Starting a WB Program, ?'s

So, I found this basic program layout on a site and figured I’d give it a go. I really need to gain strength and up my lift numbers, as well as put on some size. I figured a PL type program would help me achieve both of these. I’ll post the program and then type out my questions at the end of my post. Thanks for any help!

'Day 1 - Max Effort (ME) squat/deadlift
Squat/deadlift/good morning - Using one of these exercises or a variation of them for no more than 3 consecutive weeks work up from a warm up in sets of 3 until 3 repetitions are no longer possible and switch to a single rep working up to 4 single repetitions of between 90-100% of your max.

Lower back work - Choose from glute-ham raises, reverse hyper-extensions, half deadlifts, Romanian deadlifts, stiff-legged deadlifts (SLDLs), hyper-extensions or cable pulls - 4 x 8-10 (weighted if need be to stay within rep range)

Abs - Any form of rectus abdominus work - 4 x 8-12

Lat work - Any form of upper back work such as wide grip chins, pull downs, barbell rows, cable rows - 4 x 8-10

Day 2- Max Effort (ME) Bench press
Bench Press of any of the above mentioned variations working from a triple to a single.

Tricep work - Any form of core strength tricep work such as close grip bench, JM presses, Tate presses, lying dumbbell extensions - 4 x 5-10
Cable pushdowns - A variety of cable attachments may be used (flat bar, V bar, rope) - 4 x 8-12

Shoulder work - choice of either lateral or front raises - 4 x 10-12

Lat work - as above - 4 x 8-10

Biceps - Pick any bicep exercise of your choice - 3 x 8-10

Day 3- Dynamic Effort (DE) Squat
Box squat 8-12 doubles with 45-65% of 1RM

Lower back work - as Day 1

Side bends (or variation of external oblique training) - 4 x 8-12

Neck work

Day 4- Dynamic Effort (DE) Bench press
Speed bench 8-10 triples with 45-46% 1 RM

Tricep work - as Day 2

Pushdowns - as Day 2

Lat work - as Day 1

Biceps - as Day 2 "

Questions:
#1. On monday which is squat/deadlift, it says to change the lift every 3 weeks. I’m confused. For a low body ME day, there aren’t many big lifts to choose from. Would I switch from squats for 3 weeks, then go to deadlift, and then back to squat? Argh?!!? Please help me, I’m sure this is a stupid question.

#2. On day 3 for DE squats, it says 8-12 doubles. What the hell are doubles? I’ve never heard of “doubles”, and I’ve been lifting/reading for years.

#3. For the assistance work, I choose one exercise from all the choices, correct?

That’s it, really appreciate any help I can get. Thanks

[quote]Inner Hulk wrote:
So, I found this basic program layout on a site and figured I’d give it a go. I really need to gain strength and up my lift numbers, as well as put on some size. I figured a PL type program would help me achieve both of these. I’ll post the program and then type out my questions at the end of my post. Thanks for any help!

'Day 1 - Max Effort (ME) squat/deadlift
Squat/deadlift/good morning - Using one of these exercises or a variation of them for no more than 3 consecutive weeks work up from a warm up in sets of 3 until 3 repetitions are no longer possible and switch to a single rep working up to 4 single repetitions of between 90-100% of your max.

Lower back work - Choose from glute-ham raises, reverse hyper-extensions, half deadlifts, Romanian deadlifts, stiff-legged deadlifts (SLDLs), hyper-extensions or cable pulls - 4 x 8-10 (weighted if need be to stay within rep range)

Abs - Any form of rectus abdominus work - 4 x 8-12

Lat work - Any form of upper back work such as wide grip chins, pull downs, barbell rows, cable rows - 4 x 8-10

Day 2- Max Effort (ME) Bench press
Bench Press of any of the above mentioned variations working from a triple to a single.

Tricep work - Any form of core strength tricep work such as close grip bench, JM presses, Tate presses, lying dumbbell extensions - 4 x 5-10
Cable pushdowns - A variety of cable attachments may be used (flat bar, V bar, rope) - 4 x 8-12

Shoulder work - choice of either lateral or front raises - 4 x 10-12

Lat work - as above - 4 x 8-10

Biceps - Pick any bicep exercise of your choice - 3 x 8-10

Day 3- Dynamic Effort (DE) Squat
Box squat 8-12 doubles with 45-65% of 1RM

Lower back work - as Day 1

Side bends (or variation of external oblique training) - 4 x 8-12

Neck work

Day 4- Dynamic Effort (DE) Bench press
Speed bench 8-10 triples with 45-46% 1 RM

Tricep work - as Day 2

Pushdowns - as Day 2

Lat work - as Day 1

Biceps - as Day 2 "

Questions:
#1. On monday which is squat/deadlift, it says to change the lift every 3 weeks. I’m confused. For a low body ME day, there aren’t many big lifts to choose from. Would I switch from squats for 3 weeks, then go to deadlift, and then back to squat? Argh?!!? Please help me, I’m sure this is a stupid question.

#2. On day 3 for DE squats, it says 8-12 doubles. What the hell are doubles? I’ve never heard of “doubles”, and I’ve been lifting/reading for years.

#3. For the assistance work, I choose one exercise from all the choices, correct?

That’s it, really appreciate any help I can get. Thanks[/quote]

1: Box squats (low/high/parrallel) 3 lifts
Dealifts (sumo, conventional, both of which could be done standind on a low box too, rack pulls from below, above or at the knees) 7 lifts
Full squats (low bar, hi bar, front squat) 3 lifts

That’s a total of 13 lifts to chose from. And that’s just off the top of my head with what the average gym would have. You can use all sorts of different bars (SSB, camber, buffalo etc) if available. Same with bands and chains.

2: Double = 2 reps

3: Pick one exercise for each bodypart listed. I don’t think it really matters. Just try and bump the weight up from week to week and change them every 4 or 5.

http://www.T-Nation.com/readArticle.do?id=459671
http://www.T-Nation.com/readArticle.do?id=459484
http://www.T-Nation.com/readArticle.do?id=459483

It sound to me like you don’t really understand the whole westside training template.

These are your bibles read then read again then repeat.