T Nation

Starting Sheiko

Hello all,
I have done one powerlifting comp. I did a 120 kg squat, 75kg benchpress and a 145 kg deadlift at 74,3 kg bodyweight. I need to get all these numbers up. I was thinking about running sheiko #29, do one week of deload, run sheiko #37, do one week of deload then run the comp cykle.

I will do the comp raw, is sheiko still a good option for me?

I will retest my maxes in about 2 weeks before starting sheiko.

Small sidenote, when is a good time to start using gear, I was thinking if I get a 100kg benchpres it might be okey if I use a benchshirt. A 150/160 kg squat and a suit might be of some use. But what are you opinions?

I know many people who use the sheiko and it is a good program, but most people have to tweak it a bit for personal needs, also, it is a great deal of volume for a beginner

I’ll give my input since I’ve been doing sheiko for just about a year now. So I somewhat know what I’m talking about…

I started using Wade Hooper’s version of sheiko (not very different from the original sheiko program). Of course, I had to tweak it to what I needed, but when you start out, do the routine EXACTLY how it is done. Just 4 weeks, that’s it. See what you need to work with, add in extra exercises, change things around, etc. Sheiko is so easy to manipulate that you can almost get creative with it. My routine looks nothing like it did when I started out.

Gear wise, this depends on a few things. How quickly can you learn gear? How much time do you need to get the most carry over from it? Any other reasons to use gear?

I consistently squat heavy (80% + ) w/ briefs, belt and wraps b/c my hips get worn out too quickly if I don’t. It also allowed me to get used to much heavier weights than otherwise. I also use briefs and a belt when I deadlift. I bench raw, but will get a shirt probably 8 to 12 weeks before a meet. Again this is personal and what I would do might not relate in any way to what you do. Also, I train consistently w/ briefs b/c of an SI injury I have. I’d say the more raw strength, the better. I don’t know if you have any injuries, but of course, you know that there’s things you need to do in training to prevent injuries and maintain a good state of health. These are a few things to consider when planning out a shieko routine or anything else. I would also add in more ab work. If you take a look at my log (in the strength section) or Hanely’s (in the training log section), you might get some ideas about how the routines evolve.

Doing the raw comp, you know what you’re capable of training wise. If you think doing triples w/ 80% is too much, then re-consider. I believe the guy who posted the sheiko routines on elitefts did the routine raw. Just consider your abilities and how hard you want to push yourself. I think its doable, especially since you’re starting out. Again, tweak it after one cycle.

I hope this helps you out.

LSUPOWERDC, you PL @ LSU? How do you like it? I’m at UNO, but haven’t done a meet in a while, just too busy w/ school. I know they have a good team. Nice to see more powerlifters down in the bayou.

Thank you both for your replies.
Synthetickiller, it was both yours and hanleys sheiko logs that turned me on to the idea of doing sheiko.

I don’t think doing 80% triples will be too much, or atleast I don’t think so.

I will give it a try for 4 weeks and then I can start tweeking it. I do have some injuries/weaknesses that I need to work around but I will see how it goes.

I will use neoprane breifs (Rehband), they don’t help with the lifts but they keep the hips nice and warm. Hopefully that will help with the hips.

How has doing squats 2 times per workout been for the people that have been doing sheiko?

I don’t have much to add on top of what Synthetickiller said to be honest. I never stuck with Sheiko that long (4 weeks max) but I feel the greatest benefit I got from it, and one that still stands to me today, was my volume tolerance and flexibility when it comes to missing sessions.

I used to have the whole “you MUST leave 7 days between squatting or you won’t recover” mindset. Last week I had an 8 day gap, this week I only had 6. Previously I would have stressed about this, but not anymore.

My core also got very strong with Sheiko. I did alot of the squat work beltless and I feel that really stands to me today. You’ll also become an absolute squat and deadlift machine. If you can video your sessions and make adjustements, or post them for critique you’ll get very good at those lifts very quickly, form wise.

My raw bench went no where with it, tho strangely the first time around my shirted bench took a bit of a jump (I did both cycles raw on the bench). I honestly feel the percentages are too low on the bench porition. I got very good at doing between 80 and 90% but once I got to 90+ I got slow and weak really fast. If I was advising someone, I’d recommend they do two singles or two doubles at 90% on the bench pyramid day, and instead of 5-6x3 with 85%, do 2x2-3 with 90ish% and drop back to 3-4x3 with 85%.

Oh and Synthetickiller, on learning your shirt when you get one. I really cannot recommend Vinny Dicenzo’s way of doing it highly enough. Matt Rhodes talked about it recently in an Article on Elite.

I made the switch to pure conjugate after my last meet in addition to the above. Basically it’s a 12 week cycle (you do your shirt sets after ME sets), 3x3 for 3 weeks, then a week off, 3x2 for 3 weeks, then a week off and 3x1 for 3 weeks and then a week off and into a comp (or re run the cyle if it’s offseason).

I started doing this a couple of months ago, did the first 7 weeks in an old beat up f6 which had a best gym bench of 175 grinded out. I did 165 3x2 like air.

I’ve just switched my Katana 3 weeks ago since the comp is close and have already gone to 165 3x3 REALLY easy. Week off this week and then 170 3x2 next week’s the plan.My best bench in that shirt was a REALLY hard 180kg last january.

If I compete at 90 I’d say 190 should go (if it does I’ll take a shot at 200). And if I compete at 100 anything less than 195-200 is going to feel like a failure. Basically a 20kg PR in 5 months. Might not sound like much, but considering I’m already up at 4 plates I think it’s a pretty good increase to take!!

Anyway… take it for what it’s worth. It’s helped me big time.

I did sheiko 29 last fall. It worked great for me just running the program without changing up one thing.

My maxes before sheiko was a 95 kg squat, 95 kg bench and a 135 deadlift. The new maxes after sheiko was: 125, 100, 160 - a 60 kg total gain. It really worked great, and like I said I just did the whole program without changing anything up.

I agree with Hanley on the bench. I think the percentages are a bit to low. You might want to add 5 kgs or so on the spreadsheet.

[quote]wiiwii wrote:
Thank you both for your replies.
Synthetickiller, it was both yours and hanleys sheiko logs that turned me on to the idea of doing sheiko.

I don’t think doing 80% triples will be too much, or atleast I don’t think so.

I will give it a try for 4 weeks and then I can start tweeking it. I do have some injuries/weaknesses that I need to work around but I will see how it goes.

I will use neoprane breifs (Rehband), they don’t help with the lifts but they keep the hips nice and warm. Hopefully that will help with the hips.

How has doing squats 2 times per workout been for the people that have been doing sheiko?[/quote]

Here’s a general outline of my current routine:

Day 1:
Squat, CG Bench, Standing GMs, extra work

Day 2:
Deadlift, Military press, DB Rows, extra work

Day 3:
Bench, Squat variation, DB Press, extra work

I do not squat heavy twice a week. Nor do I do the sheiko set up w/ bench that puts it as a secondary lift compared to squat/deadlift. I moved my benched from 275 to 305 raw. Its not that high now, but that;s my fault from being lazy. I also stopped doing two full bench workouts (not counting CG). Doing the pyramid, then the heavy 3x5 the next workout day was counter productive for me since I am lifting raw. It might be different if I was using a shirt and doing the pyramid for the raw work.

Squatting twice at the beginning was hard, but helped with GPP. Once you start going much heavier, its too much volume, at least IMHO. I really changed the routine up from its original design, but it works better for me.

You have the right attitude, its just difficult when you start out. I am still having a heck of a time trying to get this routine right. Don’t get frustrated, its not easy, but well worth the effort.

I see that you have changed it around a bit. But as everybody has suggested I need to do one cycle before powerlifting add starts and I change it.

One question: What is CG Bench? I haven’t heard that expression before.

I would love the gains that Molnes got. But have to lift some stuff first.

I have read your entire log hanley so it did inspire me to start this attemt at sheiko. I squat/dl without a belt, I am going to start squating with a belt, but maybe only the heavy sets so I can keep my core strong.

thanks again everybody

CG = Close Grip

I would like to say that my bench went from 120kg (it dropped down a bit before starting the routine) to 137.5 kg in about 6 months. Took less than a year to go from 200 kg to 237.5 kg. Deadlift is another story and I wasn’t following sheiko until now. Just giving a little more proof of how my lifts have gone up.

Anyways I’m boring you, so get to it!

The reason I got such good gains the first time doing sheiko was probably a lot because of technique. That and just being a newbie ofc.

In the next cycle I added 35 kg, and in my last cycle i was able to add 25 kg to the raw total. So I’m very happy with sheiko 29. I think I will try the CMS program this summer to see how it feels in comparison to 29. It might be a bit overkill for me though, but time will show.