T Nation

Starting a Radio Show on Campus

I will be starting a radio show on campus that will consist primarily of soul, motown, and a little doo-wop. Sure, this may not appeal to the mass audience like today’s emo pussies do, but I think it will be a cool experience none the less. Do you guys have any ideas that I can incorporate into my show between songs,like gimick type stuff? Any suggestions are welcome and appreciated.

Don’t play obscure music just because it’s obscure (this is pretty much every radio show at my college, and they all suck), and try not to say anything unless you want to say the singer/name of the song. I’ve never heard a DJ who had anything worth saying.

bump

[quote]cap’nsalty wrote:
try not to say anything unless you want to say the singer/name of the song. I’ve never heard a DJ who had anything worth saying.[/quote]

Exactly. If the station is going to be a music one, and not talk oriented (which it shouldn’t be because most college kids don’t have anything insightful or interesting enough to say to justify not playing music), keep the dialogue to an absolute minimum- only your friends tune in to hear what you have to say, and even then only because they’re hoping for a shout out.

Assuming, of course, the people at your college actually listen to the campus radio stations, which, in my experience, would be a first.

[quote]cap’nsalty wrote:
Don’t play obscure music just because it’s obscure (this is pretty much every radio show at my college, and they all suck), and try not to say anything unless you want to say the singer/name of the song. I’ve never heard a DJ who had anything worth saying.[/quote]

Heh. The reason why I listen to my local station is because of the DJs. The reason why I sometimes turn on my mp3 player or switch to a different station is because some songs are overplayed. I really like it when they play songs that used to be popular. This could be because I never listened to them when they were out in the first place (I’m talking about 90s rock songs, and I’m only 20 now…)