Starting All Over Again

Rippetoe Program Week 2 Day 5
Front Squat: 3 X 5 @ 185 I read the wrong day and did it again.
Military Press: 3 X 5 @ 120
Power Clean: 3 X 5 @ 150
I got this upper chest phlegm thing thats killing me I think it made everything feel way too heavy hopefully with 2 days off I can kick it.

Sorry did not mean to derail your thread. I was just saying if your options are unreliable equipment or an hour commute I would rather just get a power rack and bar myself. Best of luck.

I posted some pics of my gym, It actually has everything I need for Rippetoe, the nice part is me and my lifting partner are really the only two that use it so nobody complains when we push the flat bench into the squat rack to do bench.

A quick question to anyone reading I want to add 1 lift to work outs A and B any suggestions?

Ok so get this I ordered Supps from Biotest last week, they ship out of Colorado actually like 6.5 hours away, common sense would say, Ok ship to Denver then to Rapid City right, no the ship to Denver then to Memphis Tn then back to Denver then to Rapid City Sd for distribution! If it was an option I could drive their and pick it up faster!

[quote]RyanBrown0311 wrote:
I posted some pics of my gym, It actually has everything I need for Rippetoe, the nice part is me and my lifting partner are really the only two that use it so nobody complains when we push the flat bench into the squat rack to do bench.

A quick question to anyone reading I want to add 1 lift to work outs A and B any suggestions?[/quote]

I don’t know much about Rippetoe, but … it appears he favors compound movements. I’d say chins, both workouts.

Rippetoe Program Week 3 Day 1
Squat: 3 X 5 @ 250 had to digg a little for 4 & 5 ont he last set.
Bench Press: 3 X 5 @ 165 a little tough but a good weight.
Skull Crushers: 3 X 5 @ 60 good weight I don’t feel like I over did it, yet.
Dead Lift: 1 X 5 @ 275 Smoked it, heavy but good!

Ok so weeks 1 & 2 went almost too good so I figured I started a little too light so I jumped everything up a bit, I thought about adding chins but the only sutable chin bar is in the auditorium way up the hill I didn’t figure it would work out well, so I went with Skull Crusher Tricep extensions, and Barbell Curls.

I thought about adding chins but the only sutable chin bar is in the auditorium way up the hill I didn’t figure it would work out well, so I went with Skull Crusher Tricep extensions, and Barbell Curls.
[/quote]

My gym doesn’t have a suitable chin bar either, so I set the olympic bar in the power rack up about 3 feet from the floor and did fat man sternum chins, aka inverted rows.

Not a bad substitute, especially if you have difficulty doing more than a dozen chins.

[quote]Loose Tool wrote:
RyanBrown0311 wrote:
I thought about adding chins but the only sutable chin bar is in the auditorium way up the hill I didn’t figure it would work out well, so I went with Skull Crusher Tricep extensions, and Barbell Curls.

My gym doesn’t have a suitable chin bar either, so I set the olympic bar in the power rack up about 3 feet from the floor and did fat man sternum chins, aka inverted rows.

Not a bad substitute, especially if you have difficulty doing more than a dozen chins.

[/quote]

I have the equipment to do those, I think that I will add those at the end of each work out also.
I know it’s a Newb. thing but I feel like I should be working more arms (GOD knows I don’t actually know anything) but I’ll keep the other 2 lifts until I stall on them.

Rippetoe Program Week 3 Day 3,
Front Squat: 1 @ 205, 1 @ 195
Standing Press: 3 X 5 @ 135
Power Clean: 3 X 5 @ 160
Barbell Curl: 1 X 5 @ 95, 2 X 5 @ 75

I thought I would switch things up a bit today for a little variety and it blew up in my face, I like squats actually they are my fav. lifts so I thought I would put it at the end of my workout to look forward to but by the time I got there my legs were gassed. I have some concern with my Standing Press, I got my reps today but I don’t know if I will be able to move up next week.

The inverted row is closer to a bent row than a chin up and work your upper back. I do them as a warm up. They are a great compliment to push ups.

Chin ups work in the vertical plane and work your lats more. To modify the inverted row to simulate a chin up, mount the bar a little higher so you are able to sit on the ground with your upper body vertical. Keep your legs bent. To make it more challenging, keep your feet off the ground in an L-sit.

Stu

Rippetoe Program Week 3 Day 3,
Front Squat: 1 @ 205, 1 @ 195
Standing Press: 3 X 5 @ 135
Power Clean: 3 X 5 @ 160
Barbell Curl: 1 X 5 @ 95, 2 X 5 @ 75
I thought I would switch things up a bit today for a little variety and it blew up in my face, I like squats actually they are my fav. lifts so I thought I would put it at the end of my workout to look forward to but by the time I got there my legs were gassed. I have some concern with my Standing Press, I got my reps today but I don’t know if I will be able to move up next week.[/quote]

That’s a big jump in standing press, up from 120 last time. You would do better making the jumps smaller. Go for 140 next time anyway. If you don’t make all reps, repeat the same weight next time.

Also with the front squat, you did 185 last time and jumped to 205 this time. That’s too big a jump. You should have gone 195.

Power cleans, especially when the weight is close to your front squat will certainly impact your squat. That’s not a bad thing, you are getting the training benefit. You need your legs fresh for power cleans so I recommend doing them first. The reason you were too gassed to do front squats is you tried to progress too quick.

Overall, you seem to be a little impatient with the weight increments. Take it slower, 5 lbs for upper body, no more than 10 for lower. You will be able to progress longer and you will stall out at higher weights that if you keep going as you have been.

Stu

[quote]stuward wrote:

Overall, you seem to be a little impatient with the weight increments. Take it slower, 5 lbs for upper body, no more than 10 for lower. You will be able to progress longer and you will stall out at higher weights that if you keep going as you have been.

Stu
[/quote]

Thanks Stu this is exactly why I keep this log I tend to go overboard, the 1st 2 weeks went way too well and I goosed every thing up, too far.

So with that said here’s Todays workout
Rippetoe Program Week 3 Day 5:
Squat: 3 X 5 @ 255, Dugg for the last 2 of the last set again.
Bench Press: 3 X 5 @ 170, the 2nd set was a killer 3rd went up without a fight.
Dead Lift: 1 X 5 @ 285, Actually felt easier that last time @ 275.
4.5 L-Sit Pullups.
I think I might have to invest in some straps, my grip is real strong but 285 slipped enough to make me nervous about pulling 295 next week.

What grip are you using? I’m riding the double overhand as long as possible.

[quote]TheDudeAbides wrote:
I think I might have to invest in some straps, my grip is real strong but 285 slipped enough to make me nervous about pulling 295 next week.

What grip are you using? I’m riding the double overhand as long as possible.[/quote]

I guess it would be double over hand, both palms facing back thumbs inboard with thumb length from the start of the knurl on the bar. if that makes sense, It’s the same grip as my bench press.

If I’m one of those guys, just know it was out of necessity not preference. Although now I do enjoy them.

Rotating, although not in “the” program, is a nice way to alter the routine.

TheDudeAbides wrote:

What grip are you using? I’m riding the double overhand as long as possible.

I guess it would be double over hand, both palms facing back thumbs inboard with thumb length from the start of the knurl on the bar. if that makes sense, It’s the same grip as my bench press.[/quote]

Yeah, that’s it. This grip will only take you so far. Eventually you may have to switch to a mixed grip. One over/under hand. Hand strength/grip is one of the more difficult areas to build. It just takes time. Of course, this is from my experience. I’m sure others will have a completely different take on grip and grip strength.

[quote]TheDudeAbides wrote:
Hand strength/grip is one of the more difficult areas to build. It just takes time. Of course, this is from my experience. I’m sure others will have a completely different take on grip and grip strength.[/quote]

Hand/Grip strength is actually one of my stronger areas, former Bullrider/Bullfighter. Holding on is kinda important, I have the strength but it’s the sweat thats causing the prob, do you think chalk would be a better route???

The deadlift is more for the hamstrings and back. If your grip is the limiting factor then you’re really not hitting them properly. I do double overhand for the warmup sets. Then I switch to an alternating grip for the second last set and straps for the last set. Having a strong grip is important but I think you will get more benefit from the deadlift if you use some assistance for the grip.

Stu

If I start using a alternating grip do I have to, alternate which is hand is rotated every couple of workouts to prevent some type of imbalance??

That’s right, either set to set or workout to workout.