T Nation

Starr 5x5= Results!

Probably the most fun I’ve had on a program and especially grueling.

Squat
245 -> 290 +45 lb

Deadlift
365x3 -> 405 +40 lb

Bench
215x3 (struggling) -> 260 easy (should be able to try 275 on Sunday) so +60 lbs

Row
Haven’t Tested Yet but should be
155 -> 205 +50 lbs

Incline
185 -> 235 +50 lbs

Bodyweight
196 -> 211 (at peak) +15 lbs currently 203 +7 lbs
(This is not to say I gained 15 lbs of muscle but 15 lbs of magic X where X is bone, organ [you never know], muscle and fat)

Things I want to improve.

Clean: I need to do this more often
Squat: Still sucks
Deadlift: still sucks but I hate the back pump especially when I have to do the little things
Bench: 315 by July should be possible
Calves: Still look sickly
How I will do it.
Cleans: Replacing Rows with Cleans
Squat: Just do the program again
Deadlift: Ditto
Bench: Ditto

Questions: [b]
Anyone attempt to use chains or bands on the 5x5 repetition day (not the ramp days) for a Westside approach?

Anyone replace situps with OHS and the weighted hypers with GM? OHS because I hate situps with a passion. GM to incorporate chaos training.
[/b]

I also never did the curls or triceps work because it takes too long.

Thats insane bro, and good timing too, I’m starting this program (except with cleans and high pulls) in May.

Can I just ask you how the program fared for you in terms of time taken per workout, how you ate and your fatigue levels.

Thanks!

[quote]themonthofjun wrote:
(This is not to say I gained 15 lbs of muscle but 15 lbs of magic X where X is bone, [/quote]organ [you never know][quote], muscle and fat)[/quote]

So are you saying that your dick grew longer?

5x5 really is a great program, huh?

I’ve done it once, and it also made all my lifts go up a lot (although my penis stayed the same size). It was grueling in the last few weeks, but worth it. I’m looking forward to going through it again.

I would advise you not to do 2 5x5’s back to back. Take a month or so revolving around 4x8 or 3x10. Work those biceps and triceps, do some shoulder work. 5x5 is tough on the body, so let it rest a bit before you go head-to-head with another cycle.

Good progress on those lift numbers, by the way :slight_smile:

Which 5x5 in particular did you do?

I run this routine, or a slightly modified version of it 2-3 times per year. It is fantastic in my opinion for building strength, as well as size if your eating for it. I’m actually coming off of 6 weeks of “cutting” for a vacation next week, LOL, and even on reduced cals, I’m keeping strength, and increasing it in some ways, across the board.

I am doing the same thing right now. I am in week 4.

I am doing Squat, Dip, Cleans MF and squat, incline, Pullup on Wednesday. I chose dips and pullups instead of bench and deads to mitigate some injuries I am experiencing.

IMO The best thing about the program is it keeps you on track and focused on improving your lifts from week to week.

http://www.geocities.com/elitemadcow1/5x5_Program/Linear_5x5.htm

[quote]Shoebolt wrote:
Thats insane bro, and good timing too, I’m starting this program (except with cleans and high pulls) in May.

Can I just ask you how the program fared for you in terms of time taken per workout, how you ate and your fatigue levels.

Thanks![/quote]

First and 2nd weeks I was out of there in approximately an hour. 3rd and 4rd week 1.5 hours at least (I also dropped assitance). After that it took between 40 min to an hour (deload+intensification is 3x3).

[quote]Miserere wrote:
themonthofjun wrote:
(This is not to say I gained 15 lbs of muscle but 15 lbs of magic X where X is bone, organ [you never know], muscle and fat)

So are you saying that your dick grew longer?

5x5 really is a great program, huh?

I’ve done it once, and it also made all my lifts go up a lot (although my penis stayed the same size). It was grueling in the last few weeks, but worth it. I’m looking forward to going through it again.

I would advise you not to do 2 5x5’s back to back. Take a month or so revolving around 4x8 or 3x10. Work those biceps and triceps, do some shoulder work. 5x5 is tough on the body, so let it rest a bit before you go head-to-head with another cycle.

Good progress on those lift numbers, by the way :slight_smile:

Which 5x5 in particular did you do?[/quote]

Penis did grow from 11.5 inches to 15 inches.

I am taking off for two weeks just testing my maxes in all my lifts + having fun in the gym.

I guess I’ll do some curls and JM Presses or something.

I did the advanced because I wanted the extra tonnage (for some reason I don’t remember) and I liked the deload to 3x3. Next time I am doing the Intermediate replacing rows with cleans.

[quote]Hawkson101 wrote:
I am doing the same thing right now. I am in week 4.

I am doing Squat, Dip, Cleans MF and squat, incline, Pullup on Wednesday. I chose dips and pullups instead of bench and deads to mitigate some injuries I am experiencing.

IMO The best thing about the program is it keeps you on track and focused on improving your lifts from week to week.

http://www.geocities.com/elitemadcow1/5x5_Program/Linear_5x5.htm[/quote]

“Provides pure numbers to shoot for”.

[quote]Rotlex wrote:
I run this routine, or a slightly modified version of it 2-3 times per year. It is fantastic in my opinion for building strength, as well as size if your eating for it. I’m actually coming off of 6 weeks of “cutting” for a vacation next week, LOL, and even on reduced cals, I’m keeping strength, and increasing it in some ways, across the board.[/quote]

I’d be afraid to do this on the velocity diet. I actually went to 3x5 deads from 5x5 (it says you can do that) because of how fucking hard it is + it takes forever.

[quote]themonthofjun wrote:
Rotlex wrote:
I run this routine, or a slightly modified version of it 2-3 times per year. It is fantastic in my opinion for building strength, as well as size if your eating for it. I’m actually coming off of 6 weeks of “cutting” for a vacation next week, LOL, and even on reduced cals, I’m keeping strength, and increasing it in some ways, across the board.

I’d be afraid to do this on the velocity diet. I actually went to 3x5 deads from 5x5 (it says you can do that) because of how fucking hard it is + it takes forever.[/quote]

LOL, trust me, I know, it sucks, hehe. But man, the results you can achieve are truly amazing. I’ve been running a periodized version and have dropped back to 3x3 on all but assistance lifts for the past two weeks, and I’m STILL dying. Thanks God I’m heading to the house of mouse next Friday for some rest and relaxation, LOL.