T Nation

Starting Strength Journey

I come with a empty cup I know very little and looking for advice.

I am the worse program jumper around. Im always feeling like I need to tweak a program. But Im 2 weeks into starting strength program. I wanted to know if Hit Cardio is advisable or recommended how about a hour of walking a day?

My background doing all sorts of different programs no real goal in the past. But went and did a standard 5 day split. My bodyweight 180, bench 240, squat 260, Deadlift 305. I did the standard just do upper body when I was younger. My squat was maybe around 180 or something when I started.

My goals are strength increase particularly squat and deadlift. Im around 15% I think now. I have been trying to eat a lot. Id rather not have all the fat gains but understand it may be necessary if I want to milk the most out the program.

With your goal being a stronger squat and deadlift, how will the HIIT cardio help you reach that goal?

I would imagine sprints at the end of a workout or on off days wouldn’t be too detrimental, if you add in calories to cover the burned calories. However squatting three times a week would probably mean you need 4 days rest a week.

Good points other than burn calories and keep fat levels down. It won’t help me get stronger.

Devote every calorie you can to your strength goals if that is your priority.

Hows the squat form coming along?

Good I went and worked with a trainer. Cue for getting good depth is knees out. Feel good about squat form. Deads need to work on glute activation. Power cleans I suck at still working on them. Tommorrow I’m at 225 3x5 for squats 245 1x5 for deadlift and bench 180 3x5. I started conservatively at 185 for squat been making 10 lb jumps a workout. I’m not sure when I’ll have to slow to 5 lbs a workout. When bar speed slows so far bar speed has been good on the squats and deadlifts.

[quote]Ryancoburn wrote:
Good I went and worked with a trainer. Cue for getting good depth is knees out. Feel good about squat form. Deads need to work on glute activation. Power cleans I suck at still working on them. Tommorrow I’m at 225 3x5 for squats 245 1x5 for deadlift and bench 180 3x5. I started conservatively at 185 for squat been making 10 lb jumps a workout. I’m not sure when I’ll have to slow to 5 lbs a workout. When bar speed slows so far bar speed has been good on the squats and deadlifts.[/quote]

Cool, trust the process you will go a long way on that program.

Getting into weights now that are above old 5 RM maxes. It’s intimidating I thought the program was easy and it was at the start now every session will be a PR. A bit of dread if it was comfortable it wouldn’t be progress.glad I don’t have to step under the bar till Monday.

I agree with the feeling of dread… the end gets really tough.

When I was there, I would take every chance I had to sit and rest the legs and I’d be thinking about the coming squat session all day long (so, it’s better to get it over with in the morning).

Did you microload I read about using 2 inch washers or something ? How many make 1.25 lbs If anyone knows thanks?

I did not, and it’s not really part of SS. Greyskull LP has you doing 2.5 jumps, though.

I would just use clips, if I were going to bother, but I don’t think it’s necessary on SS.

Thanks

[quote]Ryancoburn wrote:
Thanks
[/quote]

Yeah, unless you workout at home with plates of known exact weight, most gym weights have enough variance that microloading just isn’t really that big of a deal. You have a log? I am on my last few legs of SS (sort of) myself and like to look at others and compare notes.

I’m still early starting week three next week. I’ll just put my workouts out I use a website that does it all for me.

Squat 185, 195, 205, 215, 225 , 235
Deadlift 205, 225, 245
Bench 165,175,180
Overhead press 95,100,105
Full clean press 115, 125 failed bad form, reset 120 better form got all reps

Some point I’m going to scale squat jumps back to 5 lbs a workout and ovh and bench to 2.5 problem I don’t have 1.25 lb plates so lowest jump I can make is 5 lbs

[quote]Ryancoburn wrote:
I’m still early starting week three next week. I’ll just put my workouts out I use a website that does it all for me.

Squat 185, 195, 205, 215, 225 , 235
Deadlift 205, 225, 245
Bench 165,175,180
Overhead press 95,100,105
Full clean press 115, 125 failed bad form, reset 120 better form got all reps

Some point I’m going to scale squat jumps back to 5 lbs a workout and ovh and bench to 2.5 problem I don’t have 1.25 lb plates so lowest jump I can make is 5 lbs[/quote]

Hey man, no need to downplay it. I started this last round of SS (actually its probably more like SL but whatever) at almost the exact places you did in Feb. I am using rows instead of cleans though. Prefer cleans but my gym is to damn crowded with wandering idiots. I think my 5lb jumps started at like 260 or so.

Unless that’s some variation I haven’t heard of, it’s wrong: SS doesn’t use ramping, except for warm-ups.

It happens. I was using a spreadsheet that had OHP as 5 x 3 instead of 3 x 5 (which actually worked better, imo).

[quote]1 Man Island wrote:
Unless that’s some variation I haven’t heard of, it’s wrong: SS doesn’t use ramping, except for warm-ups.

It happens. I was using a spreadsheet that had OHP as 5 x 3 instead of 3 x 5 (which actually worked better, imo).[/quote]

yeah sorry i assumed assumed reps for starting strength all sets are 3x5 except for full clean and press which is 5 sets of 3. (excluding warmup) The weight listed is just my working weight for each workout 2 weeks worth at least. Sorry for the confusion.

[quote]Ryancoburn wrote:

[quote]1 Man Island wrote:
Unless that’s some variation I haven’t heard of, it’s wrong: SS doesn’t use ramping, except for warm-ups.

It happens. I was using a spreadsheet that had OHP as 5 x 3 instead of 3 x 5 (which actually worked better, imo).[/quote]

yeah sorry i assumed assumed reps for starting strength all sets are 3x5 except for full clean and press which is 5 sets of 3. (excluding warmup) The weight listed is just my working weight for each workout 2 weeks worth at least. Sorry for the confusion.[/quote]

There is no clean and press in the novice program or as it is known SS.

For the first few weeks the program consists of: ABABABABA etc

Workout A
3X5 Squat
3X5 Press
1x5 Deadlift

Workout B
3x5 Squat
3X5 Bench
1x5 Deadlift

Then the next 2-3 weeks consist of ABABABABABA etc.

Workout A
3X5 Squat
3x5 Press
1x5 Deadlift

Workout B
3X5 Squat
3x5 Bench
5x3 power clean

Then for the remaining 6-9 months ABABABABA etc

Workout A
3X5 Squat
3x5 Press
Deadlift 1x5 OR Power clean 5x3

Workout B
3X5 Squat
3X5 Bench
Back extensions 3x12 OR Chinups 3x12

I would advise anyone intending on doing SS to buy the book.

[quote]Paradise Lost wrote:

[quote]Ryancoburn wrote:

[quote]1 Man Island wrote:
Unless that’s some variation I haven’t heard of, it’s wrong: SS doesn’t use ramping, except for warm-ups.

It happens. I was using a spreadsheet that had OHP as 5 x 3 instead of 3 x 5 (which actually worked better, imo).[/quote]

yeah sorry i assumed assumed reps for starting strength all sets are 3x5 except for full clean and press which is 5 sets of 3. (excluding warmup) The weight listed is just my working weight for each workout 2 weeks worth at least. Sorry for the confusion.[/quote]

There is no clean and press in the novice program or as it is known SS.

For the first few weeks the program consists of: ABABABABA etc

Workout A
3X5 Squat
3X5 Press
1x5 Deadlift

Workout B
3x5 Squat
3X5 Bench
1x5 Deadlift

Then the next 2-3 weeks consist of ABABABABABA etc.

Workout A
3X5 Squat
3x5 Press
1x5 Deadlift

Workout B
3X5 Squat
3x5 Bench
5x3 power clean

Then for the remaining 6-9 months ABABABABA etc

Workout A
3X5 Squat
3x5 Press
Deadlift 1x5 OR Power clean 5x3

Workout B
3X5 Squat
3X5 Bench
Back extensions 3x12 OR Chinups 3x12

I would advise anyone intending on doing SS to buy the book.

[/quote]

Looks like OP is using the original SS novice program.

I just started with the second set of exercises my low back couldn’t handle deadlifting 2 times a week. It gets sore as is from 1 time a week.

Squat
Bench
Deadlift

Squat
Overhead press
Full power clean

Are the workouts I’m cycling A B A. I have the book read it. I don’t see myself on the program for 9 months. But if I could keep going at 5 lbs a workout for nine months my squat would be insane. I’m just going to cycle the above until I can’t progress in a linear fashion anymore I’m thinking two resets on squats however long I can ride this train I will…Then on to a different program not sure which one yet. I’m using this to grab the low hanging fruit easy gains. I haven’t looked into the practical programming 5/3/1 looks good so does madcows.