Started Working Out, Lost Appetite

I usually do a 3-4 day a week workout and loosely adhere to a personal variation of T-dawg 2.0. This semester got a little too busy to maintain my regular workout schedule, so I dropped it for a few months. I’m back on the workout now for about two weeks, and for this beginning period I haven’t been focusing too much on getting enough calories, I guess because I wanted to get 2-3 weeks under my belt to “warm up” before really buckling down again on getting enough calories.

Strangely, for the last few weeks I have had zero appetite. While before I would normally wake up, be pretty hungry and have a big breakfast, then another 4-5 meals throughout the day, for the past two weeks I’ve been waking up, not getting remotely hungry until late lunchtime, having a tiny lunch (some almonds and an apple), a serving of Surge PWO, and having a modestly sized dinner. I am now at my all time lowest weight (158) after being 175-185 for the last ten years.

Kinda freakin’ me out. What is going on with my metabolism to allow for this lack of hunger? As an added bonus, I don’t think I’ve ever been this cut. But just kinda wondering about the metabolism thing, and what it means scientifically.

[quote]pr0crastin8r wrote:
I usually do a 3-4 day a week workout and loosely adhere to a personal variation of T-dawg 2.0. This semester got a little too busy to maintain my regular workout schedule, so I dropped it for a few months. I’m back on the workout now for about two weeks, and for this beginning period I haven’t been focusing too much on getting enough calories, I guess because I wanted to get 2-3 weeks under my belt to “warm up” before really buckling down again on getting enough calories. Strangely, for the last few weeks I have had zero appetite. While before I would normally wake up, be pretty hungry and have a big breakfast, then another 4-5 meals throughout the day, for the past two weeks I’ve been waking up, not getting remotely hungry until late lunchtime, having a tiny lunch (some almonds and an apple), a serving of Surge PWO, and having a modestly sized dinner. I am now at my all time lowest weight (158) after being 175-185 for the last ten years.

Kinda freakin’ me out. What is going on with my metabolism to allow for this lack of hunger? As an added bonus, I don’t think I’ve ever been this cut. But just kinda wondering about the metabolism thing, and what it means scientifically.[/quote]

Hunger is not controlled by your metabolism. The hunger and thirst and many other body function mechanisms are controlled by your hypothalamus.

[quote]Serd wrote:
Hunger is not controlled by your metabolism. The hunger and thirst and many other body function mechanisms are controlled by your hypothalamus.
[/quote]

Please think about what you just wrote.

To the OP -

Just to clarify: You used to workout and have a decent appetite, but then you stopped training (and presumably ate less) and now you are back into training but have a suppressed appetite?

If this is all correct^ it’s most likely that you’ve simply adapted to eating less over time. If you start eating by the clock (and not by your hunger) for a couple of weeks then I should think your appetite would improve a lot.

Hope this helps

you should always try to eat a decent breakfast upon waking up, hungry or not

Try doing some cardio. That always get me hungry a few hours afterwards.

Make your breakfast better tasteing, I wouldnt be hungry either if I was eating some of the stuff you guys do.

One realy good breakfast thats not that bad for you is…

1-2 burito shells
2-4 eggs scrambeled
1-2 potatos cut up and fryed
ground beef
cheese
ketchup
sour cream

Breakfast burito’s!

Also, if fast food gets you the calories and protein you need,then do what you gotta do man.