T Nation

Started a New Job In a Gym

I’ve landed a job in a commercial gym, by mistake.

I went for a promotion and ended up ranting about how my skill set was being under utilised in my current position.

I never got the gig however they took my views on board and offered me to swap my current position for that of a gym instructor.

Always thinking the grass is greener, I accepted the position.

However a few days in the job and I’m thinking I fucked it up.

The PT’s are mostly high energy gimps who really don’t have a clue. They’re really are starting to get on my nerves. I’m bamboozled by their pig ignorance.

However need to play the game and all that stuff!

So how do I navigate myself throughout the fitness industry? What tactics, are vital, in order to thrive in this environment?

Would be great to get some feedback from anyone who works in a gym.

[quote]ChongLordUno wrote:

I went for a promotion and ended up ranting about how my skill set was being under utilised in my current position.

I never got the gig however they took my views on board and offered me to swap my current position for that of a gym instructor.

The PT’s are mostly high energy gimps who really don’t have a clue. They’re really are starting to get on my nerves. I’m bamboozled by their pig ignorance.

So how do I navigate myself throughout the fitness industry? What tactics, are vital, in order to thrive in this environment?

Would be great to get some feedback from anyone who works in a gym.[/quote]

Worked in one for about 8 months. Worst job ever. Every trainer thinks they are the shit, when in reality they are shit. Are you personal training or just a general floor instructor?

Have you tried hitting them?

[/quote]

Gay 4 Pay

[quote]niksamaras wrote:
Worked in one for about 8 months. Worst job ever. Every trainer thinks they are the shit, when in reality they are shit. Are you personal training or just a general floor instructor?[/quote]

Yeah, these guys think the sun shines out their arses.

In saying that I’m remaining guarded and not talking about anything training.

I’m doing floor instructor right now however will eventually move onto personal training.

worked in commercial gyms for years, i can tell you that you need to know WHY you’re there.
Are you there to be an employee? are there for money? are you there for your own goals? are you there to help people?

For me, i generally ignore the other trainers and focus on how I can help clients and patrons. If you really care about the people you can help, youll get busier and make more money.

If there is alot of beaurocracy at your gym, KNOW it, and know how to work it for your advantage.
Otherwise you’re just an employee

Buckfast 4 breakfast is the answer.

Frontal Lobotomy (responsable for higher thinking) my brother. It will be the only way you will be able to put

up with all the Idiocy that you are going to be exposed to … my condolences !

[quote]Nards wrote:
Buckfast 4 breakfast is the answer.[/quote]

and post workout obviously

Would be great to get some feedback from anyone who works in a gym.[/quote]

Where is it that you are working?

To do well you have to use a better avatar. That really hurts your cred. When does your bet end so you can change your avatar? Flaming Ghey does not work in the gym, but maybe with the ladies. They don’t feel so threatened.

Most PT’s seem to praise variety, gimics, and trends. but I’ve found that if you quietly go about your buisiness training people with the basics, working on form and progression, and solid routines. The results will speak for themselves, this aproch mabey slow and will take a year or more, but clients will start to migrate to you as they see your people getting fit, and the other trainer’s people looking the same, mth after mth.

It took me three years to build up my clients at a gym I trained at, I ended up with over 30 clients and the other PT’s were forced to recheck thier methods. This was my personal experiance, but in the end I made a good living this way, goodluck

There is this annoying shit bag trainer at my gym. If I told him I’d let him pretend train me for paying me 50$ an hour maybe he would die of pulmonary embolism?