Started TRT, Heart Racing

-age 48
-height 6’-2"
-waist 32
-weight 205
-describe body and facial hair - Receding hair line and body hair is thin. Facial is full

-describe where you carry fat and how changed - Over time began carrying around the waist

-health conditions, symptoms [history] - None except over the last few years I stopped making gains at the gym and could not lose weight so I went to a TRT doc and my t was low.

-Rx and OTC drugs, any hair loss drugs or prostate drugs ever - no hair loss or prostate drugs ever.
100 mg test cypionate E3.5D
500 iu HCG E3.5D I just started this and condition was present before i started it
.25 Adex EOD
~1mg Synthroid of some kind because my doc wants to improve TSH numbers

-lab results with ranges
This was about a week ago:
A full panel was not done but the first didn’t show any issues in other areas.
Total Testosterone 1018 ng/dL (348-1197)
Estriadol E2 19.8 pg/mL (7.6-42.6)
Free Testosterone 29.5 pg/mL (6.8-21.5)
T4 1.43 (.82-1.77)
TSH 3.8 (.45-4.5)

-describe diet [some create substantial damage with starvation diets] Normal lifters diet, high protein, healthy carbs. Clean.

-describe training [some ruin there hormones by over training] Been off for 6 weeks due to back injury and back for a week. Symptoms began before I went back to the gym and continue now

-testes ache, ever, with a fever? No

-how have morning wood and nocturnal erections changed - Yea, I have serious morning wood when before TRT I had none.

So, I feel freakin fantastic! I started TRT about 8 weeks ago but I have this racing heart issue. It’s not all the time but especially at night. I lay down and it starts so I can’t sleep. It’s been going on about 2 weeks. My heart races and I feel like my blood pressure spikes though when I saw the doc last week my blood pressure was fine. I’ve never had any blood pressure issues. I’ve read about the Iodine deficiency issue but I didn’t see where that was causation for racing heart, etc. I spoke to my dr about it last week and he cited the TSH was within range but needed to be improved and that it might just be that my T was so low for so long that my body chemistry is adjusting to it. I’m supposed to check-in with him mid-week but I’m worried enough that I’m posting on here. Anyone ever have this or see anything suspicious in my numbers? Any information would be much appreciated. Thanks!

Not saying it is all good for you and that you should not pay attention to it, but…here is my experience.

About 6 weeks into my TRT I had some heart racing issues, felt like adrenalin rushes. For me, it went away in a few weeks. Have no idea what the deal was. Blood pressure was slightly elevated but nothing big.

Mentioned it to my doctor but I was going to one of those drive through shoot you in the butt weekly clinics at the time and he blew it off.

I chalked it up to my body getting adjusted, who knows.

1 Like

Thanks ntex! I’m kind of riding it out for now like you did.

TT, FT and E@ numbers are great.

That seems like too much hCG which is often the highest cost component of TRT.
250iu hCG SC EOD is sufficient. Higher doses can create problems for some guys.

Thyroid:

• TSH should be closer to 1.0
  • T3, T4, fT3, fT4 should be midrange or a bit higher
  • T4 is good
  • fT3 is the active hormone and TSH suggests that fT3 is low or rT3 interfering with fT3.

Problem may easily be iodine deficiency if not using iodized salt. It is nuts to use thyroid meds to treat an iodine deficiency.
See the last paragraph in this post to eval overall thyroid function.

Your thyroid can easily drive fat gain. With your T and E2 numbers, you should be able to loose fat and improve patterns. Getting thyroid right and body temperatures are an important factor.

You problem may be transient and thyroid can be a component of this. If you have a lot of stress in your life or have had major stress events, your adrenals can be affected and rT3 can be elevated.

Please read the stickies found here: About the T Replacement Category - #2 by KSman

• advice for new guys
  • things that damage your hormones
  • protocol for injections
  • finding a TRT doc

Evaluate your overall thyroid function by checking oral body temperatures as per the thyroid basics sticky. Thyroid hormone fT3 is what gets the job done and it regulates mitochondrial activity, the source of ATP which is the universal currency of cellular energy. This is part of the body’s temperature control loop. This can get messed up if you are iodine deficient. In many countries, you need to be using iodized salt. Other countries add iodine to dairy or bread.

As vital as iodine is to thyroid function; no one here has ever reported that their doctors have asked about iodine and I have never see that happen in my real-life contacts.

@KSman, Thanks for taking the time to reply to my post. I appreciate it. So, an update. I was really suspicious that I have the Iodine deficiency issue since I eat no Iodized salt. On Saturday I bought the Iodoral on Amazon then went to Vitamin Cottage and bought some there too. It was really low dose (.5mcg per capsule) but I thought wth. I’ve taken 15 of those a day since Saturday. Last night it was gone. No heart racing, no palpitations! I slept like a rock. I’m a little hesitant to say, “that was it” given all the variables involved but I think that is what it was. I knew it was gone yesterday afternoon just by how I felt. Now I’m wondering where my TSH will go being on synthroid and doing Iodine IR? I’ll have my numbers done again in about 5 weeks. I’ll post here in case it can be useful to anyone else.

Very interesting.

Note that high dose iodine increased TSH, so TSH labs will be meaningless re synthroid dose implications. Focus on body temperatures. Maybe you will not need synthroid. Will be an interesting lesson for your doc at well.

You must have an identifiable source of selenium to prevent possible inflammatory process in thyroid that can trigger thyroid autoimmune diseases. Suggest a good high potency B-complex multi-vit that has trace elements including 150-180 mcg iodine and 150-200 mcg selenium BUT not listing iron which health males need to avoid.