Starting a Gym From Scratch

So…just found out that I’m being shipped someplace with absolutely nothing but tents and maybe port-a-johns. No gym. No dining facility. No nothing. So, me being me, the only thing I could think of as I was being briefed of the situation was, “where can I order gym equipment from?” With that question in mind, do any of you guys have any suggestions? Keep in mind I’ll be overseas (APO). Thanks.

This might be a ridiculous question, but is there craigslist where you’ll be?

[quote]WhiteFlash wrote:
This might be a ridiculous question, but is there craigslist where you’ll be?[/quote]

I laughed a bit at this. I don’t think it’d work in Afghanistan.

you’re gonna get taken to the cleaners in shipping. If you can, there are a few fitness facilities in Peshawar Pakistan and Parschinar, Pakistan…about 50 miles east of Kabul though I doubt that will be an option for you. Thats a pretty tribal area from what my uncle tells me so be careful. If you have no other option lift heavy stuff, strongman style, on your off time.

Yeah, I’ve thought about the shipping fees. I’m considering pitching a couple of ideas to the powers-that-be. One of which being using government funds to help boost morale. I’m going to have to go into research mode on that one. Pakistan is not an option at all. I couldn’t justify going outside the wire for 50 miles just to utilize a gym. I’d be shot on sight.

[quote]Beast27195 wrote:

[quote]WhiteFlash wrote:
This might be a ridiculous question, but is there craigslist where you’ll be?[/quote]

I laughed a bit at this. I don’t think it’d work in Afghanistan. [/quote]

Haha, sorry man. Worth a shot. Maybe if you found a European equipment manufacturer it’d be cheaper for shipping?

[quote]Beast27195 wrote:

[quote]WhiteFlash wrote:

I laughed a bit at this. I don’t think it’d work in Afghanistan. [/quote]

Rocks and maybe a log or two?

V

I would try to get it funded for morale purposes, I remember in Iraq my company carried a weight room with us for morale; wasn’t anything crazy, a couple of benches a squat rack, and some DBs but it was better than nothing. Talk to your 1SG or CSM, they might love the idea.

I certainly recommend following what the other guys said and try and arrange for your unit to bring equipment.
If that doesn’t work out then here are my suggestions.

Kettlebells are versatile and can be squeezed into deadspace on a palate or whatever shipping containers your likely to use, or a couple can fit inside your personal tough box or whatever you’re packing. Same with dumbbells.

Sand bags filled to a specific weight, say 10 or 20 lbs, can turn a duffel into a incrementally loadable implement. Pros: easy to pack and construct. Cons: Bags shifting around get bothersome and cinching up the duffel is a pain. They’ll wear out so bring replacement duffels and bags.

Also, gymnastic rings are an option. I’ve never played to much with them, but they might be useful for your situation.

You’ll probably have free time to get creative, I’d like to see what you come up with.

Yeah, I’m going to have a sit down with the command group regarding this. In the meantime, I’ll probably order some things for myself, kettlebells being just one option. Can’t really use the gymnastic rings, as I’ll have nothing to hang them from (tents).

The sandbags are an idea, however, if the sand is anything like it was in Iraq, it’ll be useless as it was more like dust or powder. I’ll definitely keep everyone informed as to what I come up with.

Please do. Be safe.