T Nation

Starting Strength Plus One

I’ve recently started doing starting strength, and it’s fair to say my legs are suffering. My workout goes

workout a
rest
workout b
rest
workout a
etc…

Since changing to a split I have really upped my workload and go all out, but I can feel the difference in my length of recovery. I have only been working out for just under 3 months, but I have gone from 62kg to 68kg, so I am happy but getting more serious now.

I was just wondering if it would be ok to do a supplementary workout day for the third workout i.e. workout a/b/supplementary. I was thinking about doing some bicep work and calf work and incline bench. I never directly hit these muscle groups so I thought it might not be a bad idea, but what do I know…

Any advice is welcome, thanks.

[quote]HiFiBoy wrote:
I never directly hit these muscle groups so I thought it might not be a bad idea, but what do I know…

[/quote]

I think you are smarter than you think.

What are your goals?

My initial aim is to get to 80kg. I have some psychological barriers to overcome to reach that goal as I can already tell that I have put on some extra poundage, but I know I will look better for it in the long run. Another 5kg and it will be time to buy a new wardrobe,my shirts are already getting tight.

I have avoided direct bicep and calf work so that I could focus on big compound lifts but I don’t want them to lag. I do a lot of back work because I have what looks like winged scapula. I raised my deadlift from 80kg to 140x5 which I am happy with but my calves are tiny and my biceps don’t look all too impressive. Also, I need to put some meat between my shoulder blades to balance out their protrusion. Maybe I should look into a more structured 3 day split programme instead of 2?

[quote]HiFiBoy wrote:
Maybe I should look into a more structured 3 day split programme instead of 2?[/quote]

Based on your concerns, I don’t really see SS as a good program for you. It neglects bodyparts.

A 3 way might be a good path for you to take

[quote]countingbeans wrote:
HiFiBoy wrote:

Based on your concerns, I don’t really see SS as a good program for you. It neglects bodyparts.

A 3 way might be a good path for you to take[/quote]

I don’t want to challenge common wisdom as a beginner, but why are these programmes so often spouted off as being the only way to go for a beginner if they neglect key bodyparts?

Could you suggest a 3 day split programme that I could look into?

[quote]HiFiBoy wrote:
countingbeans wrote:
HiFiBoy wrote:

I don’t want to challenge common wisdom as a beginner, but why are these programmes so often spouted off as being the only way to go for a beginner if they neglect key bodyparts?

Could you suggest a 3 day split programme that I could look into?

[/quote]

The main reason programs like this are good for beginners (especially ones who have trained sporadically) is that most new lifters tend to focus on upper body and do little to no lower body work so a program like this will quickly bring your lower body up to par. After a couple of months, however, you start to notice discrepancies in your upper body development and need to adopt a better program (or you could start off with a more balanced program).

[quote]HiFiBoy wrote:
countingbeans wrote:
HiFiBoy wrote:

I don’t want to challenge common wisdom as a beginner, but why are these programmes so often spouted off as being the only way to go for a beginner if they neglect key bodyparts? [/quote]

SS is a great program, but not for someone who aspires to look like a bodybuilder, IMO.

I would argue the following is why it is a great program:

1. Based on weight progression, getting stronger
  2. focus on Compounds
  3. Simple to follow
  4. GOMAD, and/or other wise increased calories

I would argue the following is why it is a bad program:

1. Newbs doing fucking powercleans with form learned from a book
  2. No rows, chins, calfs, direct arm work, and only shoulder work is pressing.

I think a lot of the reason people point to it is because it is simple and easy to just point to a 5x5 and be done with it.

I think C_C talks about a 3 way quite a few times, start reading:

[/quote]

Thanks for taking the time, I’ll look into it.

[quote]HiFiBoy wrote:
Thanks for taking the time, I’ll look into it.[/quote]

No problem…

You’re going to do all the hard work lol…

You could also consider doing Wendler’s 5/3/1 program, assuming you like doing the big compound lifts. It can be done 3 days a week. It is easy to throw in whatever you need for accessory, and the main program is easy to set up with a good spreadsheet. I’m sure folks at the 5/3/1 thread in the powerlifting section could give you feedback, but a lot of people have been about to gain strength and mass using the Boring But Big template. You could also try the bodybuilder template, but I personally like doing a lot of accessory work with the main lifts.

Here are articles with the 5/3/1 overview and the two above mentioned templates:

http://www.mensfitness.com/fitness/workout_routines/451

I’m going to try and do the bodybuilder variation of the 5/3/1 routine. I like the look of it and it covers a lot of exercises that I wanted to do but didn’t know what they were. I do like the big lifts, I might miss squatting 3 times a week but my bench and press are lacking so I need to focus some more energy on bringing those up to my squat and deadlift. I bust a pair of pants on the weekend so I can tell i’m growing, lol.

[quote]HiFiBoy wrote:
I’m going to try and do the bodybuilder variation of the 5/3/1 routine. I like the look of it and it covers a lot of exercises that I wanted to do but didn’t know what they were. I do like the big lifts, I might miss squatting 3 times a week but my bench and press are lacking so I need to focus some more energy on bringing those up to my squat and deadlift. I bust a pair of pants on the weekend so I can tell i’m growing, lol.
[/quote]

Good shit man, let us know how it goes.