Starbucks and Race

Try what I did:

I went to Starbacks, and decided to have some fun. I talked to the barista when he tried to “engage” me. I then asked him, “Why are there so few Starbucks in the inner-city? It’s sad that minorities have to drive to the suburbs to enjoy your product. Why is that?”

Oh it quickly went downhill from there.

That’s racist.

[quote]countingbeans wrote:

[quote]usmccds423 wrote:

You tip barista’s (I’m thinking Starbucks to go coffee not being served at a table here)?

[/quote]

When I pay in cash, yes. As the son of a server… I am a very generous tipper, to anyone that will take it. [/quote]

So-so service: 10%
typical service: double the tax
Good service: 20% or more
Outstanding service: 33%

[quote]angry chicken wrote:

Frankly, if I’m walking up to a counter and ordering something, I’m not giving a tip. If I’m sitting down and they bring it to me, I’m very generous. At the counter, I’m not being “served”, I’m making a purchase. Big difference [/quote]

I’m kinda surprised to hear you say this considering your bar tending background.

Anyway, one thing I do differently from what I hear you guys saying is I never leave loose change. I always round (up) to the nearest 25 cents on small orders or to the nearest dollar on more pricey sit-down meals. I imagine they’d prefer not to deal with the pennies nickels and dimes.

Maybe what they’re really thinking when I drop a dime and two pennies back in my pocket is “I’m not too proud, I’ll take that!” haha

I’m more in the “who cares?” category on this one. If they want to make some sort of a social statement, and people choose to buy there, so be it.

We don’t have a Starbucks here locally, so I rarely buy a drink there anyhow, and I’m generally with smh - the coffee isn’t anything to brag about, so I generally go for ‘mom and pop’ coffee outlets. However, I thought the uproar was overboard.

[quote]JR249 wrote:
I’m more in the “who cares?” category on this one. If they want to make some sort of a social statement, and people choose to buy there, so be it.

We don’t have a Starbucks here locally, so I rarely buy a drink there anyhow, and I’m generally with smh - the coffee isn’t anything to brag about, so I generally go for ‘mom and pop’ coffee outlets. However, I thought the uproar was overboard. [/quote]

I thought the uproar was fitting since Starbucks is the poster child for irresponsible millennials whose white guilt stops them from finding a job.

I mean, I’m pretty sure this is Starbuck’s PR director.

Lol, even this meme is associated with Starbucks…

These people dont’ even put the cream or sugar in for you. Jesus. [/quote]

They will if you ask nicely.

[quote]NorCal916 wrote:
Has anyone been following this? Starbucks baristas engaging customers in a “racial dialogue” while placing their order. So you pay $4 for a cup of coffee AND get a lecture on White Privilage… And how long did this last??

http://www.foxnews.com/leisure/2015/03/23/starbucks-baristas-stop-writing-race-together-on-cups/[/quote]

You have to understand, Starbusks is a Super-proud, socially aware company that serves mostly white people and so they have to employ twenty-somethings to remind you of their righteous social justice, man!

[quote]LIFTICVSMAXIMVS wrote:

These people dont’ even put the cream or sugar in for you. Jesus. [/quote]

They will if you ask nicely.[/quote]

lmao… True, true

[quote]on edge wrote:

[quote]angry chicken wrote:

Frankly, if I’m walking up to a counter and ordering something, I’m not giving a tip. If I’m sitting down and they bring it to me, I’m very generous. At the counter, I’m not being “served”, I’m making a purchase. Big difference [/quote]

I’m kinda surprised to hear you say this considering your bar tending background.
[/quote]Why? Starbucks baristas make like $10.00 / hr. When I bartended, I made like $2.50 (or nothing at all). Starbucks has a line where they wait to be served individually, pay up and LEAVE the counter. Bars have an open counter, I serve who the fuck I want, and then they sit down at my bar to enjoy the angry chicken show… Apples to oranges IMHO. Also, I set some of my shots ON FIRE!!! Show me a barista that does THAT! LOL[quote]

Anyway, one thing I do differently from what I hear you guys saying is I never leave loose change. I always round (up) to the nearest 25 cents on small orders or to the nearest dollar on more pricey sit-down meals. I imagine they’d prefer not to deal with the pennies nickels and dimes.

Maybe what they’re really thinking when I drop a dime and two pennies back in my pocket is “I’m not too proud, I’ll take that!” haha

[/quote]

When I do tip, I am VERY generous. And I sometimes tip my Dunkin Doghnuts guy who makes my coffee in the morning, BECAUSE HE SEES MY TRUCK PULLING IN AND HAS IT READY FOR ME. If I have to walk up and order, then they don’t get a tip.