Starting All Over Again

So about 9 years ago I was 240 lbs then I blew my right knee. I got out of the Corps and got depressed, eventually had knee surgery and life went on. I got myself a BS degree and a Job. During the application process I had to submit a full body photo, Holy shit I was still 240 but not the 240 I once was. so I stopped drinking soda and eating every in sight.

I switched jobs and now work as a wellness Instructor(Drill Instructor) for troubled youth. I have to lead PT (Physical Training) for the “kids” 3-4 days per week so I have slimmed down to a mediocre 210-215 but I’m stuck. I cant get any lower and I’m in hillbilly hell South Dakota with the only quality gym about 1 hour away. work has a gym with junk that have been donated.

back in the day my gym partner was an amateur body builder when we trained he would lead and I would follow, he told me, lift this much, that many times and I did, now I got no partner no program. I have the drive and dedication to do it I just need a program. I was/am a good soldier I follow orders but with out a program I’m lost. If anybody knows a link to a program or something that will help me set up a program I would appreciate it.

Mostly I need help in the weight and reps and how to effectively group the lifts. I’m looking for functional strength and muscle endurance, size is cool and all but not my main goal.
Thanks for enduring my ranting and rambling.

A good place to start is the “Are you a Beginner” thread up top. Has links to programs and nutrition info that will get you started.

Start with “Starting Strength”. Even though you are in reasonable condition, you are far from where you used to be so with a proper program you can make gains fast. This is the program to capitalize on those fast gains.

There are a couple of guys on this forum with Ripptoe logs ongoing. A couple are starting from a solid base already so you can get an idea of what they’re doing.

http://www.T-Nation.com/tmagnum/readTopic.do?id=1893072
http://www.T-Nation.com/tmagnum/readTopic.do?id=1938370

Stu

sort of depends on what you want… if you want to build muscle you gotta start some weight training… i dont go to the gym for this, i’ve just got a cheap bench, a bunch of weights, a barbell, an EZ bar and some dumbells… im lookin in to gettin a squat stand soon too as i cant get into position with the weights i lift atm with out it…

find a split that best suits ur schedule, i got mine at:

start a good diet full of wholegrain, wholemeal, veg, meat, brown rice and brown pasta, and get some protein shakes, creatine serum and fish oil tabs…

increase your calories by 500 to start gaining weight -eat right and the majority of that weight will be lean muscle, eat wrong and it will be fat…

if u got some fat to shift then personally i would still go down the weight training route to build some muscle under your fat so that in a couple of months, when you come to ‘cutting’ you’ll be left with bigger muscles underneath…

if you dont want to do that, and want to go stright to a cut (lose fat) then i’d look into HIIT (high intensity interval training) and look into various diets to help lose that fat (im going to give the TNT diet a try for my cut due in May)…

hope this is of some help?!

dt.

[quote]davetuffnel wrote:
sort of depends on what you want… if you want to build muscle you gotta start some weight training… i dont go to the gym for this, i’ve just got a cheap bench, a bunch of weights, a barbell, an EZ bar and some dumbells… im lookin in to gettin a squat stand soon too as i cant get into position with the weights i lift atm with out it…

[/quote]

Thanks for the link it has good info and in a couple of clicks I found the 1 rep max calculators one of the things I need, Im mathematically dyslexic, My work Gym sounds like your home Gym It has a squat rack, bench, incline bench, flat bench,and a seated bench thing(?) and an ass load of DB’s from 12 lbs to 120 lbs and plates, a couple of stationary bikes, row machine and pull-down machine.

[quote]RyanBrown0311 wrote:
davetuffnel wrote:

Thanks for the link it has good info and in a couple of clicks I found the 1 rep max calculators one of the things I need, Im mathematically dyslexic, My work Gym sounds like your home Gym It has a squat rack, bench, incline bench, flat bench,and a seated bench thing(?) and an ass load of DB’s from 12 lbs to 120 lbs and plates, a couple of stationary bikes, row machine and pull-down machine.[/quote]

That’s all you need. 1RM calculators are never accurate, and if you eventually need to find out your 1RM for a future program, that’s something that’s not hard to do.

I suggest doing the Rippetoe program that was posted earlier, for at least a few months.

I’m going to do the Rippetoe Program, It’s actually what I was looking for, the last 3 days or so I have been reading everything and my head is about to explode, the majority of the work I had done in the past was with the “Bigger, Faster, Stronger” program, it has everything broken down to %of 1RM ie… 3X10X45%, with my mathematical dysfunctions that alone makes my head spin. Keep in mind I’m not stupid but, I just cant do math the #'s freak me out, so the 1RM calculator “relaxes” my anxiety about figuring my workout.

Having had a good nights rest and reading more or the Rippetoe thread I see that I don’t need to use the previous formulas, (Thank God) Any ways I’m gong to try my best to keep a Blog(first time ever) of my workouts, diet, and progress for some of you experienced guys to yell at me if I’m not doing it right!

Thanks to ALL of you for your input thus far, I have not had a poor experience with anyone here at T-Nation or the Magnum forums everyone is extremely help full and supportive!

[quote]RyanBrown0311 wrote:
Having had a good nights rest and reading more or the Rippetoe thread I see that I don’t need to use the previous formulas, (Thank God) Any ways I’m gong to try my best to keep a Blog(first time ever) of my workouts, diet, and progress for some of you experienced guys to yell at me if I’m not doing it right![/quote]

All I have to say is, WELCOME. Rippetoe is the greatest program I have ever encountered. Emphasize the “I” because I’m sure other people will disagree. Definitely keep a thread/blog. It helps keep you accountable and allows other members to give advice and encouragement.

This is because you are open to suggestions and willing to learn. Plus, your first post wasn’t in Rate My Physique. That greatly helps in taking you seriously.

Good luck with Rippetoe, I’ll be keeping an eye on your progress.

Ok so this morning was my first workout with the Rippetoe Program!
I did:
Squat: 3X5 @ 205 and my form broke down a little bit on #3 of my last set but I held it together for #'s 4&5
Bench Press: 3 X 5 @ 135 I started to shake a little bit on #4 of my last set.
Dead Lift: 1 X5 @ 225, Prob. could have done much more weight but since I’m starting over I figured on going a little over my Squat and keeping my form tight.
Looking forward to my next workout on Thursday!

I know I didn’t lift that much but just being back in the Gym with a program, I feel good, I feel strong.

Good job. Rippetoe recommends starting light so that you can make steady progress. It sounds like you started a little heavy but you should be OK if you don’t push too hard. Make your increments small. You don’t want to get to a point where you stall and have to reset right off the bat. I’d say go up by no more than 5# on bench and squat and 10# on DL. Thursday must be your mil press day. Take it easy on those and leave some room to progress.

Stu

[quote]stuward wrote:
Thursday must be your mil press day. Take it easy on those and leave some room to progress.

Stu[/quote]

Actually I have some questions on that I have always had difficulty with that exercise, I have weak shoulders vertically speaking I was thinking starting off @ about 95-100 lbs does that sound excessively light??

No, it doesn’t sound light. Normally the press is about 2/3 of the bench so it’s proportionate to your bench. They should go up at about the same rate. The problem is that it’s hard to go up by less that 5lbs at a time. There’s 2 ways around that. Say you get to 3x5@100lbs but it’s hard and you don’t want to jump to 105 lbs. Next time do 3x7@100lbs, then next time do 3x5@105lbs. You have a progression each workout but you only have to put the weight up every second workout.

Thanks Stu, I’ll keep that in mind. If any body is interested I have started 3 blogs 1st is My Rippetoe program(updated Daily), the 2nd is my Diet(updated Daily) and 3rd is my Measurements/weight/body fat (updated weekly), I did them more for self motivation than anything else but feel free to look them over and give any advice you like.
Thanks Again!
[photo]10953[/photo]
Ok so here’s me, no making fun of the Ink work

Why make fun of the ink work? Looks good, but they’ll look even better when you get back into shape.

As far as starting weight, stu is obviously spot on. Start with what you can handle. Don’t let your ego get in the way of good progress :stuck_out_tongue: I started off all my weights fairly low. I wanted to make sure I didn’t stall after two weeks. Well its six weeks later and I’m still gaining because I do 5 lb increments. Doesn’t seem like a lot? That’s a 15 lb weekly gain on squat, then 10 lbs on bench or military depending on which week you’re doing. That is good progress in my book.

You have a good foundation. A little chub on the sides (so do I), not a big deal.

I finally got my “The Pit Workout” DVD in the mail today, I was planning on using it on my “off” days, I’ve watched the 1st workout and seems to be mostly stretch, cal and, endurance work. According to the Post at: Guide to Novice Barbell Training, aka the Official RIPPETOE-STARTING STRENGTH FAQ - Page 2 - Bodybuilding.com Forums
I could do Cardio every day but I think for now 3 of 7 is more than enough. The only question is what day should I do what workout, the is an upper body, a lower body and a whole body work out. Any Suggestions so I’m not over working any one area. I was thinking,

Rippetoe Workout A\B
The Pit Work Out
Odd Weeks (1,3,5…)
A. Squat, Bench, Dead lift
Lower Body
B. Standing Press,Bent Row, Power Clean
Upper Body
Whole Body
Off
Off
Even weeks(2,4,6…")
Upper Body
Lower Body
Whole Body
Off
Off

Eventually when the weather warms here in Hillbilly Hell, I’ll start running on my first off day(3 Miles @ <30 Min).
I think I’ll start this on week 3.
Should take care of…

[quote]TheDudeAbides wrote:
You have a good foundation. A little chub on the sides (so do I), not a big deal.[/quote]

Your “B” day should be"

Squat 3x5
Mil Press 3x5
Clean 5x3 OR Row 3x5

Good luck. Don’t ever worry about going too light when your trying to break muscle back into former habits. You won’t hurt yourself with warmup sets to see how your shoulders are feeling either.

So you’re going to do both Rippetoe and The Pit Work Out?

I just looked up The Pit. Are you going into MMA or just want the look of Chuck Liddell? I really don’t think you need to do both of them unless you’re using The Pit for cardio and conditioning[edit: just reread, so yes you are]. That might be a little too much to start off with. I would add that in after two weeks, once you’ve adjusted to the Rippetoe workouts.

As far as starting weight, please do go light. Take the advice of someone that is actually going through the program.