Starting HSS-100

I have been lifting since mid May now and from May-July I saw some pretty good results with myself however I went about eating the wrong way so I plateaued. I didn’t do any research just picked up some magazines took some excercises from there did them and saw little muscle gain and became a bit more “toned”.

So I started off badly but I sure as hell am not going to end badly. I’ve been doing a lot of research and over on the Men’s Health forum I was referred to T-Nation and the HSS-100. I started the program monday and have changed the splits up a bit in order but following it to the dot.

I weight 166lbs, 6’11", BF% 13.5.

CT says that I should have about 1.25 grams of protein per pound of bodyweight. So in my case that should be around 207.5 grams of protein and that I should have a high caloric diet. I presume that it should be clean eating.

The HSS-100 has been great so far. Sure it only has been 4 days but I really enjoy it. I feel like it’s actually “working”. Rather than doing a bunch of posters I got from a magazine.

What I was wondering is if the following is a high enough caloric diet.

Two Egg Sandwich on Multi Grain Bread
Peanut Butter Sandwich on Multi Grain Bread
Turkey Sandwich on Multi Grain Bread
Soy Protein Drink (Says it has 42g of protein per bottle.)
Grilled Chicken Brown Rice Peppers Wrap
Whey Protein Shake (210 Calories 40g Protein)
Grilled Chicken Brown Rice Peppers Wrap

Yes I know that it is hard to say based on just a description of what I ate but any advice you can give would be good.

And if anybody has done the HSS-100 program before how long until you went up in weight, what kind of intervals did you lift at, etc… I just want to make sure I am doing things right. It usually takes me about 40-50 minutes to finish the workout.

Could I include some HIIT in it as well, or would this be a bad idea?

Also, I am serious about this and am not going to not do anything for two months. If you think a picture would help also let me know. Any advice given will be greatly appreciated (even the harsh advice). Thank you.

HSS-100 is not a beginner’s program. You need to use a basic routine that focuses on adding weight to the bar as often as possible. Do squats, deadlifts, bench presses, overhead presses, rows, and chin-ups. Add weight to the bar whenever you can. Also do curls, dips, calf raises, and lateral raises to build a balanced physique.

Eat way more than you have listed. I hardly see any fats in your diet, besides the fact that you don’t have enough calories to begin with. If you’re 6’11" and 166 lbs, you’ve got a LONG way to go. You’ve got a foot on me, and I’ve got 40 lbs on you and I’m by no means a big guy. Chicken, lean beef, fish (especially salmon), rice, quinoa, olive oil, fish oil, protein powders, lots of veggies, some fruits, and flax seeds are your new best friends. Cheeseburgers and pizza too, but don’t go overboard.

Thanks for the advice.

I’m not a beginner to lifting just a beginner to doing it right. I did the basic routines last year and then had to stop because classes were getting hectic. I started back up in may and did a lot of basic routine and gained some pretty good mass. I just figured the HSS-100 would be a challenge that I could manage.

So I should be looking at a 2000+ caloric intake? Or more?

[quote]Cee A. wrote:
Thanks for the advice.

I’m not a beginner to lifting just a beginner to doing it right. I did the basic routines last year and then had to stop because classes were getting hectic. I started back up in may and did a lot of basic routine and gained some pretty good mass. I just figured the HSS-100 would be a challenge that I could manage.

So I should be looking at a 2000+ caloric intake? Or more?[/quote]

Honestly, HSS-100 is an advanced program. I wouldn’t recommend it until you have a solid foundation of strength (at least bodyweight bench press and double bodyweight squat/DL) or you won’t get a whole lot from it, IMO. You need to do more than basic routines for a few months and then starting back up a few months later before you tackle such an advanced program.

2000 calories is low. My maintenance is a bit over 3000, and if you’re going to be gaining mass, you need to eat above your maintenance. Try 2500 or so and see how you do. If you’re gaining muscle without much fat, keep it there. If you’re gaining too much fat, decrease it by 250 or so. If you’re not gaining, eat more. Evaluate every 2 weeks or so and see how you’re doing.

Thanks OneEye for the advice. I am able to bench my body weight and double up on squats but I will definatley do some more basic routines before I start the program.

I will most definatley try out 2500 calories and see how it goes. Thanks again.