch to push presses for a while and then switch back?

The ab work on starting strength feels quite…pussy. Anybody see a problem in adding in an extra exercise or two.

[quote]SeanT wrote:
I’ve been using the starting strength template for about 4-5 weeks or so and I’m seeing some good results, but I got a few questions:

Invert Rows - I’m thinking that power cleans or bent over barbell rows would be more effective for back, but what is your opinion?

Overhead Press - This lift is stalling, I used wrist wraps my most recent workout and was able to add weight, but I don’t think that is a permanent solution. Should I switch to push presses for a while and then switch back?

The ab work on starting strength feels quite…pussy. Anybody see a problem in adding in an extra exercise or two.[/quote]

My opinion about the rows can’t really pertain to you. You gotta know what your body feels right. Adding weight on a lift could be as simple as eating more. As for adding an extra exercise or two? Maybe, but I think your time might be better spent with doing the current exercises that are in your program, but up the intensity.

For general physical preparation purposes(sports etc) then power cleans are the way to go. For bodybuilding purposes, you’re probably better off with bent over rows.

I’d recommend using the strict press form as much as possible but I wouldn’t worry about using a push press for the last one or two reps of your sets as long as the weight on your strict form presses is still gong up. Also, I’ve found microplates a worthy investment(just something to consider).

[quote]Jereth127 wrote:
For general physical preparation purposes(sports etc) then power cleans are the way to go. For bodybuilding purposes, you’re probably better off with bent over rows.

I’d recommend using the strict press form as much as possible but I wouldn’t worry about using a push press for the last one or two reps of your sets as long as the weight on your strict form presses is still gong up. Also, I’ve found microplates a worthy investment(just something to consider).[/quote]

^this

Military is difficult to progress on consistently. If you don’t want to deload, then at least slow down the loading. Only add weight every other workout instead of every. Or you could concentrate on making that first set the money set and not really care what reps you’re getting on the second and third sets.

[quote]flipHKD_6 wrote:
Adding weight on a lift could be as simple as eating more[/quote]

Eating more is probably what I should focus on…oh the joy.

Yeah my militaries have been progressing, but not nearly as fast as everything else. I’ll probably stick with adding weight every other. I’m also going to re-evaluate my form for overheads, after looking at stronglifts, i may need to make some adjustments.

The program permits (or recommends, I don’t remember) powercleans instead. But please have someone check your form because they’re very easy to do wrong.

Press is the first to stall for most people – try dumbbells for a while. Also, if you don’t do this already, progressing by 5 lbs (or even 2.5) is still progress – don’t be too proud for the little plates.

[quote]SeanT wrote:
Yeah my militaries have been progressing, but not nearly as fast as everything else. I’ll probably stick with adding weight every other. I’m also going to re-evaluate my form for overheads, after looking at stronglifts, i may need to make some adjustments.[/quote]

As in your range of motion? I stop at chin level, any lower and I start to have shoulder ‘problems’.

[quote]TheDudeAbides wrote:

[quote]SeanT wrote:
Yeah my militaries have been progressing, but not nearly as fast as everything else. I’ll probably stick with adding weight every other. I’m also going to re-evaluate my form for overheads, after looking at stronglifts, i may need to make some adjustments.[/quote]

As in your range of motion? I stop at chin level, any lower and I start to have shoulder ‘problems’.[/quote]

Yeah I stop at chin level as well and for the same reason.

[quote]AlisaV wrote:
The program permits (or recommends, I don’t remember) powercleans instead. But please have someone check your form because they’re very easy to do wrong.

Press is the first to stall for most people – try dumbbells for a while. Also, if you don’t do this already, progressing by 5 lbs (or even 2.5) is still progress – don’t be too proud for the little plates.[/quote]

They permit power cleans. And I will definitely have someone check my form, they are quite a technical lift. 2.5lb plates are the smallest at the UNI gym, I might switch to dbs.