Starting 5/3/1

I have my spreadsheet filled out, lasting until the first week of September but just wanted to double check a few things before I start tomorrow. Mine is set up Mon.squat Wed. bench Fri. dead & push press

1. How much leg assistance should I do on Monday since my legs are my weak point

2. Until my back is better ( I’d day about a month from now ) I’m not deadlifting or squatting but I have lunges, split squats, and possibly front squats. Sound good?

3. I have a few variations I put in there just to avoid any sticking points. About once a month I put in box squat, deadlift off box, 2 board bench, and bench with chains.

4. I got paid for a carpeting job so I’m probably going to invest in the slingshot. How often should I use that during the program? If I see good results by the time my spreadsheet ends in September I’m going to use it for a long time.

5. I was reading the basic workout on MensFitness because that explained it the easiest way possible. It said to add 5lb on bench and OH and 10 on dead & squat. Should you add that to my 1rm already ( 275,315,365,175 ) or at the end of each cycle, max out the 4 lifts then use the percentage from there?

1. The book has multiple recommendations for assistance templates. It is $20. Go buy it.
  2. No you are not running 531
  3. No you are not running 531
  4. No you are not running 531 (unless you use it for assistance)
  5. The book is $20. Go buy it.

That isn’t 531. Buy 531 for Powerlifting, read it, come back.

fuck. that spreadsheet took me like an hour. The page on it that I read looked like this
3x5 ( 65%,75%,85% )
3x3 ( 70%,80%,90% )
5/3/1 ( 75% 85% 95% )
then 40/50/60 for deload

and I just added those variations I knew they weren’t actually in the workout

531 is more than a prescribed set and rep scheme.
Buy either 531 or 531 for powerlifting, read it 3 times (I reread both regularly), look at yourself and your goals realistically, write them down on paper (it is easier to fight an enemy you can see) and plan it out accordingly.

There are no shortcuts in powerlifting. If it means anything to you, get $20, buy the book, and do it right.

Eat. Sleep. Mate. Defend.

If your not doing standard squat and deadlifts just don’t do 5/3/1 until you are able to do it exactly as written. Any advice for workarounds at your point is bad advice.

Yeah I couldn’t go into the gym right now and squat or deadlift at 100%. I’ll buy the book tomorrow. I think I heard that the book comes with the workout is that true? If not where could I find it because I’ve seen a lot of bull shit versions ( like the one I typed up on a spreadsheet for 1 hour )

[quote]Mike__Madden wrote:
Yeah I couldn’t go into the gym right now and squat or deadlift at 100%. I’ll buy the book tomorrow. I think I heard that the book comes with the workout is that true? If not where could I find it because I’ve seen a lot of bull shit versions ( like the one I typed up on a spreadsheet for 1 hour )[/quote]

The book IS the workout. You’ll be good.

You can substitute single leg bosu cable kickbacks for both squat and deads. I use chains on these sometimes but prefer reverse bands with a three board.

[quote]Waylon wrote:
You can substitute single leg bosu cable kickbacks for both squat and deads. I use chains on these sometimes but prefer reverse bands with a three board.[/quote]

Did you feel this was a helpful post for the topic creator and would better him as a powerlifter?

Yeah I couldn’t go into the gym right now and squat or deadlift at 100%. I’ll buy the book tomorrow. I think I heard that the book comes with the workout is that true? If not where could I find it because I’ve seen a lot of bull shit versions ( like the one I typed up on a spreadsheet for 1 hour )[/quote]

Get the e-book from EliteFTS and read that sucker front to back a few times. I say the e-book over the hard copy since you can just put it onto a thumb drive and take it with you everywhere.

Also, have you gone to see a real doctor yet about your back? The last I remember is your acupuncturist thought you might have a herniated disc.

Don’t bother with the slingshot, not yet anyway. When you’re healthy and cleared by a doctor, run 5/3/1 doing raw lifts and then reconsider the slingshot after you’ve made some progress.

" Did you feel this was a helpful post for the topic creator and would better him as a powerlifter?"

Take yourself too seriously much? A little “ribbing” isn’t going to hurt the kid, and yes it just might do him a little good. Really after VT’s post there wasn’t much more to say, just giving him a hard time.

[quote]Waylon wrote:
Really after VT’s post there wasn’t much more to say.[/quote]

Then why say anything?

I guess I just don’t see the need for an adult to pick on a 16 year old kid who is trying to get started in the sport.

[quote]Sancho2812 wrote:

Get the e-book from EliteFTS and read that sucker front to back a few times. I say the e-book over the hard copy since you can just put it onto a thumb drive and take it with you everywhere.

Also, have you gone to see a real doctor yet about your back? The last I remember is your acupuncturist thought you might have a herniated disc.

Don’t bother with the slingshot, not yet anyway. When you’re healthy and cleared by a doctor, run 5/3/1 doing raw lifts and then reconsider the slingshot after you’ve made some progress.[/quote]
Alright I’ll check that out after school, and nope my bitch doctor said in August when I first reported sciatic pain, she said I never said anything about it so I got denied for a MRI. It’s fine though my sciatic pain is almost non existent and was doing no weight front squats to see how it felt and there was no pain. It’s a real bitch being out of the squat rack I miss it, never thought I would say that lol

If you have a kindle or a kindle app on a mobile device, you can get the kindle version of 5/3/1 on Amazon for $9.99. It’s a really good way to spend $10.

because of back issues I started 5/3/1 with bench and overhead press only after 2 months i started squating and deadlifting. But the program is great get the book and train.

Beware of Kindle versions. The Juggernaut Method on Kindle has been converted with no checking whatsoever, rendering it virtually unreadable. I’m sure JW has not allowed the same thing to happen to his book, but just be aware.

[quote]The_Swede wrote:
Beware of Kindle versions. The Juggernaut Method on Kindle has been converted with no checking whatsoever, rendering it virtually unreadable. I’m sure JW has not allowed the same thing to happen to his book, but just be aware.[/quote]

5/3/1 is actually the first book that I have read on Kindle. It’s completely readable (at least through the iPod Kindle App). I don’t own another version of 5/3/1 so I can’t vouch for nothing being left out but it seems complete with pictures and percentage tables at the end (not that those are incredibly important but they’re the kind of things I would expect to be left out if they were cutting corners).

Good to hear. It’s the tables and percentages that are the most unreadable parts of TJM.