Starting Strength or 5/3/1?

Doing 135 for 20 reps on a squat when he or she could have been doing 315 for 5 reps doesn’t equate to progress.

That wasn’t my question.

Jesus H… There is no optimal program for a beginner. That’s why I made the Kanye joke. Starting Strength, 5/3/1, WS4SB, etc… just fucking pick one and get after it.

3 Likes

Weight on the bar certainly isn’t the only way a trainee can progress, but it is the best way to progress. You can tinker with load and volume, but until the CNS becomes equipped to handle increasingly heavier weight, higher reps doesn’t necessarily mean an increase in strength. Look at bodybuilders. They might be able to bench 315 for 20 reps, but they’d be hard-pressed to bench 405. Unless that weight goes up, you strength stays the same.

There still weak lol… anyways so you’ve been training seriously for a few months,trained starting strength for a couple of months, have never done 5/3/1 and you’re telling everyone how superior ss is for a beginner ? Including someone whos 13? lmao…

This is a silly thing you have said.

I realize that is being ugly speaking to someone young in training. Let me at least say to consider how one increases work capacity, GPP, hypertrophy, speed/power, lateral movement, agility, etc. Ask yourself if weight on the bar is the best way to improve these qualities.

My squat has nearly doubled. They’re much stronger than they were.

have you ever done 5/3/1? Or SS?

Does strength not carry over into all these abilities? Like not powerlifting strength, but a skinny guy putting some pounds on his lifts?

Yeah, being a beginner new to training will do this for you. Could do majority of programs and still progress just as fast.

This got long fast lol

Will a skinny guy foam rolling or doing box jumps produce an increase in aglitity and mobility as much as the same guy doing correctly performed low-bar back squats?

Such as?

No. Strength does not create greater work capacity, nor is strength hypertrophy. NOR is increased weight on the bar necessarily a sign of increased strength; it can easily be a sign of increased skill (hence the results of an intensification block). NOR is increased weight on the bar the best ways to TRAIN for these qualities.

That you asked this question is WHY I advise you to keep your mind open. You are too young to have your mind made up on this stuff.

3 Likes

I have no idea.

Ahh. Thank you.

Isn’t this just a technicality ? Or am I missing something

Dude, you are waaaayyyyy too caught up in the minutia of training. You haven’t even finished naturally growing at 15.

It doesn’t matter which program you pick. Just pick one or the other and work hard. FULL STOP.

You will see progress. FULL STOP.

2 Likes

Off topic- would a false grip be less painful than a full grip if I have a burnt (not very badly) finger?

You are. Contemplate if becoming a better bencher equates to a stronger press.