Starting My Velocity Diet Log; Official Start 5/26!

44 y/o wife, homeschool mom, surgical nurse, Sunday school teacher, once and future bad *ss lifter, and ex runner. Been struggling with everything fitness related since Covid… I used to go to the gym 4x a week, right after work, and run one day a week. Since 2020, the gyms shut down, and I dropped to working 2x10+hr shifts, so I can homeschool a middle school and 1st grade kid. Built an amazing garage gym, that I don’t take advantage of, because when I’m at home, there is always work to do…in the midst of all of that upheaval, I also discovered that both of my knees have no cartilage on half of the patella and femur, so my heavy leg days, and beloved running are gone. I’m waiting to be old enough for knee replacements.

And lastly, I discovered that while I was excellent at eating well and staying lean when I had training goals, as soon as I wasn’t eating with a purpose any sort of sensible diet when out the window…which is how I got here: fat and weak and in desperate need of a reboot.

Waiting on my kit, but have already started walking daily, and drinking more water, which is something I’ve always been chronically bad at. Also programmed a modified “washed up meat head” (DeFranco) workout, subbing hip thrusts and leg ext/leg curl for squats, and some modified pressing motions for a cranky AC joint.

Stats as of 5/21:
5’5”
168 lb
Chest 40
36, 38, 40 waist
22 thigh
Left arm 14
Right arm 13.5
All measurements relaxed state…

4 Likes

Looking forward to seeing how you go, and I think a ton of us have been/ are in your shoes! Good on you for taking control.

The first few days will be ok, then a couple will freaking suck. Get that first week under your belt no matter what, and then it starts taking care of itself.

Sorry about the knees! I don’t have any cartilage, either. If you want any leg training ideas I’ve tried, let me know. Good luck!

2 Likes

I will take any and all leg training advice. I’m (finally) getting over focusing on everything I can’t do, and really sinking into trying different things to see what I can do. Did legs today. Here’s what that looks like. Anything you think I might also try is welcome.
I already write down my workouts, so in lieu of retyping, I’m just uploading a pic. Have fun with my terrible handwriting.

4 Likes

Welcome!
Don’t forget to take progress pics!

2 Likes

Grudgingly asked my husband to help me with that later… might be a day or two, because I’m taking my mom for a cardiac procedure tomorrow at 0dark30, but I figure as long as I have them by the time my kit arrives and start proper, I’ll be good.

1 Like

Good luck to your mom!

For me, pics are much more motivating than the scale. Sometimes the scale is a lying bitch… lol

I know; I just hate having my picture taken. I hated it at 18, when I was a nationals level 500/800/1500 meter runner, hate it now, chubby mom of 3. Just sort of a very modest, private, introverted person. I know that the scale is just one tool, and I know that it is going to (hopefully) move up and down, as I lose fat, but regain some muscle. I’ll see what my husband will talk me into, picture wise. Don’t be surprised to see face scribbled out, is all I’m saying, lol.

1 Like

I’d recommend this anyway. Feels like good internet practice.

So I’ll just drop some random leg thoughts:

It’s typically getting quad work that’s the problem. I see you’ve got deads as your main lift, so we’re probably on the same page there.

I really, really like getting my hamstrings pumped before I do any quad work. Deadlifts won’t do it, but leg curls do. I’d keep those high in the rotation and make sure you’re working them hard enough you feel it before you move on.

I like step-ups, but I’d move them later (after leg curls). I also like doing long mechanical ramps both to get my “prehab” stuff that I simply hate doing and like skipping and to ensure I’m nice and warmed up. It also has us getting in some volume and reduces the load we can handle - both wins. In your case, that could look something like:

1. TKE 3 x 10 in between leg curls
  2. Peterson step-down (step down from a box and tap the floor) 2-3 x 10; progress the box each week
  3. Step-ups: you’re doing these
  4. Reverse lunges: these hurt less than forward lunges and you can really load them.

As mentioned above, you want to find ways to get in volume that that isn’t at the highest loads you can handle. I keep reps above 8 and I like things like front squats or SSB. I actually really personally like box squats, but I don’t think they do much for my quads so that’s irrelevant here. I think ramping up weights as you do your sets is a great way to build some quality volume and create some fatigue that reduces your top weight.

I hate leg extensions when my knees are hurting. That open chain stuff just feels awful. I do think it’s really important to keep your extensors moving through a full ROM, but closed chain things like Bulgarian Split Squats feel better. If they feel good to you, though, stick with it!

You’re a better runner than I ever was, but jogging is the worst for me (think about why a horse hates trotting): it’s like maximum impact. I’d rather sprint or walk/ bike. You were already fast, so I think you’d get a ton out of 200s/ 400s with less knee trauma than slow miles and an added bonus of building some muscle. I probably wouldn’t go over 400 - I think that starts getting difficult to recover from. You can also ruin your day with things like burpees that do a great job of forcing you through a full ROM and get a ton of conditioning in without seeming to cause a bunch of inflammation.

I didn’t specifically look up the program you’re doing, so I don’t know how easy any of that is to implement, but just a handful of things I’ve found helps!

1 Like

Will add in TKE with the curls, and would love to at least try some speed work again; definitely gave me some things to experiment with. Thanks!

1 Like

5 Likes

Looking foward to seeing your progress!

3 Likes

Good on you for getting those befores up. We all are looking forward to seeing you crush this!

All the things came today, but I am hesitant to start tomorrow, as I spent all day sleeping, with a terrible headache, nausea, and vomiting. I’m leaning towards trying the bedtime shake tonight, and if it stays put, starting tomorrow. If not, maybe waiting until Sunday.

feel better soon

1 Like

Holding down the vanilla shake, so I’m starting tomorrow.

3 Likes

Still feeling gross; but hate putting off something that needs done, so… mixed up a chocolate shake with some cherry flavored coffee and some ice, and I’m not sorry about it. Pretty delicious! Weight is 168, and if I can get rid of the awful headache and dizziness, today should be chest day…

Taking my flameout and curcumin with sips of the superfood, which tastes just like unsweetened iced tea. that’s how I roll anyway, but I guess you could toss in a lo/ no-cal sweetener if you needed to. Either way, that’s gonna be a keeper supplement, whether I’m doing velocity or not.
Lunch update: blended 1 scoop vanilla with one scoop chocolate, and it’s seriously like trying to drink a 16 oz frosty for lunch… going to take me an hour to finish, but delish! Any thoughts on best mini blenders so I don’t have to drag out my food processor all the time?

3 Likes

Would have rather died, lol. But my ever-supportive husband pointed out that if you have the opportunity for coaching input from some of the best in the world in strength, health and fitness, you do what they tell you to do. He’s (almost) always right. It’s kinda of annoying. And also kinda why I married him in the first place.

1 Like

Ha! Never tell him.
It’s tough, but being vulnerable is definitely our best way to move forward. I’ve got some pictures I’m not pleased with on here myself, but wherever we are is kind of always our day 1 - it just is what it is

2 Likes

Nah! This where the rubber meets the road. Visual progress is soooo important.

3 Likes

@rexhibitionist