T Nation

Starting Strength and Power Clean

Hey there!

I just picked upthe program, “starting strenght” and I was wondering if I am really ready todo the power cleans, as they seem pretty technical, I only got about 1 month of experience.

I did a workout today replacing the power cleans with pendlay rows.

Did you buy the book?

the rows are technically easier

if you have only been working out for a month, then stick with the rows

[quote]asusvenus wrote:
I just picked upthe program, “starting strenght” and I was wondering if I am really ready todo the power cleans, as they seem pretty technical, I only got about 1 month of experience.[/quote]
One could argue that, especially for the non-competitive, recreational lifter, a power clean isn’t much more technical to learn than a squat, deadlift, or especially a Pendlay row. So you might as well learn the power clean now, just like any other big, basic exercise. I wouldn’t say it’s necessarily a bad idea to use rows instead, it’s just… different.

If you have the book, follow his instructions for learning the lift. If you want to (and if you’re able to), you can video yourself working on the cleans and post it here or in another thread to be evaluated.

But at some point in the near future, for the best gains in size and strength, you’ll want to learn power cleans.

[i]T-Nation: Any reason for not using rows much?

Rippetoe: I think rows are in a lot of these spin-offs of my program because people need another exercise off the floor besides deadlifts, but everybody’s afraid to learn the clean. I don’t really understand it, except that, in people’s minds, rows are easier to learn. They look slow, they don’t look as complicated.

I think I did a decent job of explaining the clean in the book, and I think it’s a much better exercise than the barbell row. Because it can’t be done slowly. That’s why we use it. It’s an explosive lift.[/i]

Thanks alot for your answer.

And yeah, I might as well start of with a bang right? (refering to learning the tech right away, instead of later)

Bout the video, sure I might be able to put something up.

[quote]Chris Colucci wrote:
asusvenus wrote:
I just picked upthe program, “starting strenght” and I was wondering if I am really ready todo the power cleans, as they seem pretty technical, I only got about 1 month of experience.
One could argue that, especially for the non-competitive, recreational lifter, a power clean isn’t much more technical to learn than a squat, deadlift, or especially a Pendlay row. So you might as well learn the power clean now, just like any other big, basic exercise. I wouldn’t say it’s necessarily a bad idea to use rows instead, it’s just… different.

If you have the book, follow his instructions for learning the lift. If you want to (and if you’re able to), you can video yourself working on the cleans and post it here or in another thread to be evaluated.

But at some point in the near future, for the best gains in size and strength, you’ll want to learn power cleans.

[i]T-Nation: Any reason for not using rows much?

Rippetoe: I think rows are in a lot of these spin-offs of my program because people need another exercise off the floor besides deadlifts, but everybody’s afraid to learn the clean. I don’t really understand it, except that, in people’s minds, rows are easier to learn. They look slow, they don’t look as complicated.

I think I did a decent job of explaining the clean in the book, and I think it’s a much better exercise than the barbell row. Because it can’t be done slowly. That’s why we use it. It’s an explosive lift.[/i][/quote]

well good call Chris, that’s why you rock

My 105 pound 45 year old wife does power cleans. They’re not that hard to learn; a basic movement. Just practice with a broom handle or PVC pipe at first to learn some muscle memory then off to the bar. Just remember, it’s not a reverse curl! Keep the bar close to your body.