T Nation

Starting Strength Questions

Hi there,

I am going back to a starting strength workout as I am currently really weak and hope to mainly increase my poundages. I think there’s enough room for progress :p.

See here:
Weight 180lbs 15% bf
Bench 170 for 8
Squats 165 for 8, Front squats 187 for 8(WTF !?!?)
DL 200for 8.
(Hope you had a good laugh hehe, I’ll catch up ;-).

2 quick questions:

• Is two mins rest ok (wasn’t discussed in the Rippetoes topic)? That’s what I’m accustomed to do for 5 rep sets.
  • I’ll switch one of the session’s squat with front squats, don’t think it’s an issue, but I thought I would just throw this here as well.

Would that be ok?

[quote]AlexD wrote:

• Is two mins rest ok (wasn’t discussed in the Rippetoes topic)? That’s what I’m accustomed to do for 5 rep sets.[/quote]

There is no such thing as Perfect rest time, just rest enough but not too much.

If you want to add intesnsity to your workout sessions keep your rest period short, if you are training with low reps you might need to rest more.

In my opinion the solution to lagging strength is not minimalist beginner programs.

If there are weak muscle groups and sticking points holding your lifts behind, those muscles need to be trained and strengthened if you want to start seeing progress again.

If you just aren’t eating enough or pushing yourself hard enough, that has nothing to do with your program and everything to do with your own effort.

You increase strength on your staple lifts by adding weight to them regularly (whether its 5 reps, 8 reps, or 15 reps it doesn’t matter), making sure all the muscles involved in the lift are getting progressive overload from supplementary exercises, and most importantly BUSTING YOUR ASS in the gym.

In short, there is nothing S.S. can do for you at this point that normal training can’t do better.

[quote]AlexD wrote:
Hi there,

I am going back to a starting strength workout as I am currently really weak and hope to mainly increase my poundages. I think there’s enough room for progress :p.

See here:
Weight 180lbs 15% bf
Bench 170 for 8
Squats 165 for 8, Front squats 187 for 8(WTF !?!?)
DL 200for 8.
(Hope you had a good laugh hehe, I’ll catch up ;-).

2 quick questions:

• Is two mins rest ok (wasn’t discussed in the Rippetoes topic)? That’s what I’m accustomed to do for 5 rep sets.
  • I’ll switch one of the session’s squat with front squats, don’t think it’s an issue, but I thought I would just throw this here as well.

Would that be ok?

[/quote]

After reading the whole of the ‘Starting Strength’ book…

Rippletoe says 1-2 minutes rest may be fine for novice althetes.
However Rippletoe also seems to imply that he has his atheletes take as long as they need between sets, so if 5 minutes means your can do the reps when you couldn’t at 3 minutes, I think he would prefer you to take 5.

The program doesn’t ask for front squats and suggests they are a very different exercise, it may just complicate things.

Update, lifts are still uneven but they all progressed so its still positive so far, but you pointed out something interesting mr popular.

A stupid question I read about adding some arm isolation exercise in another thread but cannot find it anymore:
-well, if i wanted to add some curls would you do it on rows/chin day or bench/deadlift day (same goes with triceps moves).

I would personally add curls on rows and chins and triceps work on the other sessions, but wanted another opinion.

[quote]AlexD wrote:
A stupid question I read about adding some arm isolation exercise in another thread but cannot find it anymore:
-well, if i wanted to add some curls would you do it on rows/chin day or bench/deadlift day (same goes with triceps moves).

I would personally add curls on rows and chins and triceps work on the other sessions, but wanted another opinion.[/quote]

Rows/Chins day…?
I take it you mean the day Rip originally prescribed as:
Squat
Press
Power Clean

Please don’t tell me you’ve substituted chins for the press…

Do the programme as written(rows aren’t a terrible substitute for the power clean, but the power clean is the preffered exercise for a reason) and use chins INSTEAD of curls.

If you have any more questions, look here: