Starting a 15 Week Cut Monday

Hi guys, I am 230lbs at 5’7" with 30% body fat. I want to do a show in 3 weeks…for the experience. I have some questions about posing. Any input?

[quote]Blaze_108 wrote:

[quote]Professor X wrote:

[quote]Blaze_108 wrote:

Have you seen the pics from sloh’s thread? His stats are around what this guy’s contest goal is and he looks really solid at this point. [/quote]

?

Sloh isn’t 5’9". Why do some of you ignore height?[/quote]

Ah. I must have been thinking of someone else. I wasn’t ignoring height, I really thought sloh was 5’9". I wouldn’t just compare two people with a 3" difference in height usually. Should have checked his height before posting that. My bad.[/quote]

That’s the point. Most of you seem to lack the ability to conceptualize what a certain weight could look like at a certain height.

This guy is 5’9 173 right now BEFORE DIETING. he would only be impressive if he was damn near contest ready right now. Instead, he plans to spend 15 weeks (nearly FOUR MONTHS) dropping weight to be stage ready. Why waste the time doing that and making ZERO progress during that time and actually going backwards when you already know he needs more size on him and the age at which he can make the most gains isn’t going to last forever?

5’6 and 150 on stage is WAAAAAAY different than 5’9" on stage at about the same weight or less.

I’m 5’10". When I only weighed 175, there is no way in hell I would have thought I was ready for competition…and I worked up to that from 150.

[quote]Teddy057 wrote:
It sounds like you all should start a petition to remove the Lightweight division. Yeah, 145-154.5 isn’t much weight. But, I want to do a show, and then build back up. What’s the worst that can happen? [/quote]

Your ears will catch a mild gust of wind and your head will blow off your neck

[quote]LiquidMercury wrote:

[quote]Teddy057 wrote:
Liquid, I’m just curious but have you ever done a show? Why am I doing a show? Because, I want to. Are you saying the Lightweight division is only for people under let’s say 5’5? I picked the lightweight division because that’s where I would feel the most comfortable. [/quote]

No I have no intention of doing so. That being said I’ve trained people who have, and helped with their nutrition. If you’re already planning on losing 25 lbs in a cut, and at 5’9" (my height) I am just imagining what you’d look like at 154 lbs. I know I personally would look sickly and not like I should be stepping on stage.

[/quote]
I think he’s talking about doing a tv show. Auschwitz Idol.

(jokes, relax people, Happy Hannuka)

[quote]BONEZ217 wrote:

[quote]LiquidMercury wrote:

[quote]Teddy057 wrote:
Liquid, I’m just curious but have you ever done a show? Why am I doing a show? Because, I want to. Are you saying the Lightweight division is only for people under let’s say 5’5? I picked the lightweight division because that’s where I would feel the most comfortable. [/quote]

No I have no intention of doing so. That being said I’ve trained people who have, and helped with their nutrition. If you’re already planning on losing 25 lbs in a cut, and at 5’9" (my height) I am just imagining what you’d look like at 154 lbs. I know I personally would look sickly and not like I should be stepping on stage.

[/quote]
I think he’s talking about doing a tv show. Auschwitz Idol.

(jokes, relax people, Happy Hannuka)[/quote]

haha one of the few times i’ve been sitting at my computer and laughed out loud. perhaps i’m going to hell. thank god i don’t believe in such a place… too bad i don’t believe in god either. hmm…

back on topic though, i don’t know what’s so bad about just going for it. obviously OP is here for some input and people’s opinions, and it’s great when people provide that. i personally think that cutting that much weight (given his height and initial weight) might not provide an ideal end result, but again… what’s the harm in doing it?

as for what can be learned, i mean, sure people can try lecturing others about the best way to do something etc… but for some people the best way to actually learn something is to actually do it. if he looks like shit and does poorly or somehow does well, either way i’m sure he’ll have picked up things along the way. he’ll probably say to himself “oh yeah. the T-Nation people were right about ”. but at least at that point he’ll actually know. hopefully…?

(just a reminder, i don’t know anything about competing. i have no idea what kind of shape OP is in, what he looks like now, or any idea what he’d look like aside from thin after he cuts. i do know from personal experience that i learn best by doing stuff on my own, and almost always say that i should have listened to someone else. but at least i learned! :slight_smile: )

[quote]Cozzy wrote:
back on topic though, i don’t know what’s so bad about just going for it. obviously OP is here for some input and people’s opinions, and it’s great when people provide that. i personally think that cutting that much weight (given his height and initial weight) might not provide an ideal end result, but again… what’s the harm in doing it?

as for what can be learned, i mean, sure people can try lecturing others about the best way to do something etc… but for some people the best way to actually learn something is to actually do it. if he looks like shit and does poorly or somehow does well, either way i’m sure he’ll have picked up things along the way. he’ll probably say to himself “oh yeah. the T-Nation people were right about ”. but at least at that point he’ll actually know. hopefully…?

(just a reminder, i don’t know anything about competing. i have no idea what kind of shape OP is in, what he looks like now, or any idea what he’d look like aside from thin after he cuts. i do know from personal experience that i learn best by doing stuff on my own, and almost always say that i should have listened to someone else. but at least i learned! :slight_smile: )[/quote]

I think it is pretty evident that you don’t follow this much.

This was written on the previous page,:

Your advice would be the same?

yeah, i’m pretty sure i added a little bit to the end of my post there that said i don’t know anything about competing?

all that i was trying to convey was that if you’re interested in something and want to learn about it, then try it out. i didn’t say at any point that i think he would or would not do well lol i don’t think anyone learns from being perfect or doing things right all the time, so if it’s for the sake of just learning, then i can’t see what’s wrong with it.

as for the 230 5’ 7" 30% BF thing… i’m making the assumption here that you’re trying to break my reasoning, but it still applies, i’d say. it might be embarrassing and that individual might (okay, basically guaranteed to) do poorly, but if you’re trying to learn i can’t see a better way then just doing it.

again, in either case (OP’s or your hypothetical scenario) i would only suggest they actually go ahead with it if it’s strictly a learning experience. that’s all lol i’ll try to restrict my input until i get my post count up.

[quote]Blaze_108 wrote:

[quote]Blaze_108 wrote:

Have you seen the pics from sloh’s thread? His stats are around what this guy’s contest goal is and he looks really solid at this point. [/quote]

?

Sloh isn’t 5’9". Why do some of you ignore height?[/quote]

Ah. I must have been thinking of someone else. I wasn’t ignoring height, I really thought sloh was 5’9". I wouldn’t just compare two people with a 3" difference in height usually. Should have checked his height before posting that. My bad.[/quote]

That’s the point. Most of you seem to lack the ability to conceptualize what a certain weight could look like at a certain height.

This guy is 5’9 173 right now BEFORE DIETING. he would only be impressive if he was damn near contest ready right now. Instead, he plans to spend 15 weeks (nearly FOUR MONTHS) dropping weight to be stage ready. Why waste the time doing that and making ZERO progress during that time and actually going backwards when you already know he needs more size on him and the age at which he can make the most gains isn’t going to last forever?

5’6 and 150 on stage is WAAAAAAY different than 5’9" on stage at about the same weight or less.

I’m 5’10". When I only weighed 175, there is no way in hell I would have thought I was ready for competition…and I worked up to that from 150.[/quote]

I aknowledged that I made a mistake. I thought sloh was 5’9" when he was really 5’5". Should I have thought more about what that weight at that height would look like? Yes.

However, as I already thought sloh looked like that at that weight, it seemed like a good example of when someone can actually look good at a lower weight.

I wasn’t ready for competition at 175 either, and I started at 5’11 and 130, so I do know what bodyweights in that range look like.

Why does anyone give a shit whether he does the show or not? Unless he wants to go undefeated from his first show who gives a fuck how well he does?

If he does the show he WILL learn things he wouldn’t know and it may provide some motivation for his next show. On the other hand, he could get so embarrassed that he never picks up a weight again. In either case who cares?

[quote]dnlcdstn wrote:
Why does anyone give a shit whether he does the show or not? Unless he wants to go undefeated from his first show who gives a fuck how well he does?

If he does the show he WILL learn things he wouldn’t know and it may provide some motivation for his next show. On the other hand, he could get so embarrassed that he never picks up a weight again. In either case who cares? [/quote]

How about the people who go to those shows? I have seen it in person. It is greatly pathetic when someone completely underdeveloped jumps on stage during a competition where other competitors actually take it seriously. if that person is handicapped, it is a different story altogether.

Yes, that means in essence, I believe people jumping on stage before they are ready do nothing but decrease the legitimacy of the comp itself.

Also, you will NOT find that in any other activity. Does anyone have any video of a skinny 130lbs guy jumping into a heavy weight powerlifting comp “for the experience”?

[quote]Cozzy wrote:
yeah, i’m pretty sure i added a little bit to the end of my post there that said i don’t know anything about competing?
[/quote]

then why are you commenting on it and arguing with people who DO know about competing?

Does anyone even know what show he’s doing? What if it’s a local show that has 10 other people who look like the OP competing? People act like he’s competing against Mr. Olympia or something.

I’m not going to look like Gina Aliotti in July, but I did my research and saw past winners of the show I’m competing in and concluded that I won’t be laughed off the stage. Maybe the OP also took into account past competitors and felt like he can at least hold a candle to them.

[quote]Nikki9591 wrote:
Does anyone even know what show he’s doing? What if it’s a local show that has 10 other people who look like the OP competing? People act like he’s competing against Mr. Olympia or something.

I’m not going to look like Gina Aliotti in July, but I did my research and saw past winners of the show I’m competing in and concluded that I won’t be laughed off the stage. Maybe the OP also took into account past competitors and felt like he can at least hold a candle to them.[/quote]

Have you checked a mirror lately? Your lower body alone looks like you have out some years into this even if you haven’t. That is a far cry from someone skinny who will look like a starving serial killer victim locked in a basement on stage.

It takes YEARS for even genetically blessed people to reach the point where they are competition ready unless they are a genetics freak from day one.

5’9 and 175 doesn’t sound like a freak.

[quote]Nikki9591 wrote:
People act like he’s competing against Mr. Olympia or something…[/quote]

If youre not competing against Mr. Olympia himself… its not worth competing at all Nikki! :slight_smile:

Also, for a woman, 170lbs may sound HUGE. That is average weight for a man that tall…and he is about to diet down for 4 months.

Personally I wouldn’t compete unless if I felt I had a great shot at winning. For your height I would compete at middleweight for your first competition which I believe is in the 160-176 range. You wouldn’t look like you worked out at 150 pounds.

[quote]Nikki9591 wrote:

I’m not going to look like Gina Aliotti in July, but I did my research and saw past winners of the show I’m competing in and concluded that I won’t be laughed off the stage. Maybe the OP also took into account past competitors and felt like he can at least hold a candle to them.[/quote]

Have you checked a mirror lately? Your lower body alone looks like you have out some years into this even if you haven’t. [/quote]

I like you.

Deuces OP!

170 pounds is NOT huge to me. 230+ lbs and/or 10 inches is huge to me.