Starting a Garage Gym

What would you do? I’m thinking of buying some equipment so I can start training at home and saving me from dealing with crowded gyms and stuff. The problem is that I’m bound to move from here (This house or even this country) in any given moment. Since I’m an international student I might have to move to other place at some point in the future and I don’t know how practical it would be having to move a bunch of heavy iron with me or how easy it would be to sell it. Having said that, I think that the logical thing to do would be buying moderate quality or fairly cheap stuff. If you can throw in some website reccomendations to buy stuff, places or anything please do! :slight_smile:

If you have to move at short notice it might not be economically viable to buy average gear only to sell it at short notice too. Carting gear around would be a mega pain in the arse. Its unfortunate but id just keep sucking it up and going to your gym until you have a more stable living situation.

[quote]tunacake wrote:
The problem is that I’m bound to make my escape from here (This house or even this country) in any given moment. Since I’m an international hit man I might have to move to other place at some point in the future to evade INTERPOL and I don’t know how practical it would be having to move a bunch of heavy iron with me or how easy it would be to sell it. [/quote]

there I fixed it for you… your cover is safe here man…lol

IDK dude, Short of setting your shit up in the back of a truck Carnival style to hop from town to town, country to country at a moments notice, I don’t see this happening without huge complications and expense. I think you are just “in the suck” right now and you prolly need to just put up with the gym douchbaggery for the moment OR decide what level of complication you can live with.

For example, when I was transitioning to my garage gym I would do all the major stuff, IE squats, bench etc in my power rack then I would hop in the car and go to my gym, which was a 10 min drive away to do all my accessory stuff and maybe get some treadmill time in. That got old after a few months so I just broke down and bought a bunch of stuff for my gym. I’m not done but its a process that takes a while to get it right.

Good luck and hope this helps.

If you have money to burn, buy gear.
If not, deal with the gym fruits.

I can relate; I work right beside a gym and would get corporate rates there… but I still stick with training at home. Mainly to avoid gym fucktards and not be exposed to absolutely hideous music.

craigslist! I saw a high quality York squat stand go in my area for $30. If you are patient and haggle a bit, I think you could get a cheap bench, squat rack or cage, and a 300lb olympic set for $100. That, plus olympic db handles, a good pullup bar (if the rack doesn’t have one), and some bands would allow you to do a lot of exercises.

Then again, if you’re benching over 300 lbs and squatting over 400 or so you’d probably want better equipment. Once I move out, I’m getting a small gym setup like what I listed. It’s the same cost as a few months of gym membership, so selling it off for cheap even wouldn’t result in a loss.

[quote]StrengthDawg wrote:

[quote]tunacake wrote:
The problem is that I’m bound to make my escape from here (This house or even this country) in any given moment. Since I’m an international hit man I might have to move to other place at some point in the future to evade INTERPOL and I don’t know how practical it would be having to move a bunch of heavy iron with me or how easy it would be to sell it. [/quote]

there I fixed it for you… your cover is safe here man…lol

IDK dude, Short of setting your shit up in the back of a truck Carnival style to hop from town to town, country to country at a moments notice, I don’t see this happening without huge complications and expense. I think you are just “in the suck” right now and you prolly need to just put up with the gym douchbaggery for the moment OR decide what level of complication you can live with.

For example, when I was transitioning to my garage gym I would do all the major stuff, IE squats, bench etc in my power rack then I would hop in the car and go to my gym, which was a 10 min drive away to do all my accessory stuff and maybe get some treadmill time in. That got old after a few months so I just broke down and bought a bunch of stuff for my gym. I’m not done but its a process that takes a while to get it right.

Good luck and hope this helps.
[/quote]

hahahaha that was awesome! Well, yeah, I don’t have too much of a problem with people at gyms I just ignore how they act the whole time I’m there. My biggest problem is that sometimes there is people fucking around the squatting rack and I have to wait until they finish their 12 sets of curls or whatever they are doing, plus the music is always hideous!!! And also I’m an architecture student so sometimes I don’t have enough time to ride to the gym. If I can save those 30 minutes I spend on the car driving over there it would be much better for me. Anyways, its always good to hear from someone who has experience with this so thank you!

[quote]panzerfaust wrote:
If you have money to burn, buy gear.
If not, deal with the gym fruits.

I can relate; I work right beside a gym and would get corporate rates there… but I still stick with training at home. Mainly to avoid gym fucktards and not be exposed to absolutely hideous music.[/quote]

Exactly! Music is always shit at commercial gyms! That is one of the reasons I dream of having a garage gym plus not having to wait to get my lifts done.

[quote]browndisaster wrote:
craigslist! I saw a high quality York squat stand go in my area for $30. If you are patient and haggle a bit, I think you could get a cheap bench, squat rack or cage, and a 300lb olympic set for $100. That, plus olympic db handles, a good pullup bar (if the rack doesn’t have one), and some bands would allow you to do a lot of exercises.

Then again, if you’re benching over 300 lbs and squatting over 400 or so you’d probably want better equipment. Once I move out, I’m getting a small gym setup like what I listed. It’s the same cost as a few months of gym membership, so selling it off for cheap even wouldn’t result in a loss.[/quote]

I actually like craiglist a lot! I hope I can find something worth using around here… Saving some bucks would be nice plus I wouldn’t have to wait around for packaging and all that stuff.

Dude, Half the time at my home gym the music sucks…lol. Some days I just can’t decide what I want to listen too. I sometimes spend too much time effing with the iphone to find that “perfect song”. Yeah I’m fucked up but the point is no matter where we lift at, shit will piss us off. Hell even at ‘my gym’ I have people doing shit in the squat rack lol.

I can’t count the times I’ll be squatting or whatever in my power rack and the wife comes out in between my sets to do some pull ups on the pull up bar… or I’ll need a green band to do DE Squats,then I spend 10min looking for it because she stole it to do some shit with it. Don’t get me wrong, home gyms are great but we have issues too, or at least I do lol.