Starting Bulking Phase

I’ve tried the Body for Life diet, and have lost fat but have not gained muscle. I decided to up my caloric intake. Previously my diet consisted of about 1200 calories. I would have breakfast, lunch and dinner all while staying within the guidelines of the BFL diet. I would also have a Myoplex Deluxe bar or shake between meals. And for post workout (last meal of the night) I would use Beverly International’s “Mass Maker” with their creatine select. With that, for the day, I would total around:

1200 calories
110 g protein
150+/- g carbs
20+/- g fat

I’m 21, 5’11" and 180lbs. I want to start a bulking phase but not sure what to add to my diet.

At 1200Kcal and only 110 grams of protein per day I would be starving. Those are very low, I would guess you would have a lot of trouble gaining muscle. IMO I would at least double the Kcal and protein.

I am a little bit heavier than you (230) but I will consume 6400Kcal during a bulking phase.

im 18 215lbs and do about 6k calories on a normal day with about 200g of whey protien. but your 20g of fat is really low, fat isnt evil you need it man. up the doses on everything, just make sure your working your ass off so all those extra cals fats and proteins dont turn into fat.

Made some adjustments, added protein to my main meals. Also doubled up on the between meals. Here is where I’m at now:

3105 calories
341 g protein
271 g carbs
72 g fat

I more than doubled everything, still not sure if this is enough? Possibly add some Beverly “Ultra Size” or “Mass Maker” after each main meal. Adding that would have me around 4000 calories and 400 g protein.

Also is 24g or creatine before and then after workouts a good method? or should it be spread out during the day? Curious about L-Glutamine and L-Arginine too, if thats something that I should add to help with recovery. And what cardio if any should be done during bulking?

Congrats on the fat loss.

But, even though you are average size, 1200 calories is much to low for anyone. You should be able to maintain your weight while training hard at a much higher caloric intake.

If you want to bulk, slowly increase your calories. If you immediately jump up to 3000 cal, then you run the risk of gaining a bunch of fat do to a diet rebound effect. Slowly increase your protein and fat intake, and increase your carbs only slightly, to minimize insulin secretion.

[quote]camocop wrote:
Made some adjustments, added protein to my main meals. Also doubled up on the between meals. Here is where I’m at now:

3105 calories
341 g protein
271 g carbs
72 g fat

I more than doubled everything, still not sure if this is enough? Possibly add some Beverly “Ultra Size” or “Mass Maker” after each main meal. Adding that would have me around 4000 calories and 400 g protein.

Also is 24g or creatine before and then after workouts a good method? or should it be spread out during the day? Curious about L-Glutamine and L-Arginine too, if thats something that I should add to help with recovery. And what cardio if any should be done during bulking?[/quote]

so is that 48 grams a day or 24 grams a day, either way that seems a bit steep for a 180 lbs guy that just starting to lift. just my opinion. i do about 10-20grams of creatine a day. might want to stop at 10g a day until you start seeing some great gains, which you will with creatine, its great stuff, diet looks good, and i hope you succeed in your goals. happy lifting :slight_smile: