Starting Back From Anxiety Attacks

Hey everyone,
Just got back from the gym and had a great workout. Legs were a little sore from yesterday’s workout, but since it was an upper body day today, it didn’t affect me.

Here’s the stats:

1. Mobility
    10-20 reps of:
    Yoga Twist
    Scap Pushups
    Double Neck Stretch

2. Prehab
    Cuban Press 2x15: 20
    Reverse Flyes 2x15: 50 (machine)

3. Core
    Machine Crunches 4x12: 100
    Bicycles 4x12: BW

4. Plyometrics/Speed
    Line jumps

5. Resistance
    1A. Lat Pulldown 3x10: 140
    1B. 1-arm rows 3x10: 65

2A. Incline DB Bench 3x10: 70
2B. DB Bicep Curls 3x10: 30

3A. DB Overhead Triceps Ext. 2x15: 65
3B. Side Raises 2x15: 17.5

1. Energy Systems
    Ran 1 mile around the indoor track.

2. Flexibility
    Used Foam Roller and did stretching.

Workout lasted 50 minutes. Tomorrow I’ll do some cardio in the a.m. and then attend my BJJ class in the evening.

Take care,
Dan

Hey everyone,
I’m a bit tired today, last night’s BJJ class took a lot out of me. Not all that surprising since I hadn’t been in a month. What did surprise me was that I hadn’t lost a step…in fact I felt like I was picking this up faster than before, which was nice.

I wound up partnered up with a 17-year-old kid who was there for the first time. I have to give him props because he really pushed me in class. The kid has crazy speed and flexibility. Made me feel old, especially when I tweaked my groin towards the end of class. But, I don’t think I would’ve progressed as rapidly last night had I not worked with him, as I had to work harder to keep up with him.

It was a great class! Took a while to get to sleep last night but today should be an easy one at work, so I hope to get some extra rest in this afternoon.

Take care,
Dan

[quote]Djwlfpack wrote:
Hey everyone,
Just got back from the gym and had a great workout. Legs were a little sore from yesterday’s workout, but since it was an upper body day today, it didn’t affect me.

Here’s the stats:

1. Mobility
    10-20 reps of:
    Yoga Twist
    Scap Pushups
    Double Neck Stretch

2. Prehab
    Reverse Flyes 2x15: 50 (machine)

3. Core
    Machine Crunches 4x12: 100

4. Plyometrics/Speed
    Line jumps

5. Resistance
    1A. Lat Pulldown 3x10: 140
    1B. 1-arm rows 3x10: 65

2B. DB Bicep Curls 3x10: 30

1. Energy Systems
    Ran 1 mile around the indoor track.

2. Flexibility

Workout lasted 50 minutes. Tomorrow I’ll do some cardio in the a.m. and then attend my BJJ class in the evening.

Take care,
Dan[/quote]

Boy, does that workout look familiar! :wink:

Let us know how it’s working for you - it’s definitely working for me now that I’ve gotten my volume to a more manageable level (I tend to add sets beyond the original programs kmanley has designed for me).

Oh Dan one more thing. The low rep leg day (the one with pistols) - pistols weren’t in the original program, Bulgarian split squats were. You might find those more doable if you’re too tired to do pistols that late in the workout.

Jinx,
Thanks for letting me know that. I had a hard time getting through the Pistols the other day, so I will likely switch to the Bulgarian split squats the next time.

Love the workout! Thanks to you, and thanks to Kevin for designing it.
-Dan

Hey everyone,
Before I begin I want to send my thoughts and prayers to the families of Platte Canyon High School for the tragedy that happened yesterday. Platte Canyon is one of the high schools I cover in my job, so I know the school well and know that the community is close-knit, so I’m sure the past 24 hours have been very hard on everyone.

I went to the gym this morning and got in a good workout. I think the distraction of the gym helped get my mind off what happened yesterday.

Here’s the stats:

1. Mobility
    Supine Bridge
    Fire Hydrants

2. Prehab
    Side Lunges, 2x8

3. Core
    Bicycles, 3x12: BW
    Seated Crunch, 3x12: 110

4. Plyometrics/Speed
    Skipped

5. Resitance

6. Squat, 4x8: 185
    2A. Sumo Deadlift, 3x10: 185
    2B. Lunges, 3x10: 95
    3A. Leg Curl, 3x12: 80
    3B. Standing Calf Raises, 3x12: 180

7. Energy Systems
    Ran 1 mile

8. Flexibility
    Stretching for 10 min.

Tomorrow will be my 2nd upper-body workout.

Take care,
Dan

Hey everyone,
Just got back from the gym and had a great workout, which is just what I needed since I had a rough night of sleep. Took forever to dose off and then I was awoken shortly thereafter by some hooligans outside who were shooting off fireworks! I didn’t bother to look at the clock, I knew it was in the middle of the night. Thankfully I didn’t have to get up early for work and slept in till 8 a.m.

As for today’s workout, it was an upper-body day. Here’s the stats:

1. Mobility
    Cat/Camel
    Yoga Twist
    Double Neck Stretch

2. Prehab
    External Rotations, 2x10: 10

3. Core
    Woodchops, 2x10: 60

4. Plyometrics/Speed
    Box Jumps

5. Resistance
    1A. Pull-ups 4 sets: 8,7,7,7
    1B. Seated Rows w/Rope, 4x8: 120, 110, 110, 110
    2A. BB Bench Press, 3x6: 185
    2B. BB Bicep Curls, 3x6: 70
    3A. Dips, 3x8: BW + 35 lbs.
    3B. Preacher Reverse Curl, 3x8: 50

6. Chest-supported Lateral Raises, 2x12: 20

7. Engery Systems
    Ran 1 mile

8. Flexibility
    Soft-tissue work with tennis ball and stretching.

Taking tomorrow off and will get in some cardio on Sunday.

Take care,
Dan

Hey everyone,
Just got back from the gym and had a really good workout. I decided to switch to upper-body today instead of lower-body, as my legs are still a bit sore from the other day, so I figured I’d give them another day of rest before I work them out again.

Here’s the stats:

1. Mobility
    10-20 reps of:
    Yoga Twist
    Scap Pushups
    Double Neck Stretch

2. Prehab
    Reverse Flyes 2x15: 55 (machine)

3. Core
    Machine Crunches 4x12: 110

4. Plyometrics/Speed
    Line jumps

5. Resistance
    1A. Lat Pulldown 3x10: 140, 150, 150
    1B. 1-arm rows 3x10: 70

2B. DB Bicep Curls 3x10: 32.5

1. Energy Systems
    12 minutes on elliptical.

2. Flexibility

Take care,
Dan

Hey everyone,
Just got back from another good workout. Here’s the stats:

1. Mobility 10-20 reps of each:
    Fire Hydrants
    Supine Bridge
    Prone Scorpion
    Hip Corrections

2. Injury Prevention
    Toe Points 2x15
    Cable Abductions 2x10

3. Core
    Cable pullover crunch 3x10: 140, 150
    Knee raises 3x10: BW

4. Speed/plyometrics
    skipped

5. Resistance
    1A. Front Squat 3x6: 175
    1B. Stiff-legged Deadlifts 3x6: 165

6. Pistols 3x8: BW

3A. Seated leg curl 3x8: 90, 100, 100
3B. Sumo Deadlift 3x6: 235

1. Engery Systems Work
    Ran 1 mile around indoor track.

2. Flexibility
    Did some work on the Foam Roller and then stretched. This portion lasted 10 minutes.

Tomorrow I plan on going for a longer run, somewhere in the 20-30 minute range. I have to skip my BJJ tomorrow night b/c I have a rare Tuesday football game to cover for work. But, I switched things around in my schedule so that I can go Thursday night instead.

I plan on taking it easy the rest of the day today. My goal is to not turn the TV on until the primetime shows come on.

Take care,
Dan

So you did pistols after all eh? Nice! They’re tough as hell. My form on them still isn’t great but it’s not too shabby.

[quote]Jinx Me wrote:
So you did pistols after all eh? Nice! They’re tough as hell. My form on them still isn’t great but it’s not too shabby. [/quote]

Yeah, although I regretted the decision shortly after! My form sucks, too. Especially when I’m standing on my right leg, since I’ve had a history of sprained ankles on that leg, it’s weaker than the left, so I’m usually wobbling all over the place trying to get down to parallel.

Hello Dan,

Jinx let me know that you were doing her program and I thought I’d drop by this thread and see how it was going for you. Glad to see you’re liking it. Honestly though I think that any program that follows AC’s “Seven Keys” outline can’t really go wrong.

-Kev

[quote]kmanley wrote:
Hello Dan,

Jinx let me know that you were doing her program and I thought I’d drop by this thread and see how it was going for you. Glad to see you’re liking it. Honestly though I think that any program that follows AC’s “Seven Keys” outline can’t really go wrong.

-Kev[/quote]

Kev,
I really like the program. Like you said, following AC, it’s really hard to go wrong. I’ve made some slight changes like dropping a set on most exercises just to try and keep the overall volume down, especially when I’m training BJJ and Muay Thai. I don’t know how Jinx was adding EXTRA stuff to the program…she’s got a lot of energy!

The mobility, prehab and flexibility have been good for me, as they were areas I neglected for too long.

Like Jinx, I’m looking to add size to my back and arms, and deactivating my traps, which tend to take over in back, shoulder exercises. Leg development is another area I’m looking at, and the 2x a week focus will help that.

Thanks again for setting up the program…it’s great!
-Dan

Hey everyone,
Just got back from the gym and had a pretty good workout. Was a bit tired from a long day of work yesterday, but I managed to have decent energy throughout the workout.

1. Mobility
    Cat/Camel
    Yoga Twist
    Double Neck Stretch

2. Prehab
    External Rotations, 2x12: 10

3. Core
    Woodchops, 2x10: 60

4. Plyometrics/Speed
    Box Jumps

5. Resistance
    1A. Pull-ups 3 sets: 10, 9, 9
    1B. Seated Rows w/Rope, 4x8: 110
    2A. BB Bench Press, 3x6: 195
    2B. BB Bicep Curls, 3x6: 75
    3A. Dips, 3x8: BW + 35 lbs.
    3B. Preacher Reverse Curl, 3x8: 50

6. Chest-supported Lateral Raises, 2x12: 25

7. Engery Systems
    skipped

8. Flexibility
    Soft-tissue work with tennis ball and stretching.

Thankfully there’s nothing going on this afternoon, so I can take it easy and relax.

Take care,
Dan

Hey everyone,
Well, apparently my groin injury from last week isn’t as healed up as I originally thought. I went to BJJ class last night but had to stop after 10 minutes, as my injury flared up again. Same thing as last time, I was going to pull guard and as soon as swung my left leg up to wrap it around my partner’s waist, the groin area tightened up and the area had a warm feeling to it. My ROM was severly decreased. I tried to stretch it out but it didn’t help.

It’s a nagging thing, really, as I can walk, run and do leg work in the gym without a problem. I think it’s just my body’s still not used to the movements in BJJ and my flexibility still needs work.

So, I’ll give it a few days’ extra rest, do some extra stretching and hopefully things will be better by the time Tuesday’s class rolls around.

I plan on going to the gym a bit later.

Take care,
Dan

Hey everyone,
Good news so far is that my groin injury seems to be healing itself rather quickly. As of now I plan on going to BJJ class on Tuesday. I’m pretty confident things will be fine.

Call me Mr. Flip-Flop as I’ve once again changed my strength training program. It’s not a big change but I went from upper and lower body split back to total body workouts. Just don’t have time to get in to the gym consistently 4x a week, so I’m doing 3 full body workouts, still following Cosgrove’s 7 Keys. Plus, I’m going to start training Muay Thai once a week starting this week, so I had to cut down one day at the gym just to give my body proper time to heal.

Schedule will look like this:

Sunday: Strength training
Monday: Cardio or off (if I don’t do cardio on Sundays)
Tuesday: BJJ
Wednesday: Strength training
Thursday: off
Friday: Strength training
Saturday: Muay Thai or off (depending on work schedule)

Here’s what I did today:

1. Mobility
    Fire Hydrants
    Supine Bridge
    Cat/Camel

2. Prehab
    Cuban Press, 2x12: 20
    Reverse Flyes, 2x12: 70

3. Core
    Cable pullover crunch, 2x15: 120, 130
    Hanging Pikes, 2x15: BW

4. Plyometrics
    Line Jumps

5. Resistance
    1A. Squat, 3x10: 135, 155, 165 (dropped a lot of weight to work on ass-to-grass form).
    1B. Stiff-legged DL’s, 3x10: 155
    1C. Seated Calf Raises, 3x10: 90

6. Incline Bench Press, 3x8: 75

7. Lat Pulldowns, 3x10: 150, 160, 160
    4A. Cable Pressdowns, 2x10: 110, 130
    4B. Cable Curls, 2x10: 80, 90

8. Engergy systems
    Skipped, will do Monday.

9. Flexibility
    Worked with tennis ball and did some light stretching afterwards.

Anxiety-wise I’ve been doing well lately…just trying to make sure I don’t over work myself. I took Thursday off just to give myself a mental break and it felt really good to sit home, read, play some Final Fantasy on my Game Boy Advance and chill out.

Take care,
Dan

I seem to have caught the injury bug. First it was my groin. Now, as soon as that heals itself up, I go and hurt my rotator cuff. It happened yesterday doing DB Inclines on my first set, I tried to lift the DB’s up and couldn’t get the left arm fully extended and had to drop the weight. I found someone to give me a spot and I made it through the rest of the workout fine. Shortly after returning home is when I started to get pain in my shoulder. The pain came from any quick or sudden movements of my left arm. I took some Motrin, did heat/ice and tried to stretch some last night before bed. Woke up this morning and it felt a little better, but ROM is still limited.

Any suggestions as to how to possibly speed up the healing process?

This is so frustrating! Guess this is what happens when get older, you don’t bounce back as quickly from injuries like you did before.

Hey everyone,
Thankfully, my rotator cuff is healing itself quite nicely. I have a lot more ROM today than I did yesterday and Sunday. Been doing a lot of ice treatments and taking Motrin. Tomorrow I’ll probably alternate between ice and heat and see how that feels. I’m skipping my BJJ class tonight but I think I should be ready by Thursday evening, but we’ll see how it goes.

Went for a nice 3-mile run today. It’s a bit cold out here in CO, but I bought some nice thin gloves (I use them for work so I can still write when it’s cold and I’m outside), so I wore those along with a light long-sleeved T-shirt. Time was right around 25 minutes, which I was happy with, as I focused on keeping a nice, steady pace.

Tomorrow I’m going to go to the gym. I’ll focus mostly on legs, but will throw in some upper-body stuff that doesn’t bring the rotator cuff into play.

Take care,
Dan

hey man - just caught up with you again and i’m sorry to hear you’re accident prone lately but at least you’re healing quickly! Good diet and rest sure do help in that regard. Also, epsom salt baths and contrast showers (or hot/cold towel therapy) really, really help too. But it sounds like you’re on the mend anyway - just thought a few tips might help if there’s a next time… these things sometimes happen in threes you know! uh oh, hope i didn’t jinx you - wouldn’t that be fitting.

It would be fitting…now I’m going to have to go around knocking on wood all day long to avoid another injury!

Seriously though, thanks for the tips. How was your Thanksgiving?

Hey everyone,
Just got back from the gym and had a good scaled-down workout. I stayed away from shoulder and chest exercises since my rotator cuff is still sore.

Here’s the stats:
Leg Press, 4x12: 540, 630, 630, 630

Standing Calf Raises, 4x12: 270

Standing Hamstring Curl, 4x12: 50, 60 (3)

Cable Curls, 3x12: 90, 100, 100

Cable Pressdowns, 3x12: 120, 130, 140

Reverse Wrist Curls, 3x12: 40 (15), 50, 50

Ran for 1 mile and did some stretching and rotator cuff work with no weights afterwards.

I’ve gained a little more ROM back today, so as of now, things are all set for me to return to BJJ class on Thursday. I’ll probably hold off on chest and shoulder work for the rest of the week, just to be safe.

Take care,
Dan