Starting 5/3/1, Can't Even Handle Bodyweight?

[quote]Perlenbacher15 wrote:
Hi guys,

I am just starting to get fit having not done anything in years, down to injuries (no longer a problem) and after that if I am being honest with myself not respecting myself and letting my body and attitude go to shit.

I had a sudden feeling of momentum a few weeks ago and simply picked up my trainers and a hoody and went running. It took me an hour to do 3 miles.

The day after I got my pullup bar, situp bench and cleared the floor for pressups. I managed zero pullups, 1 pressup and 8 situps.

3 weeks later I have been eating more sensibly and running and doing some bodweight stuff, which now stands at

3 mile run - 30 minutes
strict pressups - 10
situps - 20
pullups - 0

So still shit but a work in progress.

Working on myself has made me think about things and I have been to my AFCO, I am in my early 20’s and want to make something of myself and figured a great way would be serving my country.

Anyway a few days ago I saw someone on a military forum (for potential recruits to ask questions about the training, daily life, talk to each other etc) talking about how he does something called 5/3/1.

Turns out he is already in the forces though and when I asked about advice for someone in my situation, he basically indicated that He does not feel qualified to offer specific lifting advice but did say that he thinks the old advice of just run and do chinups is not great and that most current royal marines do not do things that way anymore and that the site only recommends that to avoid lawsuits from idiots who hurt themselves.

He pointed out that jim posts on this site and has his own forum so I thought I would ask the man himself.

TLDR;

Would you recommend 5/3/1 to someone who can barely do 10 pressups and no chinups? Should people that weak/fat and heavy even be lifting weights?

PS.

Ordered your book from Amazon, if I shouldn’t do it now at least I will have it for later on :slight_smile:

Thanks in advance.

[/quote]

In general I recommend:

1.Pick any basic template. Use the one YOU want to do and the one that is interesting to you.
2. Do the main work and 3x5-8 of FSL
3. Assistance - do fat man rows, incline push-ups, sit-ups, back raises and other body weight movements. Shoot for a total reps goal for each movement you choose, for each workout.
4. For running, use a variety of distances and do this after you train. You don’t train for a X mile test by just running X miles everytime. Just use common sense and chart/record each day.

Don’t overthink training - you don’t need anything fancy. People like to over sexify their training because they believe their needs are different than anyone else. You are starting off with a low training age, so get the basics down first, namely being consistent and doing good work, consistently. You can worry about the details next decade - Zercher squats and supra-maximal deadlifts with bands, against hands off pins while on blocks. Let’s get a strong base first. And that includes developing the habit of giving great effort.

OP – you posted here, one would assume, to get advice because you are not knowledgeable on the subject at hand. Then when when people start giving you advice you argue with them and say you already have a plan. That is odd. You’ve made a few totally incorrect statements about strength and fat loss and linear progression, and some of the posters above have tried to educate you, but I don’t think you’ve quite gotten the point yet, which is the reason for this post.

It is downright comical you say linear progression is only for young people (false), especially because you yourself are in your early twenties (hint: THAT IS YOUNG). A friend of mine who I’m training is 29 years old, smoker, untrained skinny-fat non-athlete and he added 100 lbs to his squat in under a month on linear progression (85x5 to 185x5), doing conditioning work 3x / week on top of the lifting.

In any case…

The actual training then consists of 32 weeks of training with speed marches of up to 20 miles, regular rucking and running, commando assault courses, weeks out in the field, 30 mile marhces over dartmoor etc. [/quote]

Given that this is over a year away, the best favor you could do yourself is to focus on strength, now. A stronger guy is going to have an easier time rucking with heavy gear than a weak guy, even if the weak guy can run a faster 5 miles. Conditioning can be improved relatively quickly – strength takes longer, and is a more enduring adaptation.

So I am calculating I will be focusing purely on weight loss for at least 15 weeks.
[/quote]

That is 15 wasted weeks. 15 weeks where you could be getting stronger, while still losing fat and improving conditioning.

You’re going to do what you’re going to do, but I suggest you follow Jim’s advice above and start lifting NOW.

I thought I would update you guys on the situation. I grew a pair and committed to something.

Rang the gym around 5 miles from my house, has swimming pools, squat rack which is unadjustable so just for squats, has a bench press no safety bars but I would imagine that would be ok as I won’t be handling weight too heavy using 5/3/1, especially starting light.

I am going down tomorrow to pay my membership for a year in full. Also buying a bike to get there and to work, save money on transport and gets me more active.

I am also taking the advice to focus on training hard rather than calorie counting, which to be honest always makes me feel exhausted and demotivated.

I will be taking Jim’s advice and doing a 4 day 5/3.1 routine with conditioning afterwards and will probably be going swimming on the days in between.

I am giving myself 2 years to get ready for the marines, I am going to start a log on here. This gives me time to get truly ready seeing how badly out of shape I am and also gives me time to deal with things i need to sort out before joining.

I will be posting videos of my form in the training log so if you guys want to offer some help for a new guy, it would be very welcome.

Thanks guys!

Boom! Member of a gym.

I am going to be testing my max lifts on paused back squat (using high bar), bench, overhead press and deadlift.

In the book jim recommends weightlifting shoes, my mate has some he used before he joins the forces and said I can have them if I want, he is my size so I may go and pick them up before I go to the gym.

Do you wear them for all the exercises or do you only wear them for squats?

Boom! Member of a gym.

I am going to be testing my max lifts on paused back squat (using high bar), bench, overhead press and deadlift.

In the book jim recommends weightlifting shoes, my mate has some he used before he joins the forces and said I can have them if I want, he is my size so I may go and pick them up before I go to the gym.

Do you wear them for all the exercises or do you only wear them for squats? [/quote]

Good on you man.

By weightligting shoes I assume you mean actual weightlifting shoes, like Romaleos? I wear mine for everything except conditioning. If they’re free then go for it. Otherwise a cheap pair of Chucks will do you just fine for lifting.

[quote]usmccds423 wrote:

Boom! Member of a gym.

Do you wear them for all the exercises or do you only wear them for squats? [/quote]

Good on you man.

By weightligting shoes I assume you mean actual weightlifting shoes, like Romaleos? I wear mine for everything except conditioning. If they’re free then go for it. Otherwise a cheap pair of Chucks will do you just fine for lifting.

[/quote]

They are apparently addidas, they have a big heel on them and look like bowling shoes. He said I can just go and pick them up at his parents house. I am not buying a belt or any other equipment like gloves or wraps.

I don’t really have the money and I doubt someone needs one as a beginner.

[quote]usmccds423 wrote:

Boom! Member of a gym.

Good on you man.

[/quote]

They are apparently addidas, they have a big heel on them and look like bowling shoes. He said I can just go and pick them up at his parents house. I am not buying a belt or any other equipment like gloves or wraps.

I don’t really have the money and I doubt someone needs one as a beginner.

[/quote]

Gotcha, ya they sound like Oly shoes. They’ll be fine to train in. You’ll be fine without the other stuff as well. Some gyms even have community belts if you need one.

Those are the shoes.

^^

Ya they look like oly shoes, nice ones too. They look like Adidas PowerLift Trainers. I could be wrong though.

Don’t run or jump in these (well, not frequently). Also, only put then on at the gym. First pair I got, I put on at home and the walkk to the car and back ate away the sole over time - which really grip the floor

With the Oly shoes, squat and press in them. You can deadlift in them if you want - some people do, some don’t. They are certainly better than wearing “cross trainers”. At the end of the day, what you pull will be determined by your strength, not your footwear.

I have those exact same shoes. I squat and overhead press in them but I deadlift in socks. Like others have said don’t wear them outside the gym. The soles are very grippy but the rubber is thin so you don’t want to wear them out prematurely.

[quote]usmccds423 wrote:
Ya they look like oly shoes, nice ones too. They look like Adidas PowerLift Trainers. I could be wrong though. [/quote]

Power Perfect II. Way better shoe than the Powerlift Trainers.

[quote]Ramo wrote:

[quote]usmccds423 wrote:
Ya they look like oly shoes, nice ones too. They look like Adidas PowerLift Trainers. I could be wrong though. [/quote]

Power Perfect II. Way better shoe than the Powerlift Trainers. [/quote]

Gotcha, I just Googled it and saw Power Lift’s that looked close. I’ve got a set of Romaloes.

OP like Jim mentioned deadlifting in them is a little different because of the raised heel. I deadlift in mine and it’s been fine. Might take some getting use to though.

[quote]usmccds423 wrote:

[quote]Ramo wrote:

[quote]usmccds423 wrote:

Gotcha, I just Googled it and saw Power Lift’s that looked close. I’ve got a set of Romaloes.

OP like Jim mentioned deadlifting in them is a little different because of the raised heel. I deadlift in mine and it’s been fine. Might take some getting use to though.

[/quote]

Most of the people in the gym seem to deadlift in their socks. Do you feel like the weightlifting shoe offers any benefit over wearing regular flat trainers? Because 5/3/1 has a deadlift day squat day etc I could just wear the weightlifting shoes on the non deadlift days and go in my cargos and vans for deadlift day.

Went to the gym today and really enjoyed it, I am starting the 5/3/1 cycle on monday, using these few days to get my form down and what not.

I am wearing compression tights, those god awful weightlifting shoes and a very very baggy black sabbath tshirt. I look like a complete twat but I tried squatting in my shorts and they felt so constricting and I couldn’t really push my knees out as easily.

I am the type of guy who wear the bumbag and takes the hit of repulsing girls in the name of being comfortable. I am going to take a picture and use it as my avatar on here so everyone knows never to take me seriously.

[quote]usmccds423 wrote:

[quote]Ramo wrote:

[quote]usmccds423 wrote:

[/quote]

Most of the people in the gym seem to deadlift in their socks. Do you feel like the weightlifting shoe offers any benefit over wearing regular flat trainers? Because 5/3/1 has a deadlift day squat day etc I could just wear the weightlifting shoes on the non deadlift days and go in my cargos and vans for deadlift day.

[/quote]

No I don’t think they offer any benefit when deadlifting. I more or less just where them because I lift in my garage and it’s cold as shit in there right now… A lot of people like to deadlift is socks so I’d say go for it if that’s what you want to do.

I prefer to squat in Oly shoes personally, but I also high bar squat with a pretty narrow stance. I’d say figure out what your preference is and then just go with that. You could just wear the Oly shoes on squat day if you prefer it.

[quote]usmccds423 wrote:

[quote]usmccds423 wrote:

[quote]Ramo wrote:

[quote]usmccds423 wrote:

[/quote]

[/quote]

No I don’t think they offer any benefit when deadlifting. I more or less just where them because I lift in my garage and it’s cold as shit in there right now… A lot of people like to deadlift is socks so I’d say go for it if that’s what you want to do.

I prefer to squat in Oly shoes personally, but I also high bar squat with a pretty narrow stance. I’d say figure out what your preference is and then just go with that. You could just wear the Oly shoes on squat day if you prefer it. [/quote]

Thanks for the advice. My squat is about shoulder width toes slighly pointed out. I can’t do a low bar comfortably.

I will be using the shoes probably just for squat day, will change them with the vans see which I prefer.

Has anyone done 531 as a beginner as their first program? I just looked at the progression rate each month for 2 years of training and my lifts would look like this (I am starting light as jim suggests, then taking 90% of that for my training max):

Bench press - 60kg - 120kg
Military press - 45kg - 105kg
Deadlift - 100kg - 220kg
Squat - 70kg - 190kg

So converted that would be

Bench press - 264lbs
Military press - 231lbs
Deadlift - 485lbs
Squat - 418lbs

If I eat lots of food, get 8 hours a night, work on my mobility etc I think I could go without stalling for the whole 24 months, seeing as my numbers are starting so low. Has anyone gone that long before stalling?