T Nation

Starting Back Up

After not touching a weight for 6 months and haven't trained consistently in over 2 years I need some advice because I've never had to do this whole starting over process.

Sr. year of high school I broke my thumb and tore my ACL & Meniscus (hamstring graft). since my thumb was really messed up I was unable to hold a barbell for 6 months without pain and it took about 6 months post op for my knee and athleticism to come back.

Right before football season started and I was injured I put up the following numbers all RAW.: Bench 315, Squat 405, (full range of motion) Deadlift 405, (I hated these and still do because I have T-rex arms) and Hang Cleaned 225 and I could 8 chin-ups from a dead hang.
I was decently strong and had some definition. I had used 5/3/1 to get me where I was and lots of hard work.

When I go to the gym I follow a structured warmup, lift, and get out. I don't do much accessory work or spend time on mirror muscles. Basically I'm telling y'all all of this so that y'all have an idea that I know what I'm doing.

I just started my sophomore year of college and I finally have a consistent schedule and a roommate that will lift me and push me. (He powerlifter in HS) I am stuck on the 3rd floor and since I've been up and down the stairs all day my bad knee is swollen. How should I start off the lifting? I'm thinking I should just do pushups, pull-ups and bodyweight lunges for about 3 weeks then start off working up to a heavy set of 6 twice a week for each lift. I want to follow this and ride out all of the "Newbie Gains" and muscle memory. What's y'alls input here? I'll also do some hanging leg raises for core work.

I'll be eating moderately clean- Protein shake for breakfast, meats and veggies for lunch and dinner. PWO will be my shake with an apple and all try to time this before dinner where I can also get some rice or potatoes for starch based carbs. I will allow myself 1 cheat meal per week for date night.

Im just not sure how fast I should add in work volume for my set soreness.

Thanks in advance y'all!

I’d get the knee fixed up properly before even thinking of any training involving it. If going up and down stairs bothers it, think what squats and DL and stuff will do.

Push ups and pull ups sound fine, same with leg raises. But with your knee, make sure it actually works before training with a load. If it swells up just going up and down stairs I’d guess something’s still pretty off.

Also, just out of curiosity - what exactly is a RAW lift compared to a raw lift? I always figured a raw lift is a lift done without supportive gear (squat suit, bench shirt, etc) and maybe without wraps (although that’s more nebulous), so is a RAW lift done without clothes or something? Also, I think a full ROM squat is what is generally assumed when you talk about your squat max. Otherwise it’s a half squat, or a quarter squat, or a loaded knee bend. Just FYI.

How you train once you get your knee sorted is entirely down to what you want to achieve. If you’ve used 5/3/1 before, that’s probably a good place to start. It’s a great program, after all and seems to generally get people stronger and bigger which seems to be something you want. I’m not sure where you get the heavy set of six twice a week per lift from, because that doesn’t sound very sustainable at all. With the injuries you’ve had, you may also need to do a bunch of accessory work to bring everything up to speed.

Get your knee right. Buy a decent belt, knee sleeves and wrist wraps and some hi top Chuck Taylors or wrestling shoes if you don’t have them. Do 5/3/1 and smart accessory training.

RAW is how I thought it was put, and from what I’ve seen mostly, some members are real critical about squat depth so I was trying to clear any discrepancies. I think the swelling is just a new stimulus that I’m not used to since I’ve never really had to go up and down them.

Imagine going form never needing to take the stairs from to going up and down 30 flights a day, I think it’ll be fine within a week or so. I’ll just do the pushups and pull-ups for now until I can squat and DL and at that point I’ll start back with 5/3/1.

Thanks Mark

[quote]5StarAthlete wrote:
RAW is how I thought it was put, and from what I’ve seen mostly, some members are real critical about squat depth so I was trying to clear any discrepancies. I think the swelling is just a new stimulus that I’m not used to since I’ve never really had to go up and down them.

Imagine going form never needing to take the stairs from to going up and down 30 flights a day, I think it’ll be fine within a week or so. I’ll just do the pushups and pull-ups for now until I can squat and DL and at that point I’ll start back with 5/3/1.

Thanks Mark[/quote]

Hehe, sorry, couldn’t help being a smartass.

That sounds good. You’d have to go a long way before you found a better program than 5/3/1.

I’d suggest something like DeFranco’s Agile Eight added as well just to keep things mobile.