Starting Judo, Lifting Once/Week?

[quote]MMA101 wrote:
No im not a troll.

Just goes to show you ARE all meatheads who know zero about martial arts specific strength and conditioning if you still think the bench press is a good exercise for martial artists.[/quote]

Whatever you say… Bro.

TS for more advice go to a different forum where Arnold and Ronnie Coleman are not worshipped.

[quote]MMA101 wrote:
TS for more advice go to a different forum where Arnold and Ronnie Coleman are not worshipped.[/quote]

LOL.

Fuck me! We do nothing right in this forum I guess… all the brotards come in and just run the show… thank god, lest we hand out more inept advice…

This is probably the first time i’ve ever done this on a forum, but it has to be done sometimes…

Hopefully TS doesnt use the routines at the top.

[quote]MMA101 wrote:
The benchpress is LAUGHED AT by top martial arts sports specific coaches.

LAUGHED AT

And you retards always encourage it. It is an ISOLATION EXERCISE, not good for martial arts.[/quote]

Actually a lot of wrestlers bench press.

This thread is hysterical. One of my MMA coaches is a body builder. He runs the 40 in like 5 seconds. Fighters lift, true. Training like a body builder will make a fighter slow, true. Lifting like a fighter will improve your speed and power, true. 1 day a week is not enough. I train combat sports almost everyday and I lift 3 days a week. My strength, speed, and agility increases with progressive loading and the way I lift and put my exercises together. Just google some of Randy Couture’s barbell circuits and compare that to how a body builder like Ronnie Coleman lifts. Its completely different. I’ve said this in a few threads; sport specific training requires training a sport specifically. Saying a fighter shouldn’t lift is like saying a sprinter shouldn’t squat.

Its not a Judoku, here’s some food for thought

[quote]MMA101 wrote:
TS for more advice go to a different forum where Arnold and Ronnie Coleman are not worshipped.[/quote]

I apologise for posting.

[quote]MMA101 wrote:
No im not a troll.

Just goes to show you ARE all meatheads who know zero about martial arts specific strength and conditioning if you still think the bench press is a good exercise for martial artists.[/quote]

Send me your address so I can send you the brotard of the week hat.

get real son.

kmc

[quote]BIGBOSSTRON wrote:
MMA101 wrote:
The benchpress is LAUGHED AT by top martial arts sports specific coaches.

LAUGHED AT

And you retards always encourage it. It is an ISOLATION EXERCISE, not good for martial arts.

Actually a lot of wrestlers bench press.[/quote]

I am aware of that, it doesnt mean it is correct though.

[quote]admbaum wrote:
This thread is hysterical. One of my MMA coaches is a body builder. He runs the 40 in like 5 seconds. Fighters lift, true. Training like a body builder will make a fighter slow, true. Lifting like a fighter will improve your speed and power, true. 1 day a week is not enough. I train combat sports almost everyday and I lift 3 days a week. My strength, speed, and agility increases with progressive loading and the way I lift and put my exercises together. Just google some of Randy Couture’s barbell circuits and compare that to how a body builder like Ronnie Coleman lifts. Its completely different. I’ve said this in a few threads; sport specific training requires training a sport specifically. Saying a fighter shouldn’t lift is like saying a sprinter shouldn’t squat.

I think people on this board simply tell people not to let lifting take over their training at the expense of skillwork.

I’d say most guys (and the women) here lift at least twice a week. And not many of us shy away from bench pressing… it’s just another exercise in the toolbox.

But I guess the REAL martial arts trainers laugh at it… whoever the fuck they are…

[quote]admbaum wrote:

That is real sports specific training. Cool gif aswell.

[quote]FightinIrish26 wrote:
admbaum wrote:

I think people on this board simply tell people not to let lifting take over their training at the expense of skillwork.

I’d say most guys (and the women) here lift at least twice a week. And not many of us shy away from bench pressing… it’s just another exercise in the toolbox.

But I guess the REAL martial arts trainers laugh at it… whoever the fuck they are…
[/quote]

All I can say is all the top MMA strength and conditioning coaches do not have their fighters do bench presses. I am not aware of the exact reasoning but I guess it is because it is an isolation exercise and you are never going to be laying flat on your back pushing your hands up unless you want to get armbarred.

The video that someone posted is the type of exercises you want to be doing for Judo as the ts is. His will be more tailored towards Judo of course, with exercises where he can mimick gripping and throwing, resistance bands maybe?

[quote]MMA101 wrote:
FightinIrish26 wrote:
admbaum wrote:

All I can say is all the top MMA strength and conditioning coaches do not have their fighters do bench presses. I am not aware of the exact reasoning but I guess it is because it is an isolation exercise and you are never going to be laying flat on your back pushing your hands up unless you want to get armbarred.
[/quote]

Wait- bench press is an isolation exercise? Seriously?

You just lost your right to tell anyone anything about training.

[quote]admbaum wrote:

Nobody here is advocating training like a bodybuilder. However, gaining muscle or strength is not a bad thing in any sport (unless you’re constricted by weight classes). This has been gone over a million times.

MMA101 wrote:
FightinIrish26 wrote:
admbaum wrote:

Wait- bench press is an isolation exercise? Seriously?[/quote]

It is quite an isolated movement yes. Very different to how ts will be moving in Judo.

Again, it can be done if ts wants to, but it’s not the type of exericse a Judoka would want to be doing regularly and leading up to a competition.

MMA101 wrote:
FightinIrish26 wrote:
admbaum wrote:

Wait- bench press is an isolation exercise? Seriously?[/quote]

Thats what I thought aswell. why wouldn’t you want strong pushing muscles. with the Bench press you can use the most amount of weight for push orientated exercise. I don’t see why so much hate for an exercise that is effective.

[quote]MMA101 wrote:
FightinIrish26 wrote:
MMA101 wrote:
FightinIrish26 wrote:
admbaum wrote:

It is quite an isolated movement yes. Very different to how ts will be moving in Judo.

Again, it can be done if ts wants to, but it’s not the type of exericse a Judoka would want to be doing regularly and leading up to a competition.

[/quote]

How much judo have you actually played??
got that Keru obi?
go ahead google that and come back.

do you teach? you rocking the shodan ?
not so much.

how much time have you actually trained?
how many times a day, week ect. and for how many years.

and to qoute Dan John if the bench is an isolation exercise, while your doing it if I stick a fork in your calf would it change your ability to bench?
get a clue.

go back to the rock you crawled out of

kmc

[quote]BIGBOSSTRON wrote:
FightinIrish26 wrote:
MMA101 wrote:
FightinIrish26 wrote:
admbaum wrote:

Thats what I thought aswell. why wouldn’t you want strong pushing muscles. with the Bench press you can use the most amount of weight for push orientated exercise. I don’t see why so much hate for an exercise that is effective.

[/quote]

The bench does not translate to the kind of strength you use in wrestling or judo as well as other kinds of movements, like big pulls, big cleans, big rows, and big deadlifts.

no one hates the bench, its just not the best way to train as a grappler-
its hard on the shoulders, impacts flexibility, and other methods are more sound.
thats all.

now how much judo have you trained?
how many years did you compete in judo,
or greco, or even HS wrestling.

right.

kmc

I bench. I’m a fighter. I also do a bunch of other things a bodybuilder does. Fighters can learn from bodybuilders and coexist. I have mad respect for anyone that has a goal and works their asses off to meet them. To go back to the point here; TS it would be in your best interest to lift more than 1 day a week if you want to increase your abilities in any sport.

Judo is one of my favorite grappling MA’s and it does require a bit of strength when you face an opponent of equal skill. I run into this issue a lot in jitz tourneys, especially in the open weight classes. I need strength to enhance my technique when I go against guys that outweigh me by more than 100lbs. You’ll love Judo. I do.

[quote]MMA101 wrote:

It is quite an isolated movement yes.
[/quote]

Oh really? Quite an isolated movement? Really?

You may need to go back to your fuckin weightlifting coach and break his fucking legs if you REALLY think that a goddamned bench press is “quite an isolation movement.”