T Nation

Star Struck

You ever meet someone famous (or important to you) and feel so overwhelmed that you just choke up?

I’ve met a lot of famous or semi-famous people in the course of my work – primarily politicians — Bush I, Bush II, Cheny, Clinton, Obama have been through our offices. They are all generally looking for money, and I couldn’t give a piss about any of them.

The entertainment lawyers always have people coming in and out, TV people, movie stars, rappers, etc.

Anyway, Bob Dylan was in the office recently and had some work related to a buisness transaction that required me to be involved. (Vague, I know. That’s on purpose.)

Probably means nothing to most of you, but I used to listen to Dylan on the beach, every day, growing up.

Listened to “Don’t think Twice” about 10,000 times after a break up with the love-of-my-life when I was 16. Listened to it after my first wife died about 20,000 times.

So there I was in a board room with 20 lawyers and agents and accounts and shmucks. The usual.

I go to do my bit, and I all but completely choked up, not sure why. Managed to do my bit, but was completely overwhelmed, remembering teenage emotions and angst, and that was many, many years ago for me.

It actually helped that Mr. Dylan was a shrewd guy and asked pointed business questions – that is what I do, and handled that with ease.

All went well.

At the end of the meeting, they called for the firm car to take him where he needed to go. He asked what the car would be, and I said “a Cadillac — it’s a good car to drive after a war.”*

He laughed, hit me on the shoulder and told me I was “probably the only one in the room who knew what that meant and that I was all right – for a lawyer,” and walked out.

Good day to have this time of year.

  • from Talking WWII Blues.

Awesome story

[quote]Derek542 wrote:
Awesome story [/quote]

Thanks. Kind of random, I know.

Who would think a singer could do that to a grown man? And he’s not even a good singer. Just a heck of a song writer.

That is a cool story, but I’m surprised you understood him. I’ve met quite a few famous people (mostly athletes), but they bleed the same red I do so I don’t sweat it. Did met Kid’n’Play in an airport when I was a li’l guy but had to get my dad to get their autograph for me 'cause I was too shook to introduce myself. When I was living in Portland an actor from the tv show “Leverage” invited me out for beers, but I never got around to it.

[quote]Jewbacca wrote:

[quote]Derek542 wrote:
Awesome story [/quote]

Thanks. Kind of random, I know.

Who would think a singer could do that to a grown man? And he’s not even a good singer. Just a heck of a song writer.[/quote]

Eh never met anybody famous, so dont know how I would react. Probably be different if it was through work or not. Who knows.

Ha, nice. Mine is far less interesting but,

I’m a diehard Packers fan. I worked in a Best Buy in Greg Jennings’ home town. He came in to my lane, and I was so dumbfounded, I made myself look like a total ass. Forgot to show him the Packers shirt I had on underneath my BBY polo. D’oh.

Yeah, I was star struck. Super cool, humble, and nice guy though!

Cool story

Have actually seen quite alot of famous people - supermodels, Hollywood actors, singers, politicians, bodybuilders, etc in various places.

It is always pretty weird to be honest you kind of never expect these people to be actual real people but equally don’t really give as much of a fuck as you think you would when you do.

One of the only ones I’ve really met and hung out with was Ron Jeremy.

I’ve met just about every wrestler who I ever liked growing up while training on the Indy circuit…

A lot of old school E.C.W and 90s W.W.F. Attitude guys…

Almost met Chyna

I would definitely faint if I just opened an elevator door and Stone Cold stepped on board lol

[quote]Ct. Rockula wrote:
I would definitely faint if I just opened an elevator door and Stone Cold stepped on board lol

[/quote]

Would you beg for a middle finger and a stunner?

[quote]Marzouk wrote:

[quote]Ct. Rockula wrote:
I would definitely faint if I just opened an elevator door and Stone Cold stepped on board lol

[/quote]

Would you beg for a middle finger and a stunner?[/quote]

Not only that but a beer bath and to be stomped in the corner too.

UM A few times I met paul plakas and one time he gave me his autograph.

Ahem, it reads…

To Jen:
Eat clean, train hard.

Paul Plakas

Yeah, he came into the gym I was working at and they filmed this show there and I was just jumping all over the place. WHAt a great day that was!

I also met local weather man mike sobel. He used to run this TV thingie called disney afternoon and stuff, so he was like double famous.

UMMMmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm
I met a famous Deaf comedian C J jones one time. That was also cool.

Ya, I get star struck very easy apparently.

[quote]Spock81 wrote:
UM A few times I met paul plakas and one time he gave me his autograph.

Ahem, it reads…

To Jen:
Eat clean, train hard.

Paul Plakas

Yeah, he came into the gym I was working at and they filmed this show there and I was just jumping all over the place. WHAt a great day that was!

I also met local weather man mike sobel. He used to run this TV thingie called disney afternoon and stuff, so he was like double famous.

UMMMmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm
I met a famous Deaf comedian C J jones one time. That was also cool.

Ya, I get star struck very easy apparently.[/quote]

I met Bowser once at the annual Koopa Konference. He was surprisingly pleasant.

I worked at a very expensive wedding venue back in college. The wedding party had George Strait play at the reception. When everyone was too drunk to carry on a normal conversation, I had the chance to talk with him while having a few Shiners. Awesome guy. Real laid back.

I played in a hockey game against Todd Bertuzzi from the Red Wings last Sunday. We still won.

This post was flagged by the community and is temporarily hidden.

This post was flagged by the community and is temporarily hidden.

Got to meet, train, and hang out with Randy Couture in a late 90’s or so. Just after he won the UFC title. Really laid back, liked to go out for beers and listen to music. I’m always impressed by people that display an elite level of talent and this was no exception. Whether its playing an instrument, playing a sport, singing, writing, whatever, most people don’t understand the huge jump between being excellent at something and being elite. His movements were effortless. If he wanted to take you down, you were going down, you were going to land however he wanted you to land, and he could carry on a conversation while doing it. Trying to take him down was like hitting a wall. He just wouldn’t go anywhere he didn’t want to go. It was something very interesting to experience.

[quote]Ct. Rockula wrote:
I’ve met just about every wrestler who I ever liked growing up while training on the Indy circuit…

A lot of old school E.C.W and 90s W.W.F. Attitude guys…

Almost met Chyna [/quote]

I met Mike Jones, a.k.a. Virgil about a year and a half ago. He liked to hang out and have a coffee while reading the news paper at a convenience store near the college I went to. After passing by a few times and not able to shake the fact that I recognized him but didn’t know why, I had to stop and ask him why he looked so familiar.

He’s a really nice guy.