T Nation

Starting Strength Log

I’m just now getting back in the gym after a hip flexor injury. Not a serious injury but one that just doesn’t quite go away. I think it’s fine now, though.

It will probably be next Monday before I truly start the program but I did lift today. I didn’t bench because my elbow was killing me today. I decided not to deadlift either because I didn’t know if my elbow could handle that. So I squatted, and that’s probably all I’ll do Wednesday.

I am 15, 6’3 (just under), and weighed 196 today with shoes on.

Squat: 205x5

Dont be such a pussy.

[quote]Scrotus wrote:
Dont be such a pussy.[/quote]

Aren’t you hardcore. You don’t even know what’s going on.

I’m giving my elbow a break so I just did squats again. I’ll add in the rest of the program on Monday. I’m going out of town on Friday.

Squat: 215x5

[quote]Eielson wrote:
Scrotus wrote:
Dont be such a pussy.

Aren’t you hardcore. You don’t even know what’s going on.[/quote]

Well you’re 15, so I’d guess the world hates you, nobody understands how unique you are, your only friend is your diary, and the cow jumped over the moon…?

[quote]Hanley wrote:
Eielson wrote:
Scrotus wrote:
Dont be such a pussy.

Well you’re 15, so I’d guess the world hates you, nobody understands how unique you are, your only friend is your diary, and the cow jumped over the moon…?[/quote]

What are you talking about? Is it so wrong that I’m giving my elbow a break? I’m a baseball pitcher with an elbow problem so should I keep using it until I can’t move it anymore? Would that make me hardcore?

Did I miss something?

The OP posts that he is having some elbow problems, so now he is a pussy and the world hates him? Interesting…

If your elbow is really injured it would be stupid to keep training through the pain, especially if you would like to continue pitching in the future. The weights will be there your entire life, there is no need to rush back into lifting and risk further injury.

I’m going to move this to the beginner’s forum.

[quote]Eielson wrote:
Hanley wrote:
Eielson wrote:
Scrotus wrote:
Dont be such a pussy.

Well you’re 15, so I’d guess the world hates you, nobody understands how unique you are, your only friend is your diary, and the cow jumped over the moon…?

What are you talking about? Is it so wrong that I’m giving my elbow a break? I’m a baseball pitcher with an elbow problem so should I keep using it until I can’t move it anymore? Would that make me hardcore?
[/quote]

Yeah. Sure why not.

You completely over reacted to the other guys post. It was clearly tongue in cheek.

[quote]Hanley wrote:
Eielson wrote:
Hanley wrote:
Eielson wrote:
Scrotus wrote:
Dont be such a pussy.

Yeah. Sure why not.

You completely over reacted to the other guys post. It was clearly tongue in cheek.
[/quote]

“Aren’t you hardcore. You don’t even know what’s going on.”

Yeah, I really went crazy…

That ^^ was awesome.

Welcome to the beginner’s forum.

What’s wrong with your elbow?

Unless the connective tissue in your elbow is really messed up, deadlifts are usually okay. There’s no flexion, it’s isometric from the shoulder down, so it shouldn’t pain you (although if it does, yeah, don’t do it).

I just want to point out that you started a strength log… and you’ve done two workouts… with just squats… at the low 200’s. What were you thinking posting in the strength forum?

[quote]Otep wrote:
What’s wrong with your elbow?

Unless the connective tissue in your elbow is really messed up, deadlifts are usually okay. There’s no flexion, it’s isometric from the shoulder down, so it shouldn’t pain you (although if it does, yeah, don’t do it).[/quote]

I didn’t think it was going to be a problem but I didn’t want to risk it because I needed it to be feeling good for the weekend. It is a problem that comes from pitching and not having elbows that fully extend. When I throw, instead of the muscles in the arm stopping my arm, my elbow stops it. It will probably be the end for my baseball career but I’m not ready to give up on it yet.

I was just looking for somewhere to put it. That is just a spot where I saw other logs.

I’m not sure that I had logged my lift right for the squat. I probably did, though. Anyway I originally went with 225 for 5 reps but I didn’t do it well enough to count it. Then I went back down.

Squat: 215x5
Bench: 125x5
Deadlift: 215x5

Bodyweight: 194

Squat: 220x5
Press: 85x5
Clean: 95x5

Bodyweight: 193

I just had a terrible workout. I tried doing 225x5 on my squats but it absolutely kicked my butt.

All I could manage on the bench was 125x5 again.

225x5 on the deadlift.

Bodyweight: 194

I was ticked off about how I was doing in squats so I’m restarting and concentrating more on form.

Squat: 205x5
It was lighter but it felt a lot better and I was getting deeper. Getting the breathing right helped a lot

Bench: Skipped
I’m going to a doctor on Friday for my elbow. It hasn’t healed

Deadlift: 235x4
I guess I can say I got that, but I don’t really count it. It was terrible form. I should have done what I did with squat and I will soon do that too. I’m going to go back down, work on form and work them both back up again.

I didn’t get on yesterday so I didn’t post it but this is Friday’s workout.

Squat: 210x5, 215x5, 220x5

I was trying to go slow that way I could work on my form. I felt my form was pretty good and 210 was easy. 215 was easy as well so I did 220. I’m going to do 220 for 3 sets next time unless that just feels super easy.

Press: Skipped
Went to a doctor. MRI on Wednesday. Will get results and talk about them the next Tuesday.

Clean: 95x5
I still think the form sucks but don’t know what to fix. It just feels awkward.

This is from Monday:

Squat: 220x5x3
Felt pretty good. I’ll have to repeat this Saturday or whenever because I’m going to have to miss Wednesday and Friday

Bench Press: Skipped
MRI Tomorrow.

Deadlift: 215x5

I missed a lot and I don’t like missing. I might have to miss more than I would like for a little while, though. I’m going to have an insane baseball schedule this summer. I’m going to try hard to get in there because this is really important this summer, even more important than usual.

Squat: 220x5, 220x3, 215x5
Going to do 220 again next time and finally get to that 225 hopefully the next workout.

Bench Press: Skipped
I will probably start doing these some pretty soon but I really don’t know what to do. I’m coming off an injury and throwing a lot along with benching isn’t going to be good.

Deadlift: 225x5

Squat: 225x5x2, 225x3

Bench: Skipped
Should be starting this soon. Not sure, though.

My clean was so terrible feeling.