Starting a Gym. What To Consider?

I was asked by some well-to-do friends last night about beginning a gym here in our local area. The town we live in itself has only around 3000 people, but it is basically a suburb of a large city of about 100,000. The business portion of an interstate highway begins and runs through our town and is a major thoroughfare for commuters in and out of the city everyday.

I know large commercial gyms could give a damn about the welfare of their members as long as they’re raking in the money and selling more memberships. I know they depend on people actually not showing up after their dues are paid. But this might also be a necessity to keep a gym running. I don’t know. It might be a double-edged sword.

I wonder if a personal fitness studio type of gym would fly or not. I’m not certified and I don’t have a degree, but I have years of personal experience. Not to mention the help and advice of others here on T-Nation! I don’t know if that would be enough to get liability insurance though.

Anyway, if anyone(trainers, current and former gym owners, etc.) has any important points to consider before dumping a ton a money in to something like this, please enlighten me. Thank you.

Hey FCFighter,

Here’s a thread by some T Nation Peeps a few months back with the same situation: http://www.t-nation.com/readTopic.do?id=496716

Hope this helps!

Thanks a million, Sancho!

Good Luck!!

FC,

Are you familiar with CrossFit?
      Setting up a CrossFit-style gym is much cheaper then setting up a normal gym, if you can find a clientele hard-core enough to support it.