Starting AD w/ 4680 Calories!

This just does not seem right to me. I may be fat, but I do not think I have ever eaten this many calories before.

18 x 260 = 4680 / 5 = 936 Cals per meal. I think I would get sick. I know I can add dense cals by consuming liquid oils like Olive and Flax with my meals, but still…

I guess my question is, should I really start the AD with so many cals? Or should I figure out my LBM weight and multiply that by 18 and go from there???

Thanks!

I’d be willing to be you are getting near to that in calories and you don’t even know it. A frappucino and a scone at Starbucks can push you over 1,000 calories. Keep a food log for the next couple days and eat like you normally would. I think you will surprise yourself.

[quote]TheTank123 wrote:
I’d be willing to be you are getting near to that in calories and you don’t even know it. A frappucino and a scone at Starbucks can push you over 1,000 calories. Keep a food log for the next couple days and eat like you normally would. I think you will surprise yourself.[/quote]

Yep, why do you think people end up getting fat in the first place.

The skinny guys always think they are eating more than they really are, and the opposite is usually true for the fat folks.

While you may not need that many calories, you may be surprised at how many you are or have been consuming so try the food log as suggested.

You have to keep in mind the Anabolic Diet is written for bodybuilders(and powerlifters) so Dr. D is probably assuming the person is fairly lean to start. A 260 lb leanish offseason bodbuilder is a pretty big person and needs that much food, but if you are overweight you likely need much less. Figure out your lean body mass and base it off that perhaps.

[quote]scottiscool wrote:
You have to keep in mind the Anabolic Diet is written for bodybuilders(and powerlifters) so Dr. D is probably assuming the person is fairly lean to start. A 260 lb leanish offseason bodbuilder is a pretty big person and needs that much food, but if you are overweight you likely need much less. Figure out your lean body mass and base it off that perhaps.[/quote]

He’s pretty adamant that during the break-in phase you go 18X bodyweight, not Lean Mass weight. If you’re using the AD for cutting, you then drop down to 12X BW during the week after your first carb feed. You need a serious influx of fat in the beginning to switch over your metabolism.

To the OP- the diet works. Don’t think you are smarter than the diet. You’re not.

I was a bit hasty posting this. I should have just tried it first, but it sounded really high to me because when I was on a traditional low fat high veggie carb diet, I had a hard time ever breaking 3500 calories.

I did my first day on the AD yesterday and found it to be easy to get my calories. I even had to have a lighter than normal dinner (1 chicken breast only) to not go too far over.

Here is the basics from my tracking my meals on fitday.com yesterday.

Total: 4726
grams cals %total
Fat: 331 2977 65%
Sat: 134 1206 26%
Poly: 21 188 4%
Mono: 84 758 16%
Carbs: 66 203 4%
Fiber:15 0 0%
Protein:359 1434 31%
Alcohol:0 0 0%

I went high on my carbs, I would have been a lot closer, but I had 10 OZ of milk which hurt bad, and the whey I currently am on has 4 grams per scoop (2 scoops per shake :frowning: ). I got some new low carb whey though so I should be able to stay under 30 grams carbs now I think.

[quote]LeoDeSol wrote:
I was a bit hasty posting this. I should have just tried it first, but it sounded really high to me because when I was on a traditional low fat high veggie carb diet, I had a hard time ever breaking 3500 calories.

I did my first day on the AD yesterday and found it to be easy to get my calories. I even had to have a lighter than normal dinner (1 chicken breast only) to not go too far over.

Here is the basics from my tracking my meals on fitday.com yesterday.

Total: 4726
grams cals %total
Fat: 331 2977 65%
Sat: 134 1206 26%
Poly: 21 188 4%
Mono: 84 758 16%
Carbs: 66 203 4%
Fiber:15 0 0%
Protein:359 1434 31%
Alcohol:0 0 0%

I went high on my carbs, I would have been a lot closer, but I had 10 OZ of milk which hurt bad, and the whey I currently am on has 4 grams per scoop (2 scoops per shake :frowning: ). I got some new low carb whey though so I should be able to stay under 30 grams carbs now I think.[/quote]

Cool. Check out the lower carb milk too if you want to keep that in the mix.

[quote]eengrms76 wrote:
scottiscool wrote:
You have to keep in mind the Anabolic Diet is written for bodybuilders(and powerlifters) so Dr. D is probably assuming the person is fairly lean to start. A 260 lb leanish offseason bodbuilder is a pretty big person and needs that much food, but if you are overweight you likely need much less. Figure out your lean body mass and base it off that perhaps.

He’s pretty adamant that during the break-in phase you go 18X bodyweight, not Lean Mass weight. If you’re using the AD for cutting, you then drop down to 12X BW during the week after your first carb feed. You need a serious influx of fat in the beginning to switch over your metabolism.

To the OP- the diet works. Don’t think you are smarter than the diet. You’re not.[/quote]

Yes, during the induction you need very high fat and very low carbs to force adaptation in the most efficient manner. DO NOT get creative for a good while on this diet and definitely not during the induction.

This is an honest question Trib, but do you think any adjustments should be made if a person is a very lean say 5’5 200 lbs or a very fat 5’5 200 lbs in terms of calories?