T Nation

Star Wars Spin-Off Movies Coming

Yesterday, The Walt Disney Co. unveiled plans to make a number of spin-off movies set a long time ago in a galaxy far, far away â?? in addition to the post-Return of the Jedi trilogy that had already been announced.

Entertainment Weekly has learned details on two of the spin-off projects: A young Han Solo saga, focusing on the wisecracking smugglerâ??s origin story, and a bounty hunter adventure with Boba Fett at the center of a rogueâ??s gallery of galactic scum.

Several sources close to the projects confirmed this was the direction the development was taking, although each cautioned itâ??s still very early in the process and, well, the deal could always be altered futher. Lucasfilm and Disney declined to comment on the information.

The Han Solo story would take place in the time period between Revenge of the Sith and the first Star Wars (now known as A New Hope), so although itâ??s possible Harrison Ford could appear as a framing device, the movie would require a new actor for the lead â?? one presumably much younger than even the 35-year-old Ford when he appeared in the 1977 original.

The Boba Fett film would take place either between A New Hope and The Empire Strikes Back, or between Empire and Jedi, where the bounty hunter was last seen plunging unceremoniously into a sarlacc pit. Exactly who would play him isnâ??t much of a complication â?? in the original trilogy, he never took off his helmet. And in the prequels, we learned he was the son of the original stormtrooper clone, played by Temuera Morrison, whoâ??s still the right age for the part if his services were required.

In addition to bringing back two fan-favorite characters as the leads of their own films, the Han Solo and Boba Fett projects would also allow Darth Vader, in full-on black death-metal gear, to return as a villain, since placing the spin-offs within the original trilogy would mean he is still alive and hissing. That timeline would also open the door for a return from visit with everyoneâ??s favorite degenerate slug-like gangster, Jabba the Hutt.

Walt Disney Co. chairman and CEO Bob Iger announced the existence of spin-off plans yesterday as part of the companyâ??s quarterly earnings report. He said the screenwriters working of the stand-alone films are Simon Kinberg (Mr. & Mrs. Smith, Sherlock Holmes) and Lawrence Kasdan (screenwriter of The Empire Strikes Back, Raiders of the Lost Ark and the filmmaker behind The Big Chill.)

The pair are also involved in the drafting of the new trilogy, with Michael Arndt (Little Miss Sunshine, Toy Story 3) penning the first of the series, which J. J. Abrams has agreed to direct. That film is scheduled to hit theaters in 2015.

There is no indication who might direct the Boba Fett and Han Solo films if they end up coming to fruition. Joe Johnston, director of Captain America and The Rocketeer, originally designed the armor for Boba Fett and told Screenrant he would like to make a film based around the character. Recently, Robert Rodriguez told MTV he would jump at the chance to make a Han Solo film if it were offered to him â?? although that seemed more like casual interest than a serious proposal.

The recent novel Scoundrels, by sci-fi author Timothy Zahn, focused on the exploits of Solo in the period between A New Hope and Empire as he set up an Oceanâ??s 11-type heist of a gangsterâ??s fortune. But sources said it was not the basis for any film currently in the works.

As for other spin-offs, Ainâ??t It Cool reported Monday that a Yoda-centric film may be in the works, and earlier last month Vulture reported Zack Snyder may create a Seven Samurai-inspired Star Wars spin-off, although the filmmaker later said that was untrue.

Lucasfilm has ramped up its development in recent months under the new leadership of Kathleen Kennedy, who stepped in as co-chair of the company as Star Wars creator George Lucas stepped back and sold the company to the Walt Disney Co.

Kennedy, who has her eighth nomination for the Best Picture Oscar this year as producer of Lincoln, has a long track record of making films that strike a nerve with the original Star Wars generation, among them E.T. the Extra-Terrestrial and everything from Gremlins to The Goonies and the Back to the Future movies.

The question now: If these films do happen, who would you cast as a young Han Solo â?? or should they cast someone as relatively unknown as Ford once was?

I have a friend that works for what I guess was Lucasfilm but now he works for Disney.

He had a meeting with Lawrence Kasdan and some other people last week and in a joint facebook discussion he and a couple of our other friends have he asked us if we knew any good WWII or even Western movies that have a satisfying ending with a large battle and a dangerous objective.

It was exciting to think that in some small way something I say could possibly help influence the ending of a new Star Wars movie. Though of course I highly doubt it a Helluva lot.

I’d say give it to new blood. Why not cast somebody we’ve never seen before on the big screen? They are already taking a gamble on making these spin offs in the first place. But man I’m not going to lie, I’m definitely more excited to see these two movies than the next 3 episodes they are planning (as of right now).

Not too long ago I finished Reading the Bounty Hunter Wars, Bobba Fett’s story in there basically covers what happens after he gets out of the Sarlacc Pit, and it was pretty entertaining. For something like this, I hope they don’t just rush something out for the cash ins, I’d actually want these two to be decent Star Wars movies.

I would like for them to have movie or two a year…and thus mimic the Marvel franchise, which hasn’t made a misstep yet in my opinion.

The way Marvel is going reminds me of the old serials from the 30s.

[quote]Nards wrote:
I would like for them to have movie or two a year…and thus mimic the Marvel franchise, which hasn’t made a misstep yet in my opinion.

The way Marvel is going reminds me of the old serials from the 30s.[/quote]
The amazing spiderman sucked other than that though you’re right excluding daredevil, some of the xmen movies etc… I know they didn’t make those movies. Anyways, the movie I most want to see is an Old Republic movie and a Darth Sidious/Darth Maul origin story.

[quote]sardines12 wrote:
Anyways, the movie I most want to see is an Old Republic movie and a Darth Sidious/Darth Maul origin story. [/quote]

That would be awesome!

I am not looking forward to origin stories really. I would rather just see ‘sequels’ of sort moving the timeline post return of the jedi forward in the universe. Am I alone in this?

[quote]Waittz wrote:
I am not looking forward to origin stories really. I would rather just see ‘sequels’ of sort moving the timeline post return of the jedi forward in the universe. Am I alone in this? [/quote]

I wanna see that too I but I want more back stories too.

Personally I hope they cast all the original actors for the new EP 7 since they have all aged it will play nicely in the story line. And I hope they build way more models and get off the CGI band wagon. And all of them should be a tad more gritty in feel

[quote]dirtman wrote:

[quote]Waittz wrote:
I am not looking forward to origin stories really. I would rather just see ‘sequels’ of sort moving the timeline post return of the jedi forward in the universe. Am I alone in this? [/quote]

I wanna see that too I but I want more back stories too.

Personally I hope they cast all the original actors for the new EP 7 since they have all aged it will play nicely in the story line. And I hope they build way more models and get off the CGI band wagon. And all of them should be a tad more gritty in feel[/quote]

Agreed on the last part. I personally feel like Jim Henson moved the film industry forward in this regard where CGI takes it backwords and makes things a bit lazy(that being said the tiger from life of pi was a great exception to my opinion)…could just be me here.

I heard they were going to structure the films similar to the way they’re doing the Avengers. Where they give individual characters movies to themselves and then also do movies involving all of them together.

I just hope they don’t fucking bubblegum it up. By that I mean make it so an adult can enjoy the movie.

I think that there is virtually no way that they will not absolutely butcher the remakes.

The spin offs have hope but the remakes are doomed to suck balls.

[quote]gregron wrote:
I think that there is virtually no way that they will not absolutely butcher the remakes.

The spin offs have hope but the remakes are doomed to suck balls.[/quote]

What remakes …they are redoing eps 1-6?

[quote]dirtman wrote:

[quote]gregron wrote:
I think that there is virtually no way that they will not absolutely butcher the remakes.

The spin offs have hope but the remakes are doomed to suck balls.[/quote]

What remakes …they are redoing eps 1-6?[/quote]

I thought that they were? I think I remembered reading that somewhere but maybe(hopefully) it was wrong.

Upon further review the ruling on the field is overturned. (Thankfully)

What a relief! Haha

[quote]gregron wrote:
Upon further review the ruling on the field is overturned. (Thankfully)

What a relief! Haha[/quote]
x2

I thought it was just 7 8 and 9 they were doing or something like that

[quote]dirtman wrote:

[quote]gregron wrote:
Upon further review the ruling on the field is overturned. (Thankfully)

What a relief! Haha[/quote]
x2

I thought it was just 7 8 and 9 they were doing or something like that[/quote]

Yeah apparently. I swear that I read a headline saying that Disney had purchased the franchise and was doing some remakes.

I guess that’s what happens when you just read the headlines.

[quote]Waittz wrote:
I am not looking forward to origin stories really. I would rather just see ‘sequels’ of sort moving the timeline post return of the jedi forward in the universe. Am I alone in this? [/quote]

Rise of the Sith Ewoks.

[quote]Ripsaw3689 wrote:

[quote]Waittz wrote:
I am not looking forward to origin stories really. I would rather just see ‘sequels’ of sort moving the timeline post return of the jedi forward in the universe. Am I alone in this? [/quote]

Rise of the Sith Ewoks. [/quote]

They need to make an all Ewok spin off movie.

[quote]gregron wrote:
They need to make an all Ewok spin off movie.[/quote]

They did. It was made for TV in the 80’s