T Nation

Started Boxing, Conditioning Tips?

Hey guys...

Ive been training in a boxing gym for about a week now and I pretty much have zero endurance.

When I get into the ring and do pad work, Im typically dead at the end of the first round. The second round sends me into hell.

Im a good runner, and can jog long distances (3-4-5 miles) but sustaining the power I need through 4 rounds is killing me.

Any tips on some really good work outs to put me ahead of my competition?

And, How long does it normally take to get in a good 3 round fighting condition for a beginner.

Thanks guys.

google ross enmait. his site will have everything that you need its main focus is conditioning for boxers.

full of motivating videos of him training as well.

Took boxing a few years ago and we used to jump rope they would have a timer going for 3 mins and you would have to keep going for the 3 mins we also did alot of ab exercises and lower back.

I was and am a bigger guy at 270 and it took me 5-6 months to get where I could go 4 rounds but I would still be a bit tired into the 4th

Just do more pad work. Everyone is tired when they first start out, even if they were in good shape to begin with. You are using muscles in ways that you haven’t used them before and you are likely wasting a lot of energy due to poor technique/mental tension.

The more skilled you become at throwing your punches and performing your footwork along with building up endurance in your shoulders an upper body from punching, the less tired you will be and the longer you will be able to sustain your effort.

The speed bag is another good piece of equipment for developing shoulder endurance.

Heres my 2 cents;

Keep doing your running but do it with 1kg dumbells.
Do punchout drills with 1kg weights where you punch straight non-stop for 1min x 5-6rounds.
Do skipping mainly 3min rounds focus on speed.
Do shit load of push-ups few hundred a day - every morning (except sparring day)

I can’t even tell you how some of Enamait’s punch out drills have helped me. Truly fuckin exhausting man. Go look him up.

If anything,rope skipping and heavy bag work will help…conditioning(other than jogging miles!) outside of technique class has never hurt anyone.

To expand on what Sentoguy is telling you: The more efficient your technique(along with learning to relax,breathing properly)…the less extra motion and energy you will use…which means not being as tired. But to keep things in perspective…its only been a week…keep at it and everything will fall into place.

Yes. More pad work. In time you will gain the endurance necessary. I find that mixed Calisthenics workouts also really help when getting into shape.

Loosen up when boxing. New guys at our gym always start out tense as hell, tightening every muscle the entire time they work, either pads or sparring. That will really sap your stamina. Also, while doing pad work, hit them lightly at first. Concentrate on technique and speed and don’t worry about impressing anyone with how hard you are hitting the pads. Another problem I see with stamina with alot of new guys is not breathing (this was mentioned earlier). Make sure you are breathing out a little bit with every punch or kick. Then, in between combos, breath in. Deep breathing is very important to keeping one’s breath and nothing is more imtimidating than a guy that never runs out of breath.

Practice these techniques while shadow boxing. If you don’t shadow box, you should start. A great way to bring all these things together.

cheers

[quote]Sentoguy wrote:
Just do more pad work. Everyone is tired when they first start out, even if they were in good shape to begin with. You are using muscles in ways that you haven’t used them before and you are likely wasting a lot of energy due to poor technique/mental tension.
[/quote]

Bingo. You’ll gain the endurance as soon as you stick with it for a few weeks.

[quote]Warpig wrote:
Loosen up when boxing. New guys at our gym always start out tense as hell, tightening every muscle the entire time they work, either pads or sparring. That will really sap your stamina.

cheers[/quote]

I know I’ve said it before, but they always say that DLH fought “with clenched fists” and this often led to him gassing out in the later rounds.

Can’t say how important this is- stay loose. Punches are faster, more snap to them, and take less out of you.

heavy bag/shadowbox/jump rope

and the time it will take you to get in “fighting shape” depends upon the effort you put in at the gym. if you half ass it, you’ll never get better. bust your ass and profit!

Just keep up with the mitt work. You wanna be a good runner. RUN. Wanna be big. EAT and LIFT. You just got to keep at it. Give it a month. If you serious… next month you’ll be a little better. Next year… a fuck’N BEAST! Trust me.

Just keep up with the mitt work. You wanna be a good runner. RUN. Wanna be big. EAT and LIFT. You just got to keep at it. Give it a month. If you serious… next month you’ll be a little better. Next year… a fuck’N BEAST! Trust me.