Starting Strength or 5/3/1?

Except it’s much harder (i think) to stall on 5/3/1
And there are AMRAP sets allowed for vairable intensity

1 Like

What does that have to do with what we were talking about though? It is a non sequitur.

When you take 2 trainees, and have one do SS for 6 months before 5/3/1 and the other just do 5/3/1, in 10 years, the difference between the 2 will be marginal.

I think your ability to push reps out when most people would have folded like 5 reps ago makes programs like 5/3/1 work better for you than most.

That isn’t to say that 5/3/1 doesn’t work. It is exactly as you say. It is designed such that you sorta need to be capable of actually pushing well beyond your comfort zone, and that is really hard to do if you haven’t been training for long/aren’t used to going slightly beyond said comfort zone.

2 Likes

Even if it’s harder to stall on 5/3/1, doing SS, stalling on that, and then moving to 5/3/1 will be more conducive to muscle gains than just 5/3/1, simply because you will be able to move unbelievably large amounts of weight in a short period of time if you eat and follow SS to the T.

But will there be a difference?

What this guy said + If you’re going to argue for SS than just do so?

You asked me how I could know my 1RM.

T3hPwnisher doesn’t like SS.

He’s arguing that, in the grand scheme of things, the intensity and effort your bring to whatever program you do matters more than the specific program you choose.

And, yes, I believe doing bosu ball squats and trying your damned best to do it perfectly while sticking to some sort of progression that makes sense to you (and is safe) is better than half-assing the back squat.

Do SS, then move on to 5/3/1. I was skeptical about SS, especially coming from SL 5x5. But SS has literally put 20 pounds onto my squat in less than 2 weeks. Only thing is, being 5’7 and 125 won’t cut it. You’re gonna need to eat. A lot.

But, you can get your abs back when you’re squatting 315 x 5, benching somewhere around 200, and deadlifting 405. Your deadlift is, like, abnormally strong compared to your other lifts.

Last point: once you have a solid base in strength, if you cut to lose some bodyfat and get back your abs, you will still be stronger than you were before. The key is to gain some weight on yourself and on the big lifts.

Who knows.

I never asked that. You may have confused me for someone else.

If we’re using 90% of our 1rm as our TM, wouldn’t adding 10lb every cycle be the same as adding 9lb to your TM?

Does it matter?

I was talking to jfallon9- if that came across wrong oops

? That’s not a given and what are you asking me

I probably did.

You’re 13 years old. You should just go play some sport and lift 3-4 times a week with the goal of learning good form and building strength and good mobility through all range of motion.

Oh, and for the love of God, get off this forum and any other lifting-based forum.

2 Likes

I agree. But the whole point of any effective barbell training program is to NOT half-ass the lifts. If you’re half-assing the lifts, you’re not doing the program. A correctly performed low-bar back squat will do a hell of a lot more for you than a BOSU ball back squat. However, I may just be saying that because I lack the balance to do one of those. Lol

If it came across as me actually doing the tricep kickback thing oops

1 Like

:sweat_smile: