Starting Strength Log

ill do this quick

workout A
3x5 Squat 210lbs on machine ganna try going back squats with a barbel monday AKA tomorrow
3x5 Deadlift( Hook Grip )150lbs
1x5 bench 90lbs
2x8 dips No Added Weight

Any got any stretching tips?

Workout B
Squat 3x5 210lbs
Power Cleans UNKNOWN
BENCH PRESS 90lbs

chin ups 2x8 unknown lbs

[quote]HowieFeltercooch wrote:
ill do this quick

workout A
3x5 Squat 210lbs on machine ganna try going back squats with a barbel monday AKA tomorrow
1x5 bench 90lbs
2x8 dips No Added Weight

Workout B
Squat 3x5 210lbs
Power Cleans UNKNOWN
BENCH PRESS 90lbs

chin ups 2x8 unknown lbs
[/quote]

I stretch when I get home from the gym, right before I take my little nappy nap. NOTHING like stretching out your quads REAL HARD FOR AS LONG AS POSSIBLE while laying in bed. Especially after a leg routine.

Yeah. You know what I’m taking about.

Anyway… I am confused as to the original point of the post.

[quote]

I stretch when I get home from the gym, right before I take my little nappy nap. NOTHING like stretching out your quads REAL HARD FOR AS LONG AS POSSIBLE while laying in bed. .[/quote]

That better be a joke. If you are cold and you are doing that you risk tearing the muscle or harming recovery at best. If you do feel stiff try some dynamic moves like DeFrancos Agile 8 ( http://www.defrancostraining.com/ask_joe/archives/ask_joe_08-10-03.html#question04 ) or look up the “Grasso complex” on this website

At least your getting to a gym; so your better in my mind then a good majority of people out there…but I do have some pointers.

[quote]HowieFeltercooch wrote:
ill do this quick

workout A
1x5 bench 90lbs
2x8 dips No Added Weight
[/quote]

Do a warmup with squats, don’t just right into working sets.
Get rid of the machine, it breeds horrible form; I saw it in a friend just this weekend.
Hook Grip on a deadlift; try a reverse grip and you’ll be better off, IMO.
I don’t believe that Starting Strength has you doing 1x5 for bench. (You have squat, deadlift, bench where SS has Squat, bench, deadlift)

Your workout B isn’t correctly set up either. SS states:
Workout B
3x5 Squat
3x5 Standing military press
3x5 Pendlay or Bent Rows (or power cleans)
**2x8 Chin-ups (recommended mainly if doing the cleans)

As far as stretching goes; look up some mobility drills on here by Eric Cressey.

and you SHOULD stretch out…don’t substitute a friggin’ nappy nap for stretching…that’s just poor form.

[quote]B rocK wrote:

and you SHOULD stretch out…don’t substitute a friggin’ nappy nap for stretching…that’s just poor form.

[/quote]

Sorry, I was nappy-napping. What did I miss? :slight_smile:
Feh, I wish I had time to take naps.

I agree about getting away from the Smith machine for squats. I would also agree that 1x5 bench press isn’t going to do much for you. I imagine this was just a typo.

Also, I would recommend starting a functional log in the Training Logs section. This helps you stay commited and serves as a really good tool to mark specific progress.

Good luck, and don’t skip those power cleans!