Starting Out: Improving Strength & Joints

So the old noob has questions. First here’s what I am doing.
In the gym.

bench
dumbell press
T-bar rows
lat pulldowns
Military press
side raises
leg press
leg curl
leg extension
calf raises

for now everything 3x10. No I am not posting my totals 'cuz they are effin embarrasing. I take about ten seconds rest between sets. I have no set order. If I have to weight for something to open up I move on to something else. For instance, all the flat benches are full, I do decline or incline. Or if that aint doable, I go to whatever I can, be it legs, back or whatever. I am not doing any arm work for now. Will probably add that in a couple months.

My main training goal for now is just getting strong and getting my joints used to load bearing stuff( RA sufferer).

What’s yer question? :slight_smile:

Yeah I guess I didn’t ask anything. Anyway I guess overall how does that look?

Here’s what I eat just about every day though I must confess a tendency to blow it on the weekend ( little more self-discipline)
meal 1
3 eggs scrambled
4 slices lean ham or canadian bacon
1/3 cup cheese added to eggs
1 light protein shake made with 1 cup milk
totals 405 cal. 72 protein 36 carbs

meal 2
2 cans tuna or 1 pre packed tuna steak
8 oz cottage cheese

meal 3
1 light protein shake
1 cup (8 oz) milk
4 slices lean ham

meal 4 depending on where we eat after the gym

4 oz lean grilled meat or poultry
1 cup green veg ( broccolli, aspargus, spinach)

meal 5
1 light protein shake
1 cup milk

when I say light protein shake, I use about a third of what the directions call for. the stuff I use calls for 3 scoops. I only use one. I need to work on losing bodyfat for now.

All right time for some accountability. Off to the gym.

Welcome to the dark/ kinda greyish wrinkly side!

I think ytou are on the right track with your training sessions for the time being, just get the joints lubed up, the blood flowing and muscles working.

Just be sure to keep track of the bodyparts trained per session… you don’t wanna do 9 exercises and 30-40 sets of arms.

I would suggest alternating squats with your legpress every second workout… and perhaps even throwing some deadlifts in there as well. Perhaps alternating squats/ deadlifts and legpress every three sessions?

I know one of your goals are to lower your bodyfat %, but in my humble opinion, 10 seconds rest between sets of the same exercises on a regular basis is too short. I would suggest 60-90 seconds rest between sets of the same exercises, if I understand your training thus far. If you can recover in 10 seconds to complete all 3 sets of 10, then the weight you are using is too light.

As for your diet, I can’t comment on that, 'cuz I have limited knowledge of nutrition… other than I like food, and stuff… lol!

Good luck!

You’re just getting back into it so I think just getting use to the weights again is a smart thing. As you get more into it you’ll probably change up your routine. Agree with bunny about the really short rests. Welcome aboard.

Let me add my welcome to the crowd. We’ve have all levels here: Rank beginer (me) and super expert (maraudermeat). Post those numbers so we can enjoy your progress.

Thanx for the advice guys. You were right on the money I increased my rest between sets and all my lifts increased from ten to fifteen pounds. I will try to post the numbers this evening.

Welcome MOT. Great you’re hitting the gym regularly. Congrats on being serious about the diet as well. Post the workouts. Always fun to see what people are doing.

I just don’t understand why I can eatr so well during the day and then when evening comes I blow it. I know we eat out way too much. But that is no reason why I can’t make good choices. I mean most places we go generally have some type of lean beef and steamed veg, but I get the fajitas.

Granted no rice, but still over 1500 calories, and over 150 grams of carb this is no way to lose body fat. And whats really bad is this is bringing me down, and giving me that fuck it attitude. We didn’t go to the gym last night. Granted I had a meeting after work and didn’t get home till almost five, but that was still plenty of time to change and go. It seems like if everything doesn’t go perfect for me then the hell with it all. I have got to change that.

Hey guys thanx for all the support. I read alot of your own thread and it really keeps me motivated.

You’re on the right track, so keep working at it. The thing is not to give up and get a routine going for yourself.

I agree with resting more. I was doing the 3 x 10 rep sets, now have gone to a 10,8,6 reps sets and have added a lot more weight.

Eating out is more of a challenge. Fajitas aren’t that horrible, but are probably loaded with sodium. And you don’t HAVE to eat the whole thing there, you can take some home with you.

If you know you’re going out to eat ahead of time, adjust what you’re eating for the rest of the day. I’m on a bulk right now, so more is more for me!

Good luck, BG

As the resident fat guy, I can’t lose weight if I eat out more than once per week. shit, I havent lost weight in 4 years, who am I kidding…

I might recommend taking a look at the exercise routine that comes with the new v-diet v.whatever. its supposed to be a big help for fat-burning. Its one of Chad Waterbury’s, almost identical to a workout he posted in an article called (I think) Harbinger Hypertrophy. Lots of modulation in weights, sets, reps, and rest periods. I think it might be just what you need.

Train Harder
old lardass

I think the nutrition piece is key. I would think about adding a 6th meal (before bed), which will help keep your metabolism revved up. A low-carb protein shake and 2 tbsp of nut butter are a good choice.

I would also consider dropping the milk and stick to water only.

Berardi’s “Gourmet Nutrition” is a great resource – lots of information and some excellent recipes.

Good luck.

Great advice, especially Bunny’s. I may also add that you can cut back to 1-2 sets on the dumbbell presses, lateral raises, leg extensions and leg curls.

My problem with eating out, I feel compelled to eat everything I paid for, so I really limit how much I eat out. If you are having problems overeating at home, at night, it can be from the solitude and not being occupied. There are studies that suggest that people feel more pain from injuries at night just for that reason.

And welcome. This is the best training forum anywhere for us older dudes.

Welcome!

And if I posted my numbers, then you and everyone else should feel plenty comfortable posting yours! I think you’ll find it helpful, since others can point out weaknesses (and strengths) that you yourself missed.

They say in Japan that it’s darkest at the base of the lighthouse.

[quote]MomentOfTruth wrote:
Here’s what I eat just about every day though I must confess a tendency to blow it on the weekend ( little more self-discipline)
meal 1
3 eggs scrambled
4 slices lean ham or canadian bacon
1/3 cup cheese added to eggs
1 light protein shake made with 1 cup milk
totals 405 cal. 72 protein 36 carbs

meal 2
2 cans tuna or 1 pre packed tuna steak
8 oz cottage cheese

meal 3
1 light protein shake
1 cup (8 oz) milk
4 slices lean ham

meal 4 depending on where we eat after the gym

4 oz lean grilled meat or poultry
1 cup green veg ( broccolli, aspargus, spinach)

meal 5
1 light protein shake
1 cup milk

when I say light protein shake, I use about a third of what the directions call for. the stuff I use calls for 3 scoops. I only use one. I need to work on losing bodyfat for now.[/quote]

i liked your breakfast.

but meal 2, 3, and 5 are without veggies. and i estimated about 250g of protein without the addition of meal 4. that’s plenty! so you could consider eliminating the shakes except for one at breakfast and periworkout and think more about the rainbow of vegetables. sliced red pepper, baby carrots, and sliced winter squash come to mind.

and no fruit? why not give yourself some berries or other micronutrient rich delight. the veggies and fruit might help you with carb cravings; in case that is ruining your weekend meals?

i am not an expert and hope i don’t sound judgemental. you asked so i hit some out there. keep up the good work!