Starting 5/3/1

Jim,

I’ve been recommended your program through multiple people and I really like the look of simplicity and at the same time the difficulty of the lifts. Over the last month I have been progressively stressing and adapting my muscles to work loads (volume about the same as BBB), but didn’t have a setup I could settle in to.

I’m a 6’1", 165 pound, 21-year-old looking to gain 20 lbs. over the next 6 months. I understand to gain size, I’m also going to need to get stronger an your program does that. I also understand that someone like me won’t make a single gain if I’m not on top of my calorie intake. I plan on 4,000 calories (half coming in form of carbohydrates) and 250g of protein/day.

Which of your templates would you recommend for me?

Should I perform warm-up sets for the 5/3/1 lift of the day?

How should I increase intensity in both 5/3/1 and in the assistance work?

Any guidance would be awesome. Thanks man.

1. 5’s PRO and 5’s Pro with PR sets (switch) + 5x5 FSL
  2. That is in the book.
  3. That is in the book.

Did some research, I understand the progression of intensity week to week now.

What does the 5’s PRO and 5x5 FSL templates look like?

5’s PRO is the 5’s progression. You follow the same percentage progression but instead of a 5, 3, and 5/3/1 week you just do 5 reps across the board.
FSL is “first set last.” Just drop the weight back to your first work set of the day and do 5x5
Both of these are in the Beyond 5/3/1 book as well.

I want to bench, press, squat and deadlift 2x/week. I can tell deads will be tough to recover from so 2x a week might be a stretch. With a 5’s PRO + FSL, how should I lay out my week?

WHY DOES NO ONE BUY THE BOOK???

I bought the book. Still think the original 5/3/1 was the best program I ever did.

[quote]kingbrady wrote:
I want to bench, press, squat and deadlift 2x/week. I can tell deads will be tough to recover from so 2x a week might be a stretch. With a 5’s PRO + FSL, how should I lay out my week? [/quote]

Then do a program that has all those in it - But if you want to do the 531 program, do the program as shown/written in the book. Once you have the principles down, do what you want. But there is a reason why EVERYONE that trains in my weight room gets stronger. It’s because we follow basic templates and principles.